can England do it

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
Dez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: can England do it

Post by Dez » 01 Dec 2017, 17:57

Loma can cover roby and also full back to allow widdop to go to loose forward because big Sam will never last 80mins.

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 01 Dec 2017, 19:46

What a damp squib this tournament has been, the organisers are hoping for 40,000 attendance in a 52,000 capacity stadium. This in the so called hotbed of rugby league. Total waste of time Australia by plenty.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 02 Dec 2017, 04:06

The passion from the Tongans was absolutely amazing and the atmosphere they generated made it the best sporting experience of my life and everyone else I spoke to said the same.
This World Cup hasn't been a damp squib and if used correctly the legacy could see the sport really kick on, particularly if the interest in Canada and USA can be nurtured
It really depends on whether there is enough will, brains and resources at an international level to make it happen

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 02 Dec 2017, 11:26

Think we would do better if Shenton or Percival was on left centre

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 02 Dec 2017, 11:54

Tamworth Tiger wrote: This World Cup hasn't been a damp squib and if used correctly the legacy could see the sport really kick on, particularly if the interest in Canada and USA can be nurtured
I’ve been hearing that for the last 20 years or so but when you boil it down it’s still an M62 / East Coast of Australia game

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 02 Dec 2017, 15:53

Oh well, better luck next time.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 02 Dec 2017, 18:03

Forwards outstanding defence outstanding , all ifs and butts ..but if only z.h had been available ...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 02 Dec 2017, 18:29

Or a winger with genuine pace

Dez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dez » 02 Dec 2017, 19:35

Zak was a massive loss to England as he will be for us next year

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 02 Dec 2017, 21:22

I just don’t get international RL, apparently we don’t play the Aussies again for another 3 years. How does this build momentum and interest in the game?

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 03 Dec 2017, 01:36

2018 Kiwi tour to U.K.
2019 Lions Tour to Aus

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 03 Dec 2017, 02:00

alftupper wrote:
Tamworth Tiger wrote: This World Cup hasn't been a damp squib and if used correctly the legacy could see the sport really kick on, particularly if the interest in Canada and USA can be nurtured
I’ve been hearing that for the last 20 years or so but when you boil it down it’s still an M62 / East Coast of Australia game
Bit of selective quoting there, but the point my whole post was making was that the increased interest from the Pacific Islands and the current investment in Canada and potentially USA if nurtured properly could transform our international game .
Last night's match gave me more confident too. Whilst I agree we've heard it before (in my case over 50+ years rather than 20)
I do believe that better use of resources and commitment from the management of the senior nations could see a big improvement in the international game.

smarty_tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by smarty_tiger » 03 Dec 2017, 02:17

I thought widdop had a solid game today. We were out-muscled by Aus. They bullied up the field a lot easier than we did, Excellent game though.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 03 Dec 2017, 06:21

alftupper wrote:
Bit of selective quoting there, but the point my whole post was making was that the increased interest from the Pacific Islands and the current investment in Canada and potentially USA if nurtured properly could transform our international game .
Last night's match gave me more confident too. Whilst I agree we've heard it before (in my case over 50+ years rather than 20)
I do believe that better use of resources and commitment from the management of the senior nations could see a big improvement in the international game.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 03 Dec 2017, 07:55

I think we can class this match as one we should have won, If silly ZAK had been able to play allowing Windop to play in the halves, If we had played Percival in the centre instead of Bateman , George Williams warranted a bench spot to interchange with Roby, Watkins having his ankle tapped with an open field in front of him, If Mcgrilvley had looked inside instead of kicking, after that assessment it was still the best effort we have produced for many a season the relief the Australians showed when the final whistle blew was plane to see

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 03 Dec 2017, 09:02

Is bennett going to stay on as coach i wonder ? I have mixed feelings with him no doubt in my mind hes one of the best coaches theres been hes sorted out the defence and if he had more attacking weapons we would have won yesterday , but he made some crazy desicions in his selection of the squad that in the end may have cost us
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 03 Dec 2017, 09:14

Tamworth Tiger wrote:2018 Kiwi tour to U.K.
2019 Lions Tour to Aus
I was taking my information from the BBC they got that wrong, but 2019 is far too long to wait, the home nations RU have annual autumn internationals against the best in the world why can’t we?

Also I say again this tournament was a failure, only 40,033 for a RL World Cup Final in the Mecca of RL?

and a like for like comparison of the 2017 and 2013 World Cups show that overall attendance was down by 85,000. You may have had a nice time over there but the hard facts are it’s gone backwards a long way in only 4 years

WF10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by WF10 » 03 Dec 2017, 11:07

For me, Englands big chance was at the end of the first half. Penalty 20 yards out, early in the tackle count they came left -
Gale to Widdop/Bateman who then knocked on.

As I was watching it I said 'if Widdop was half yard further forward to take the pass, shovel it to Bateman and create an overlap for Hall.'

Hardaker would have done from playing with Luke all season.

Fine margins.
removed post it again and you will join them on a 48 hour ban read the AUP

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 03 Dec 2017, 11:33

We’ve basically lost a 2 match series against the Aussies 2-0
Lots of talk of gaps closing and fine margins but in my opinion we are no closer

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 03 Dec 2017, 11:43

I haven't looked on other forums but suspect Gale is getting stick. Is it the system Bennett imposes on the side but it stifles Gale's play and i hardly saw Brown in attacking moves.

Then as soon as Bateman got the ball any momentum was killed stone dead. I agree with previous posters we missed Hardacker when we got close to the Aussie line. What must he have been thinking watching yesterday.