Tony Smith Appointed England Under 17's Coach

Super League, National Leagues and the NRL

Normy Knight
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Normy Knight » 07 Sep 2006, 21:47

There must be a golf course nearby. :-D
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.
http://www.normantonknights.co.uk

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 07 Sep 2006, 21:48

Not having a pop at Casper at all, but he's been found to be lacking in a coaching capacity so is this a good idea?
Adrian Flynn's career low was playing for Featherstone - "Horrible Supporters"

Slash
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Slash » 07 Sep 2006, 23:40

Steadman_4_PM wrote:Not having a pop at Casper at all, but he's been found to be lacking in a coaching capacity so is this a good idea?
People have got to remember he is still a young coach and is still learning, maybe a head coach job in the top flight was too big a step, but with time I'm sure he can be a good coach.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 07 Sep 2006, 23:50

Slash wrote:
Steadman_4_PM wrote:Not having a pop at Casper at all, but he's been found to be lacking in a coaching capacity so is this a good idea?
People have got to remember he is still a young coach and is still learning, maybe a head coach job in the top flight was too big a step, but with time I'm sure he can be a good coach.
To be honest, after I wrote that I thought maybe he'd make a good coach in some capacity at Cas!

I agree that a top job maybe came too early. Far too many players IMO go straight into a head coach role, maybe I'm wrong here but I can't remember the last one who did it and made a success of the job.

RL ought to learn from football and make ex players take coaching qualifications before they can get a job doing such.

Slash
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Slash » 07 Sep 2006, 23:53

Steadman_4_PM wrote:
Slash wrote:
To be honest, after I wrote that I thought maybe he'd make a good coach in some capacity at Cas!

I agree that a top job maybe came too early. Far too many players IMO go straight into a head coach role, maybe I'm wrong here but I can't remember the last one who did it and made a success of the job.

RL ought to learn from football and make ex players take coaching qualifications before they can get a job doing such.
Tony did get qualifications, he got fast-tracked through the process. I'm sure he would love to help out at Cas, with a bit more experience.

Steadman_4_PM
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Steadman_4_PM » 07 Sep 2006, 23:58

Didn't mean Casper wasn't qualified, thinking more of the whole process where ex players become coaches very quickly.

Steadman was assistant to Raper and then all very quickly became head coach. They all do well while the going is good but lack ideas and imagination when it goes the other way. This I guess shows they lack experience, but they would wouldn't they!

What ever happened to Tommy Martyn after helping coach Leigh. I know he got qualified as a landlord to give him a career, any ideas????