Global Super League

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL
stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Global Super League

Post by stuey » 21 Feb 2017, 17:45

According to John Kear from todays BBC Sport, we need to expand to include Aussie sides.

Thats right, lets have a SL of Toronto, Toulouse, Catalan, London, 4 Aussie sides, Wigan, Warrington, Saints & Leeds.

SOD the rest of em!!

Let all the other clubs play in the Championship. What a stupid idea!! No "away" support apart from the local derbies, very little income from gate reciepts.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Global Super League

Post by HuddsTigers » 21 Feb 2017, 18:32

Do you need gate receipts when you can bring in money from sponsors and TV revenue? There's a common theory that clubs shouldn't need to rely on gate receipts but they should be actively looking to grow their own fanbase.

I think it's a wild assumption that this is going to happen but I do think we're heading towards a similar setup to the NRL back to a franchised division.

The teams in the lower end of the Championship and League 1, although ambitious, cannot compete on crowds of 400-1.5k. And sadly, teams like Oldham, Swinton aren't appealing to a mass market audience. I can see them operating as feeder clubs to the Super League teams (indeed dual registration could be seen as the first step).

Toronto will be the test case and if that goes well, I reckon we'll see a second Canadian or American team enter League 1. If they bring in the money and they can help grow the game, which will ultimately benefit teams like ours, then that's a good thing.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Stoke Bloke
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Erm......Stoke surprisingly. Thats the rough bit between Manchester and Birmingham.

Post by Stoke Bloke » 22 Feb 2017, 00:31

Dont want to say told you so but I was predicting this or a European Superleague on this site at least 5 years ago. It wont matter about your clubs history or even fan base it will be down to what the tv moneymen perceive as the "BIG CLUBS".

Hope it never happens but Its a prospect.

Stokie
BE LOYAL BE LOUD BE CAS.

John 3:16

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 22 Feb 2017, 08:48

Why would John Kear propose that, when he's rugby director at a club that would drop out of the 'super league'.

Long live the Tigers!!!

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 22 Feb 2017, 09:57

What we need is a champions league similar to what football have to run all season
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 22 Feb 2017, 17:43

da_jimbob_7 wrote:Why would John Kear propose that, when he's rugby director at a club that would drop out of the 'super league'.
Exactly, he's an idiot who loves to be in the spotlight. god knows what the wakey fans think of him after this.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 25 Feb 2017, 19:48

Stoke Bloke wrote:Dont want to say told you so but I was predicting this or a European Superleague on this site at least 5 years ago. It wont matter about your clubs history or even fan base it will be down to what the tv moneymen perceive as the "BIG CLUBS".

Hope it never happens but Its a prospect.

Stokie
This was Mo Lindsays vision 30 years ago and we all know what happened to Paris!
Danny Boy