War of the Roses

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

War of the Roses

Post by callum_walker » 05 Mar 2018, 16:55

I thought I'd write something rather niche today. The War of the Roses, should it be brought back? https://uk.blastingnews.com/sport/2018/ ... 10811.html

InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: War of the Roses

Post by InTheKnow » 05 Mar 2018, 17:11

Yes but only if the season is shortened. Can't be adding more games. For example on a 12 team league.
11 home and 11 away
1 magic weekend
1 mid season International
Challenge cup
Play offs

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 05 Mar 2018, 18:10

1. Jack Walker
2. Jermain McGilvaray
3. Jake Connor
4. Michael Shenton
5. Ryan Hall
6. Danny Brough
7. Luke Gale
8. Scott Taylor
9. Danny Houghton
10. Alex Walmsley
11. Joe Wardle
12. John Bateman
13. Stevie Ward

14. Paul McShane
15. Liam Watts
16. Craig Kopczak
17. Dean Hadley

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 05 Mar 2018, 18:44

The trouble with War of the Roses is that it's very parochial and narrow-minded, and in the context of the sport doesn't align with where we want to go.

In Aus, State of Origin is successful because of the fact that Queensland and NSW are two of the biggest two states and they only have 5/6 in total. Players born in other states but that play for clubs in those areas can be eligible for those two. They're also two of the biggest areas by population size too.

By comparison, in Britain we have 48 counties so it's hard to justify only playing within two of those. There needs to be a consideration of how we can create an affinity for all players to participate and to pick the strongest teams.

Norths (Cumbria, Durham, Tyne and Wear, Lancashire, North Yorks)
Easts (Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, East Anglia, all the way to Northants and central areas)
Wests (Manchester, Cheshire, Wales and the Midlands)
Souths (London, South Coast, France)
ANZACS (Australia, New Zealand, PNG)

I'll have a play around with building teams later on but it's just whether people would build an affinity with these - that's the million dollar question. Would take a huge marketing effort but I think it's doable - and no one misses out too!
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 06 Mar 2018, 15:54

:oops:

The last BBC2 floodlit trophy was played in the 1979- 80 season.
Another painstakingly researched piece.

:D

callum_walker
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by callum_walker » 06 Mar 2018, 16:47

I meant to put 1980s not 1990s, sorry!
Spanishtiger wrote::oops:

The last BBC2 floodlit trophy was played in the 1979- 80 season.
Another painstakingly researched piece.

:D

ellscas1

Post by ellscas1 » 08 Mar 2018, 10:29

As a pre season opener or an end of season post grand final season closure.

I'd welcome the idea, and the yorkshire kit if designed well could be a thing of beauty.

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 08 Mar 2018, 12:40

In reply to Hudds, I ask, can you tell me a player who wasn't or wouldn't be proud ,to wear the White Rose of Yorkshire.
I admit that time moves on ( too fast for my liking) and hankering over old times won't come back, but I am sure the Yorkshire lads would love to put one over them from the dark side. Let's get it on. Thinking of the old times, and War of the Roses, didn't we give as good as we got against the Aussies back then, did it bond the players more ?

Oldcasman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Oldcasman » 08 Mar 2018, 14:22

fast hands wrote:In reply to Hudds, I ask, can you tell me a player who wasn't or wouldn't be proud ,to wear the White Rose of Yorkshire.
I admit that time moves on ( too fast for my liking) and hankering over old times won't come back, but I am sure the Yorkshire lads would love to put one over them from the dark side. Let's get it on. Thinking of the old times, and War of the Roses, didn't we give as good as we got against the Aussies back then, did it bond the players more ?
It's quite obvious that hudds has never seen a roses game and as you say they were proud to get picked for yorks I have watched many and enjoyed them all and personally i for one would welcome them

43s flyer
League One Player
League One Player

Post by 43s flyer » 08 Mar 2018, 14:27

loved the old yorks lancs cumbria games.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 08 Mar 2018, 14:46

Oldcasman wrote:
fast hands wrote:In reply to Hudds, I ask, can you tell me a player who wasn't or wouldn't be proud ,to wear the White Rose of Yorkshire.
It's quite obvious that hudds has never seen a roses game and as you say they were proud to get picked for yorks I have watched many and enjoyed them all and personally i for one would welcome them
I have seen a Roses game thanks. I’m not doubting pride of our own counties.

But we want the sport to be nationally inclusive and not confined to the M62 corridor, which War of the Roses is and does. There would also be no appeal to major sponsors as a concept that’s going to help grow the sport.

Therefore, if we are going to do one of these events it has to be one where all players can participate and one that makes commercial sense.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 08 Mar 2018, 14:47

I can’t see where I said players wouldn’t have pride?

My point was that it’s only attractive to a small portion of a very big country and not nationally or commercially attractive.

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 08 Mar 2018, 15:18

I know Hudds you didn't quote the players' thoughts, but Rugby League has been trying to expand to the rest of the country for years, and failed. Most people realise that . What we in my view is, revive what was best for the sport we love. Let's get back our pride, don't let the few righteous brigade dictate to what we should do. Let the Americans and Canadians enter our beloved game, but mark my words if that happens it is goodbye Castleford, Wakefield, Widnes, Salford even Wigan. Perhaps that is a selfish view but, I believe it will kill the game of Rugby League.

Oldcasman
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Oldcasman » 08 Mar 2018, 19:42

HuddsTigers wrote:
Oldcasman wrote:
I have seen a Roses game thanks. I’m not doubting pride of our own counties.

But we want the sport to be nationally inclusive and not confined to the M62 corridor, which War of the Roses is and does. There would also be no appeal to major sponsors as a concept that’s going to help grow the sport.

Therefore, if we are going to do one of these events it has to be one where all players can participate and one that makes commercial sense.
Unfortunately our game is mainly played around yorks / lancs / Cumbria they have tried for more years than I care to remember to expand the game and failed mainly because rugby union has the monopoly in most of the country and I cannot ever see that changing,they keep trying to take the game to London and wales which has failed miserably and to have teams playing from Canada the USA and others will go down the same road.