Magic Weekend 2020.

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Magic Weekend 2020.

Post by heritage1926 » 15 May 2019, 14:54

Spurs to host Magic Weekend

Super League’s Magic Weekend could head to London for the first time in 2020.

Tottenham Hotspur FC are believed to be keen on hosting the two-day event in their fantastic new stadium. It will host NFL games and they have already secured rugby union’s European finals in 2021. Magic Weekend is being staged at Anfield in Liverpool this month.

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Magic Weekend 2020.

Post by Tiger53 » 15 May 2019, 15:37

Bad to worse to shocking for me.

Loved Newcastle, not interested in Liverpool and no chance of Tottenham, shiny new stadium or not.

Do the powers that be never learn? Attendances at the Challenge Cup Final dropping at an alarming rate in recent years. I know, let’s move Magic Weekend to North London too! Overpriced rip off for fans - it’s a great idea.

To quote my mate, they must get together in meetings and smoke pot for an hour before they come up with there ‘innovative ‘ ideas.

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 16 May 2019, 06:22

I would definitely go to Spurs for Magic weekend. Don't think it would happen though.

North Leeds Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by North Leeds Tiger » 16 May 2019, 12:50

Spurs do have their own Brewrery on site, so not all bad.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 17 May 2019, 09:38

The area isn't the best. Nice stadium though.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 17 May 2019, 17:42

I love Magic Weekend. I think it's a great concept and we don't have enough big events in the rugby league calendar. It's true rugby league fan fashion to knock off anything that's remotely different.

Trouble is, it's a concept that's will always upset someone, somewhere. Whoever gets the promoted team (unless it's Toronto) will always been seen as getting an advantage, though Leeds being dire at the moment kind of lessens that. You can't organise fixtures a week before because you need to sell the event well in advance.

Understand why they moved it to Liverpool with Wigan, Warrington and Saints on the doorstep with combined fanbases of 45-50k people. They have got a raw deal in recent years having to trek to Newcastle. Whoever the idiot was that organised Wigan v Catalans at Barcelona the week before though.....lack of brains.

Location wise, I suspect most of the people who criticise are the ones who like to enjoy a few bevvies (or ten) - not all, of course. Personally speaking, I'm not that fussed too much but I do think location and accessibility is fundamentally more important, which Anfield struggles with.

No issue with London - you can go direct on the train in the day, it's got a big population to market to on its doorstep and direct links from most major cities. New stadium feeling would probably generate a buzz too.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 17 May 2019, 19:12

HuddsTigers wrote:I love Magic Weekend. I think it's a great concept and we don't have enough big events in the rugby league calendar. It's true rugby league fan fashion to knock off anything that's remotely different.

Trouble is, it's a concept that's will always upset someone, somewhere. Whoever gets the promoted team (unless it's Toronto) will always been seen as getting an advantage, though Leeds being dire at the moment kind of lessens that. You can't organise fixtures a week before because you need to sell the event well in advance.

Understand why they moved it to Liverpool with Wigan, Warrington and Saints on the doorstep with combined fanbases of 45-50k people. They have got a raw deal in recent years having to trek to Newcastle. Whoever the idiot was that organised Wigan v Catalans at Barcelona the week before though.....lack of brains.

Location wise, I suspect most of the people who criticise are the ones who like to enjoy a few bevvies (or ten) - not all, of course. Personally speaking, I'm not that fussed too much but I do think location and accessibility is fundamentally more important, which Anfield struggles with.

No issue with London - you can go direct on the train in the day, it's got a big population to market to on its doorstep and direct links from most major cities. New stadium feeling would probably generate a buzz too.
I love Magic Weekend too. Anfield though has very little in its favour for this particular type of event though. I don’t really buy Newcastle was particularly bad for Wigan, Saints and Wire fans though. The event has never been in Yorkshire. They need to get over themselves

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 18 May 2019, 07:15

I think the idea of going to the new Tottenham stadium for the magic weekend is a test run for moving The Challenge Cup final there in the near future.

The new Wembley doesn't impress most R.L fans and we don't get close to filling the capacity now. Most observer's who have been to the new Spurs stadium have said its the best in the world by a good distance...not just the view of the pitch from any seat,but the choice and amount of facilities.

I think its a cash free stadium as well,contact less payments so the queue's for food and drinks will move fast!

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 18 May 2019, 11:43

As my work base is in North London, I'm in regular contact with many Spurs fans.

Even the most ardent of them will tell you that the immediate area around the ground is certainly not where you would take someone on a first date! It's definitely not family friendly.

The transport links are average.

If the final was to move from Wembley - why move it a few miles up the road to Spurs? OT or Newcastle are surely better options.

Could cause an issue with a date clash with the football season...