Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Ryan Bailey - strange drugs case

Post by mdean » 04 Jan 2018, 11:46

Not entirely sure what I am reading here:
Because there were some badly sealed water bottles, Ryan didn't give a sample, this was brought to court as a failure to provide a sample.
He have a sample a few days later....... which was clear.

No suggestion of abuse of substance or contamination. Seems more complicated than it needs to be?! Could be reading it wrong. Literally non-story to be top of the page on BBC/RL

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/42558028

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Ryan Bailey - strange drugs case

Post by Flat Capper » 04 Jan 2018, 13:11

To me there certainly appears to be a story in this somewhere.

As I read it, RB was asked to give a sample and didn't which on the face of it is a direct contravention of the rules on testing, hence the intention to move to a ban.

However, RB's team have provided evidence that appears to support his reluctance to give a sample at the allotted time but volunteered one a few days later (I'm sure there's a few drunk drivers who'd like a similar option!).

As the anti-doping tsars have accepted RB's explanation he has no case to answer.

It does make me wonder what could have happened had ZH refused to give his dubious sample?
Spreading the Cas gene pool

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 04 Jan 2018, 13:24

Flat Capper wrote:To me there certainly appears to be a story in this somewhere.

As I read it, RB was asked to give a sample and didn't which on the face of it is a direct contravention of the rules on testing, hence the intention to move to a ban.

However, RB's team have provided evidence that appears to support his reluctance to give a sample at the allotted time but volunteered one a few days later (I'm sure there's a few drunk drivers who'd like a similar option!).

As the anti-doping tsars have accepted RB's explanation he has no case to answer.

It does make me wonder what could have happened had ZH refused to give his dubious sample?
Bailey’s test seems to have been a shambles with lots of procedural errors. For example, the initial contact as Bailey left the training field did not follow proper procedure, Bailey was not shown the required documentation before drinking the water provided by the Doping Officer, the Doping Officer did not ensure that there was a suitable environment for the test to take place and the water provided, which was meant to be supervised by both Doping officers at all times, was left for a significant time with only one of them.
I suspect the individuals concerned no longer undertake drug testing!

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 04 Jan 2018, 15:56

for the sake of any doubt - I wasn't making any parallel between KH and this test, I equally don't think there is anything shonky in the original refusal.

Just seemed to be an unclear debacle from start to finish. I do wonder sometimes about how some of these things are enforced. I know a lot of people tested regularly and find the process very much like being stopped by the police for routine matters - very much who you get and how you approach it seems to be the feedback.

Curious tale anyway.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 04 Jan 2018, 17:07

My point is that I can't believe the Bailey incident was a one-off so is there potential for others to cry foul play?

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 05 Jan 2018, 10:59

The system should be infallible. If not there's always doubt.

You have the potential for a player to lose his career and livelihood on a chance of it being wrong.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 05 Jan 2018, 13:50

mart0042 wrote:The system should be infallible. If not there's always doubt.

You have the potential for a player to lose his career and livelihood on a chance of it being wrong.
Quite right and more than likely the reason why the anti-doping body finally came to their senses in the Bailey case but it does raise questions in my mind about whether other tests have been carried out in a similar hap-hazard way? Has any other athlete suffered because of it?

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 06 Jan 2018, 22:35

Bailey would pass a dope test no problem,the lads a real dope!