Wakefield start not that good

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
WallTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Wakefield start not that good

Post by WallTiger » 08 Mar 2018, 15:16

The problem I see for Wakey is that they have assembled a very good squad over the last couple of years who are looking like competing at the top end of the table but their Chairman when interviewed is always quick to point out that they spend well below the salary cap. However, their star players and more importantly their agents will expect much improved contracts when the time comes as there will be other clubs sniffing around and without a sugar daddy even with crowds of 6k (and this figure is based on large away followings from the likes of us, Leeds, Hull going to BV) then they may struggle to keep hold of them.

Something that has happened to us regularly in recent years but hopefully is now changing.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 08 Mar 2018, 16:06

reading league express I was surprised at the interview with arona where he seems to be giving wakey a nudge as his contract is up at the end of the season. if I was MC I'd make him a priority.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 08 Mar 2018, 18:02

WallTiger wrote:The problem I see for Wakey is that they have assembled a very good squad over the last couple of years who are looking like competing at the top end of the table but their Chairman when interviewed is always quick to point out that they spend well below the salary cap. However, their star players and more importantly their agents will expect much improved contracts when the time comes as there will be other clubs sniffing around and without a sugar daddy even with crowds of 6k (and this figure is based on large away followings from the likes of us, Leeds, Hull going to BV) then they may struggle to keep hold of them.

Something that has happened to us regularly in recent years but hopefully is now changing.
We didn't last year so can't see this season being any different. MC has a poker face, he's hinted that that's it for the cap this season but CC said we almost signed Mickey Higham when it was thought Wood was gonna be out for a long stretch. Take him with a pinch of salt sometimes. ;)

PSTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by PSTiger » 08 Mar 2018, 18:33

lurcher wrote:reading league express I was surprised at the interview with arona where he seems to be giving wakey a nudge as his contract is up at the end of the season. if I was MC I'd make him a priority.
He would be a good signing for us if we could pinch him. Could be tempted with him being good friends with Jesse.

SY Tiger

Post by SY Tiger » 08 Mar 2018, 21:13

Can he play full back

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 09 Mar 2018, 22:16

Wakey's next 4 are Wigan A, Widnes H, Warrington A Cas H.
If the cats are still at the top of the pole after these games then fair play to them. Their following 3 are against Hull, Leeds and Saints....

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 10 Mar 2018, 00:39

had a quick look on the wakey board. a poster has suggested which current players he would keep. MC asked where did he think the money would come from. I'd still put arona above kirmond for a new contract. just announce hirst as a 1 year extension as well and if you are a team that wants to push on he's not good enough to even be a squad player. just my humble opinion.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 10 Mar 2018, 10:57

lurcher wrote:had a quick look on the wakey board. a poster has suggested which current players he would keep. MC asked where did he think the money would come from. I'd still put arona above kirmond for a new contract. just announce hirst as a 1 year extension as well and if you are a team that wants to push on he's not good enough to even be a squad player. just my humble opinion.
To be fair Lurcher he's improving every game IMO, he's a bit of a Wayne MacDonald, very lanky but very difficult to tackle. As for quoting MC, as I said earlier in the thread he's a bit of a poker face, I heard about Tyler Randell coming about a month before we signed him, he swore me blind that it was an urban myth, then he signed. :)

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 10 Mar 2018, 11:00

Spanishtiger wrote:Wakey's next 4 are Wigan A, Widnes H, Warrington A Cas H.
If the cats are still at the top of the pole after these games then fair play to them. Their following 3 are against Hull, Leeds and Saints....
I think if you read our board most people are cautiously optimistic, no over the top Grand final claims just for once a little sense being talked. No one's getting their GF flags out just yet (Bugger, I mentioned flags again :D ).

steadygetyerboots-on
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by steadygetyerboots-on » 10 Mar 2018, 11:52

It has been a good start from Wakefield, but only what they should be achieving with their current squad. Their fans, like ours, have to change their mindset from being a perennial struggler to realistic top 6 club. That's what drives the club forward rather than the "lucky to be here" tag some, particularly the Sky team, seem to prefer. You only have to look at clubs like Warrington to see that there's a "club blindness" with many saying what a good squad they have & how they should be doing better. Their squad is full of overrated players living off an undeserved reputation - off the top of my head I can't think of anyone other than BMM, Currie, Goodwin, Clark & maybe Philbin that would get anywhere near either Cas or wakey' squad let alone the first team.
On the topic of players at wakey I do not know how kirmond keeps getting a game, let alone a contract. He's had one good season being put through gaps by Tim Smith & has been living off it ever since. Ashurst is a far better player, as is Arona. Batchelor is a top prospect & crowther/Annakin are handy back ups. I'd let Kirmond go as he'll be one of the higher earners & use that money to tie up the others.
"Stand by me as I stand by you, be brave and dare to dream".

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 10 Mar 2018, 12:04

steadygetyerboots-on wrote:It has been a good start from Wakefield, but only what they should be achieving with their current squad. Their fans, like ours, have to change their mindset from being a perennial struggler to realistic top 6 club. That's what drives the club forward rather than the "lucky to be here" tag some, particularly the Sky team, seem to prefer. You only have to look at clubs like Warrington to see that there's a "club blindness" with many saying what a good squad they have & how they should be doing better. Their squad is full of overrated players living off an undeserved reputation - off the top of my head I can't think of anyone other than BMM, Currie, Goodwin, Clark & maybe Philbin that would get anywhere near either Cas or wakey' squad let alone the first team.
On the topic of players at wakey I do not know how kirmond keeps getting a game, let alone a contract. He's had one good season being put through gaps by Tim Smith & has been living off it ever since. Ashurst is a far better player, as is Arona. Batchelor is a top prospect & crowther/Annakin are handy back ups. I'd let Kirmond go as he'll be one of the higher earners & use that money to tie up the others.
I'm of the same mind as you regarding Kirmond, a good off the bench player but his contract could be better used tying up Arona, Batch and Crowther and Jowett. My guess is that by the seasons end we'll let Jowett and Kirmond move onwards and tie up Arona and the others on new contracts.
As for Warrington I'd love Chris Hill at Trinity.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 24 Mar 2018, 03:08

JIN JER wrote:
Spanishtiger wrote:Wakey's next 4 are Wigan A, Widnes H, Warrington A Cas H.
I think if you read our board most people are cautiously optimistic, no over the top Grand final claims just for once a little sense being talked. No one's getting their GF flags out just yet (Bugger, I mentioned flags again :D ).
Another prescient post from the ST.

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 24 Mar 2018, 10:02

You're really good at this, can you give me tonight's lottery numbers.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 24 Mar 2018, 10:54

;) Yes mate, there'll be six of them, plus a bonus one in case you make a mistake

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 24 Mar 2018, 13:07

I don't make mistakes much, I'll leave that to Steve Gill (allegedly) ;)

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 25 Mar 2018, 18:57

Tbf you've more chance of winning the lottery than any silverware old mate.

Towns88
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Towns88 » 25 Mar 2018, 19:03

*cringe*

stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stuey » 30 Mar 2018, 13:57

Wakefield losing every week now they are playing good sides. The played 4 won 4 was against the bottom 4 sides in the league. Mid-table at best for them.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 21 May 2018, 09:32

look to be in free-fall now ,think there missing mr kear myself
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner