Two-tier Super League idea

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Two-tier Super League idea

Post by callum_walker » 07 Mar 2018, 17:30

Do any of you actually agree with the idea? I thought I'd give my opinion here: https://uk.blastingnews.com/sport/2018/ ... 12827.html

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Two-tier Super League idea

Post by gateman » 07 Mar 2018, 17:56

I certainly don't agree with a reduction of super league, to me its a money grab from the so called bigger teams, we keep hearing we are a family game if so the strong should look after the weak not try and pick their pockets .

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 07 Mar 2018, 20:36

I always thought a conference type system would suit rugby league nobody would fear from relegation example

east conference HULL KR HULL FC CASTLEFORD WAKEFIELD FEATHERSTONE
central conference LEEDS HUDDISFIELD BRADFORD SALFORD HALIFAX
west conference WIGAN WARRINGTON ST HELENS WIDNES LEIGH
national conference TORONTO LONDON CATALANS TOULOSE COMBINED CUMBRIA TEAM

each team plays every body in a 23 game regular season playing teams in your conference home and away alternating who you play home and away each year in other conference . Top team in each conference goes through to a eight team playoff joined by the four highest points scores from any other conference so you could get more then two teams from any conference in the play offs. This would bring a stable position for clubs to be in no fear off relegation with options to bring in other teams and start new conference at start off any season for emerging clubs .

stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stuey » 08 Mar 2018, 13:11

The RFL will not be happy until they have a two-tier SL with Wigan, Warrington, Leeds, Hull, Toronto, London, Newcastle, Toulouse, Catalan & an US based team in the top Division, and everyone else in the next Division down.

Apart from when the first 4 teams are playing each other, hardly anyone will be watching the matches, but "we are expanding the game" will be their mantra.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 08 Mar 2018, 13:18

No saints in the top division ?

stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stuey » 08 Mar 2018, 13:38

Sorry, I meant Saints instead of Warrington.

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 08 Mar 2018, 15:24

stuey wrote:The RFL will not be happy until they have a two-tier SL with Wigan, Warrington, Leeds, Hull, Toronto, London, Newcastle, Toulouse, Catalan & an US based team in the top Division, and everyone else in the next Division down.

Apart from when the first 4 teams are playing each other, hardly anyone will be watching the matches, but "we are expanding the game" will be their mantra.
Re- my quote on War of the Roses.

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by InTheKnow » 08 Mar 2018, 21:16

flow wrote:I always thought a conference type system would suit rugby league nobody would fear from relegation example

east conference HULL KR HULL FC CASTLEFORD WAKEFIELD FEATHERSTONE
central conference LEEDS HUDDISFIELD BRADFORD SALFORD HALIFAX
west conference WIGAN WARRINGTON ST HELENS WIDNES LEIGH
national conference TORONTO LONDON CATALANS TOULOSE COMBINED CUMBRIA TEAM

each team plays every body in a 23 game regular season playing teams in your conference home and away alternating who you play home and away each year in other conference . Top team in each conference goes through to a eight team playoff joined by the four highest points scores from any other conference so you could get more then two teams from any conference in the play offs. This would bring a stable position for clubs to be in no fear off relegation with options to bring in other teams and start new conference at start off any season for emerging clubs .
I like this but then again I love the NFL. Would never happen though.