backchat

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

backchat

Post by lurcher » 05 Aug 2018, 00:31

don't know if any one else watched it this week but I found one comment very funny (sorry jinj mate)
it was being discussed that the top 4 was more or less certain so the fixtures for teams 5-8 were meaningless.
chris Irvine pointed out that they were far from meaningless as it was worth £75,000 for each position you climbed the table. he said that £75,000 would represent another player for chris chester's squad next year.
one of the other members of the panel was rugby league player agent craig Harrison (show me the money). his response was, "believe me £75,000 would be 3 players for chris chester" probably not chessies fault but just MC continuing to balance the books.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Spanishtiger
Verified

Re: backchat

Post by Spanishtiger » 05 Aug 2018, 03:03

Whilst you may have found Craig Harrison's one liner hilarious Lurcher, for me player's agents in general are just another blight on our great game.
In my opinion they are the masters of smoke and mirrors, inventing offers to pressure the clubs, filling player's minds with hype and BS, case in point being Adz Milner's supposed NRL offers. (Watch the debate from 2 weeks ago when Adz was on then make up your own mind).

Lucky for us we signed him up before his England call up, probably saved the club 50k over the length of his contract.

Granted Mr. Harrison is not Andy Clarke, he of the Solomona saga, who for me should have had his RL licence revoked.
Out of interest, who was Callum McClelland's agent ?

Over the 22 years of SL about £1b of sky money has gone into the game, almost all of which has been spent on player's wages. Assuming that the agent takes 10%, that's £100m shared between half a dozen blokes that contribute very little to the game. And who seem quite happy to tout our best players to the highest bidder, be it RU or NRL.

If we were talking about Soccer where agents can negotiate image rights etc then fair play. But we're talking about a sport where the average salary is 70k and well respected players like Ollie Holmes have to buy their own boots.

Last year I had the pleasure of chatting for an hour or so with a former 1990s England footballer who is now working in a voluntary capacity, advising young soccer players how to deal with agents, not to believe everything that they're told, and not to make the mistakes that he did. If you bear in mind that this footballer's contract in Scotland was worth more 20 years ago than anyone in SL is earning now it probably says quite a lot about agents per se.

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 05 Aug 2018, 09:59

lurcher wrote:don't know if any one else watched it this week but I found one comment very funny (sorry jinj mate)
it was being discussed that the top 4 was more or less certain so the fixtures for teams 5-8 were meaningless.
chris Irvine pointed out that they were far from meaningless as it was worth £75,000 for each position you climbed the table. he said that £75,000 would represent another player for chris chester's squad next year.
one of the other members of the panel was rugby league player agent craig Harrison (show me the money). his response was, "believe me £75,000 would be 3 players for chris chester" probably not chessies fault but just MC continuing to balance the books.
No probs Lurcher, I'm not sensitive. :)
See pm.

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 05 Aug 2018, 15:05

RL agents take 3-5% at most, nowhere near 10%.

And if it wasn't for the decent ones like Howes & Harrison a number of players would have never got to SL in the first place never mind earn a decent living off of it.

Also Holmes doesn't have to buy his own boots, he will only wear Nike ones... Big difference. He could easily wear sponsored boots but he doesn't like Xblades ones, what he needs is a shop to sponsor him which I'm sure his agent will be on after the mess he got himself in the other week.

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 05 Aug 2018, 15:45

Spanishtiger wrote:Whilst you may have found Craig Harrison's one liner hilarious Lurcher, for me player's agents in general are just another blight on our great game.
In my opinion they are the masters of smoke and mirrors, inventing offers to pressure the clubs, filling player's minds with hype and BS, case in point being Adz Milner's supposed NRL offers. (Watch the debate from 2 weeks ago when Adz was on then make up your own mind).

Lucky for us we signed him up before his England call up, probably saved the club 50k over the length of his contract.

Granted Mr. Harrison is not Andy Clarke, he of the Solomona saga, who for me should have had his RL licence revoked.

Over the 22 years of SL about £1b of sky money has gone into the game, almost all of which has been spent on player's wages. Assuming that the agent takes 10%, that's £100m shared between half a dozen blokes that contribute very little to the game. And who seem quite happy to tout our best players to the highest bidder, be it RU or NRL.

If we were talking about Soccer where agents can negotiate image rights etc then fair play. But we're talking about a sport where the average salary is 70k and well respected players like Ollie Holmes have to buy their own boots.

Last year I had the pleasure of chatting for an hour or so with a former 1990s England footballer who is now working in a voluntary capacity, advising young soccer players how to deal with agents, not to believe everything that they're told, and not to make the mistakes that he did. If you bear in mind that this footballer's contract in Scotland was worth more 20 years ago than anyone in SL is earning now it probably says quite a lot about agents per se.
A few years ago I had a chat with a former player and he told me Ellery Hanley was on more money in 1994 than Sam Tompkins (the top paid player at the time) was on then. Ridiculous really when you think about it

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 05 Aug 2018, 19:53

tallguyx wrote:
Spanishtiger wrote:Whilst you may have found Craig Harrison's one liner hilarious Lurcher, for me player's agents in general are just another blight on our great game.

A few years ago I had a chat with a former player and he told me Ellery Hanley was on more money in 1994 than Sam Tompkins (the top paid player at the time) was on then. Ridiculous really when you think about it
RL had a higher profile back then, the RFL are a shambles and can't market the game at all and it's left the players earning far less than they should be.