Watkins signs for Gold Coast Titans

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Watkins signs for Gold Coast Titans

Post by HuddsTigers » 14 Jun 2019, 22:16

Confirmed. Last game is v Catalans and leaves on July 1st.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Watkins signs for Gold Coast Titans

Post by nottinghamtiger » 14 Jun 2019, 22:37

HuddsTigers wrote:Confirmed. Last game is v Catalans and leaves on July 1st.
The thing I find “unusual” about this whole situation is how it’s working with the salary cap.
To prevent ‘back ended’ deals, a player’s salary cap value is calculated by taking the value of his entire contract and dividing it by the number of years the contract lasts.
So if a player signs a three-year contract worth 100k in year 1, 150k in year 2 and 200k in year 3 (a total of 450k), the salary cap value each year would be 150k a year.
It seems pretty accepted that Watkins is leaving because he was promised a higher contract next season and now Leeds can’t fit that under the cap. But in reality, his cap value should be exactly the same each year. This suggests that Leeds haven’t disclosed the contract increase to the RFL for salary cap reasons, as it should have increased his value on the cap from the beginning of his contract.
There’s something fishy going on in my opinion.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 14 Jun 2019, 22:48

Nothing sinister.

The story is that Watkins is set to become a marquee player next season - so his salary would go above £175k but as he’s an English player he would only count as £75k. Leeds tried renegotiating his deal so he wouldn’t be any more (and subsequently a lower salary of equivalent value) which I’d imagine is because you can only have two marquee players, which they have in Hurrell and Merrin.

I wonder if Merrin is off and so rather than hand it over to Watkins, they want to try and attract another NRL player with the marquee.

All will become clear over next few months I would imagine.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 14 Jun 2019, 23:15

HuddsTigers wrote:Nothing sinister.

The story is that Watkins is set to become a marquee player next season - so his salary would go above £175k but as he’s an English player he would only count as £75k. Leeds tried renegotiating his deal so he wouldn’t be any more (and subsequently a lower salary of equivalent value) which I’d imagine is because you can only have two marquee players, which they have in Hurrell and Merrin.

I wonder if Merrin is off and so rather than hand it over to Watkins, they want to try and attract another NRL player with the marquee.

All will become clear over next few months I would imagine.
It wouldn’t be counted as 75k though. As you say, they can’t have three marquee players, so Leeds would have to count every penny of either Merrin’s, Hurrell’s or Watkins’ salary on the cap.
But even with the Marquee exemption, Watkins’ contract should be equal value every season in terms of the salary cap. Sounds to me like they have tried to “back-end” a deal and it’s not gone as they planned.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Jun 2019, 09:49

There’s nothing in the salary cap regulations talking about what you do. It just says it’s calculated based on the year. It says if a club tries to defer or delay payments, the payment still counts in that year.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 15 Jun 2019, 23:30

he's the first sacrificial lamb at the alrar of the emerald carnegie stadium. disgraceful treatment of a loyal clubman.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 17 Jun 2019, 09:58

lurcher wrote:he's the first sacrificial lamb at the alrar of the emerald carnegie stadium. disgraceful treatment of a loyal clubman.
Agree, over 10 years and thrown out. The thing is that there are a few wide than him there.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 17 Jun 2019, 23:03

mart0042 wrote:
lurcher wrote:he's the first sacrificial lamb at the altar of the emerald carnegie stadium. disgraceful treatment of a loyal clubman.
Agree, over 10 years and thrown out. The thing is that there are a few wide than him there.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 18 Jun 2019, 09:35

mart0042 wrote:
lurcher wrote:he's the first sacrificial lamb at the alrar of the emerald carnegie stadium. disgraceful treatment of a loyal clubman.
U
Wide = worse, width is not an issue.

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 27 Jun 2019, 14:28

Must of really upset someone at Leeds way he's been treated.
🐯 COYF!