Paul McShane

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Paul McShane

Post by InTheKnow » 12 Aug 2017, 23:29

This season we have had so many players stand out in the media eye.
Luke Gale winning plenty of MOM's
Zak Hardaker being the best signing in a long time
Grant Millington not only being a forward but throwing it around
Greg Eden scoring tries for fun

For me I have to say Paul McShane deserves massive raps from many people and fans involved with Cas. The work he puts in can easily be and go unnoticed but he deserves some major credit.
Not many number 9s in the game can play 80 minutes week in and week out and our own McShane does. From what I've seen, the supposed best hookers in the league, Roby and Clarke are subbed pretty often but not McShane.
As well as that the quick runs from hooker which make big yards, the dummy plays he puts on, the non stop tackling he puts in, the kicks from dummy half he makes as well as playing in the halves when called up on......he has proven to be an unbelievable talent in my eyes and this I want to be seen by everyone involved in Rugby League.

We have our superstars who are always being watched by other clubs and McShane goes about his business quietly while for me easily being one of the best players this year for Cas. If not the best in my eyes.

Absolute talent.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Paul McShane

Post by nottinghamtiger » 12 Aug 2017, 23:47

He has been the best 9 in SL this year (though Parcell has been good too!).
The SL Dream Team this year will be interesting. I'd expect us to make up almost half of that fictional team (Hardaker, Shenton, Eden, Gale, Millington, McShane, McMeekan, Moors).

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 13 Aug 2017, 21:04

it also goes unnoticed his length and accurancy of pass from dummy half. I don't think I've seen any one pass it further straight from the floor.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 13 Aug 2017, 21:19

After we beat Leeds in June, I posted my idea of the best 17 selected jointly from the Cas and Leeds squads on the RL fans Leeds forum. It generated a lot of friendly sensible discussion, but the Leeds fans were adamant that Parcell gets it over Mac. If you use Opta stats, Parcell gets it. Thoughts ?

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 13 Aug 2017, 21:29

cogito ergo sum wrote:After we beat Leeds in June, I posted my idea of the best 17 selected jointly from the Cas and Leeds squads on the RL fans Leeds forum. It generated a lot of friendly sensible discussion, but the Leeds fans were adamant that Parcell gets it over Mac. If you use Opta stats, Parcell gets it. Thoughts ?
Completely different players, but both great at what they do.
Parcell is more in the Daryl Clarke mould. Fast, great at backing up and fantastic running from dummy half.
McShane's distribution from the ruck is fantastic and he is more organised.
Parcell suits Leeds, particularly as they have slow halves so he is needed to inject some pace.
McShane suits Cas as we have Gale and Roberts who need quick, early ball.
Put them together and you have Cameron Smith.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 13 Aug 2017, 21:48

nottinghamtiger wrote:
cogito ergo sum wrote:After we beat Leeds in June, I posted my idea of the best 17 selected jointly from the Cas and Leeds squads on the RL fans Leeds forum. It generated a lot of friendly sensible discussion, but the Leeds fans were adamant that Parcell gets it over Mac. If you use Opta stats, Parcell gets it. Thoughts ?
Parcell is more in the Daryl Clarke mould. Fast, great at backing up and fantastic running from dummy half.
Parcell suits Leeds, particularly as they have slow halves so he is needed to inject some pace.
That's what makes the debate interesting. Just imagine how hard it is to pick a GB side, identifying both the best or the best-fit.

In addition to your comments about Parcell in attack, just look at his tackling stats. He gets all over the pitch!

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 14 Aug 2017, 10:04

I'd not heard of parcell but he's been the best player in their team by a country mile. Hearing rumours he's been offered a couple of clubs back home.

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 14 Aug 2017, 10:20

cogito ergo sum wrote:
nottinghamtiger wrote:
That's what makes the debate interesting. Just imagine how hard it is to pick a GB side, identifying both the best or the best-fit.

In addition to your comments about Parcell in attack, just look at his tackling stats. He gets all over the pitch!
On TotalRL there's a poll: Who, on current form, is the best British hooker in Super League?
Current results -
Daryl Clark (Warrington) - 5%
Micky Higham (Leigh) - 6%
Danny Houghton (Hull FC) - 7%
Michael McIlorum (Wigan) - 3%
Paul McShane (Castleford) - 56%
James Roby (St Helens) - 19%
Lloyd White (Widnes) - 1%
Kyle Wood (Wakefield) - 4%

I dont think its jus Cas fans that are voting so it looks like Macca is recognised for his contribution to our best ever season.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 14 Aug 2017, 10:22

Roby had a great game against us but can't back it up each week. Macca can and is doing at 80 minutes. A revelation.

Oldcasman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Oldcasman » 14 Aug 2017, 11:15

I think Paul has proved many times this season that at the present he is the best hooker in s/l Powell knew what he was doing when he signed him well done to both of them

Askham Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Askham Tiger » 14 Aug 2017, 11:26

I'm still yet to be convinced by Parcell. He's been outplayed by McShane on all three occasions this season, including the match at Headingley where his only use seemed to be kicking the ball away to waste time. Anonymous on Thursday against Wakefield, hardly stepped up against Hull in the semi.

Or perhaps it shows how poor the majority of the Leeds squad is when he's their best performing player.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 14 Aug 2017, 11:32

Askham Tiger wrote:I'm still yet to be convinced by Parcell. He's been outplayed by McShane on all three occasions this season, including the match at Headingley where his only use seemed to be kicking the ball away to waste time. Anonymous on Thursday against Wakefield, hardly stepped up against Hull in the semi.

Or perhaps it shows how poor the majority of the Leeds squad is when he's their best performing player.
That he's head and shoulders better than the other players shows how well he's played. But still Hall and Watkins walk into the England squad, it beggars belief.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 14 Aug 2017, 12:50

McShane has had an outstanding season.

The reason that people like Houghton have inflated stats is because they are targeted in defence. Houghton is someone who likes to scoot from dummy half and go himself. Team run at him a lot to tire him out. So he's excellent in defence but his attack is nullified then.

McShane isn't that type of player. He's a thinker and while does scoot occasionally, he's very much an extra pivot. I really think he should be on the plane to the World Cup as second hooker but don't think he will sadly.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 14 Aug 2017, 12:52

HuddsTigers wrote:McShane has had an outstanding season.

The reason that people like Houghton have inflated stats is because they are targeted in defence. Houghton is someone who likes to scoot from dummy half and go himself. Team run at him a lot to tire him out. So he's excellent in defence but his attack is nullified then.

McShane isn't that type of player. He's a thinker and while does scoot occasionally, he's very much an extra pivot. I really think he should be on the plane to the World Cup as second hooker but don't think he will sadly.
How many 9s will go? I think McShane will be 3rd choice behind Josh Hodgson and Roby.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 14 Aug 2017, 13:45

Depends on what WB wants the role of hooker to look like. Every coach has a game plan and selects accordingly. One example is having Hardacre at centre at Percival's expense and Rachford at FB. Macca is an organiser, I don't see any other hooker playing that way, but he may want a tackling machine or a "scooter" in which case he has Hodgson, Roby, Houghton, Daz.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 15 Aug 2017, 10:09

WB gives the hooker the role of playmaker extreme. Hodgson is allowed to direct play either side or do it himself. He's allowed to do it at canberra but at international level we have better players that can do it. Cameron Smith is the best at it and he knows when to give it partly because he plays with the spine of the team at Melbourne ie cronk and Slater.

I'd take 2, Roby or mcshane plus the option of Hodgson if WB wants to revert to his style. I'm thinking now that WB came late to coach our national team, his 5 hit ups and a kick is boring and out of date. DP uses an out and out attacking style. The obvious choice for the next coach.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Aug 2017, 10:42

Last few games bribane have thrown it about and played some good stuff bennett not one dimensionel hes a great coach hodgson i would think is nailed on to start at 9 id have mcsane on bench over roby but probs be other way around
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 15 Aug 2017, 18:56

DPs best signing, straight swap for scotty moore

takethetwo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by takethetwo » 15 Aug 2017, 19:31

Spanishtiger wrote:DPs best signing, straight swap for scotty moore
Depends how you look at it. We will never know if Macca would have gone over for the try which kept them in Super League.
Of course Mcshane is the better player , but without Moore Wakey would have been relegated , lost alot of good players and probably struggled to come back up.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 16 Aug 2017, 16:29

Yes, can't forgive Moore for that .....