Tri nations

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 28 Oct 2006, 10:39

why get on at senior,i thought he was one of our better players today and made at least two try saving tackles,its not his fault we persist in playing down the right with gleeson and carney who imo neither deserve there place in the side.

i agree there needs to be one or two changes mainly to the pack another prop and at loose forward with coley and wilkin would get in if i was coach and id have yeaman in for gleeson,but in general i dont think where that far off the money and with a bit of luck we would have won today and im confident gb will turn the kiwis over next time we play.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 28 Oct 2006, 10:45

Why Senior? Well perhaps because he is no longer the only player we have of the calibre required to partner Gleeson. Add to that the guy has had a pretty average season and waiting in the wings you have Kirk Yeaman.

Like Hock, Senior might have not been the worst player today, but that shouldn't force his selection given who else could be given a go there.

Too often in recent years, GB have held off from selecting good young / new talent. I appreciate they selected Roby but how long does Yeaman have to wait? Perhaps as long as Burrows and McGuire did???
Adrian Flynn's career low was playing for Featherstone - "Horrible Supporters"

SWISS TONY!!
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SWISS TONY!! » 28 Oct 2006, 12:27

Got to say we have wasted too many chances today, every time Price got the ball he looked dangerous, would like to see him play at 13, as i think we could get more out of him than o'loughlan, price is just a natural gifted player who may be unorthodox but is a kind of player that can cause any defence problems!

thought that gleeson and carney were poor, attacking wise they don't seem to gel, gleeson inparticular seems to be picked on his 2005 form and not last seasons! i agree we should put Yeaman in, but would that mean replacing carney with Raynor - just to keep some continuity between the players?

thought Robey had a cracking game, looked very dangerous!

also thought that morley was unlucky to be put on report for that tackle on Wiki - thought it was fair! but also agree he is not making the impact that he used to, maybe a good chance to play coley!

also thought gareth elis had a good game and as well as putting in a lot of good tackling, was a player that the kiwi's had problems putting to ground, if people arn't happy with Senior, then maybe Ellis should be the one to return back to centre, although i thought he played well today, defenceively anyway.

The reason we lost this game however was simply because we couldn't create anything near their try line! they defended very well, but we didn't test them enough, step forward Mr Price!
Long Live The Monkey Munch!!!

Sigon
Championship Player
Championship Player
Twitter: @nogis

Post by Sigon » 28 Oct 2006, 14:23

SWISS TONY!! wrote:thought that gleeson and carney were poor, attacking wise they don't seem to gel, gleeson inparticular seems to be picked on his 2005 form and not last seasons! i agree we should put Yeaman in, but would that mean replacing carney with Raynor - just to keep some continuity between the players?
Which is not a problem since moving Carney to the other wing. We could have a winger on the wing instead of a stand-off. You can move Pryce as you said above

We had too many players out of position for me.
Casforum is a non-profit website. We rely on donations and forum advertising to keep the site alive. If you'd like to donate please contact any administrator. In return we'll give you a shiny new forum rank!

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 28 Oct 2006, 21:47

I'm surprised noone has mentioned the similarities to the way Cas played far too often last season. GB could get up field easy enough but just lacked the finishing touch.

Withouth the aid of video replays it is almost impossible for me to point out why but the off-loads by NZ were far better timed and located.

I stand by my predictin we will go without a win throughout.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 28 Oct 2006, 21:52

FC, I believe I predicted a similar poor Tri Nations for GB and I must say if they were going to win any game, it'd have been today. Over recent years, GB have been competitive in the early games and often beaten or at least run Australia close, albeit with such games played in the UK.

NZ were desperate having lost their opening 2 games and would have been lacking some confidence, although the manner of defeat the week before could have been viewed as a positive. GB lacked direction, lacked ideas and as you rightly point out, ultimately lacked execution. I fear for the game next week as Australia have yet to hit top gear and when they do, it will be a cricket score.

Many things need to change before we can really feel the equal of Australia IMO.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 28 Oct 2006, 23:02

As we all know, the old BBC message boards were not worth reading one little bit, but following the move to the new 606 boards, I thought I'd look at reaction to todays game.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A16779685?s_fromedit=1

How's about this for the most pointless and ill thought comment ever!
Why doesn't rygby league join rugby union? It's practically the same game! Players are switching back and forth as they please anyways. It would be better to watch a better quality game than two okish games. All this celtic league and heniken cup, what are they? I dont care! It's the most boring thing iv'e seen on tely probably. Join, and make one big cometition - so that the standard is as good as the internationals. In football this is true, why not make it happen in rubgy, everybody would benifit.
:lol:

chodbin
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by chodbin » 29 Oct 2006, 18:37

Im afraid that no matter what side Brian Noble puts out GB have very little chance of winning the Tri-Nations.

In order to win it we must play 5 test matches in 5 weeks. Added pressure is now on as we have lost to NZ, anymore slip ups and its more or less goodbye.

Australia and NZ played 2 consecutive matches in the first 2 qualifying rounds and Australia will play 2 consecutive matches with the final qualifying match against GB then the final a week later. These two have now a week off between matches to patch up injured player and also to rest and do light training sessions.

Meanwhile GB have, as well as patching up players and intense training sessions, the added dissadvantage of traveling between Aus and NZ for matches.

Ah well

Half Acres Halfwit
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Half Acres Halfwit » 29 Oct 2006, 18:39

The boot`s on the other foot so to speak,did we not do the same when it was played over here.The team organising the fixtures always arrange them so as to give themselves an edge.

HEY YOU GU-UYS!!

chodbin
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by chodbin » 29 Oct 2006, 18:50

When it was over here I dont think any team played all their qualifiying matches over 4 consecutive weeks then a final.

There was no flying from country to country neither once Aus and NZ campped over here. ( or did one get played in France!!)

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 29 Oct 2006, 20:38

To be honest, I think its good that some games are in NZ and some Australia. For a start the NZ games are better timewise for me as they are done an dusted by 10:30am.

I've always found the Tri Nations a bit of a noddy competition when held over here. Run for the home team, all in favour of GB and they still lose!

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 30 Oct 2006, 01:12

I believe the fact that Aus/NZ play 2 games against each other before GB join the competition that puts GB at such a disadvantage. Anyway, Gareth Hock looked good which must say a great deal.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

Wharf Wafter
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Wharf Wafter » 30 Oct 2006, 13:17

Just to put things into perspective:

Hunt, Inglis, Lyon, Gasnier, King, Lockyer, Thurston, Civenoceva, Buderus,O'Meley, Hindmarsh, Mason, O'Donnel.

Unless GB move Pryce to Sand off and create the Saint Hb partnership (its not like it hasnt proved itself) It will be a very long 80mins. Playing "Names" rather than selecting on form WILL always be GB's downfall.

For god sake pick on form not past league performances that happened 3 year ago.
The art of being a good businessman is being a great middleman.

Long Live The Monkey Munch!!

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 30 Oct 2006, 20:12

Wharf Wafter wrote:Just to put things into perspective:

Hunt, Inglis, Lyon, Gasnier, King, Lockyer, Thurston, Civenoceva, Buderus,O'Meley, Hindmarsh, Mason, O'Donnel.

Unless GB move Pryce to Sand off and create the Saint Hb partnership (its not like it hasnt proved itself) It will be a very long 80mins. Playing "Names" rather than selecting on form WILL always be GB's downfall.

For god sake pick on form not past league performances that happened 3 year ago.
I'll tell you what says even more about the gulf in class, that Jamie Lyon can not get in the Austrlian side, not even to the bench.

The other thing is that Inglis, Hodges and King are all playing out of position and ever one of those playing in their current or preferred positions are leaps ahead of our boys. :evil:

stevem
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stevem » 31 Oct 2006, 00:09

Did any body notice that when the ref signalled for the clock to be stopped for time wasting at the scrum just before final try, the actual timekeeper kept the clock running throughout at least 30/60 secs. Brian Noble mentioned this but nobody seems to have picked up on it media wise.