Post by Tamworth Tiger » 26 Sep 2016, 15:16

And Channing

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: MPG Sides

Post by HuddsTigers » 26 Sep 2016, 18:48

I'd love to get Junior Sa'u from Salford.

Him on the left edge with Holmes/Moors and Solomona and Gale would be lethal. Then Chase, Shenton, McMeeken and Monaghan on the other side would be immense back line.

Kopczak and Evalds would be good additions too.

KR I'm struggling to think who would strengthen our squad aside from depth. I'd probably have Lunt but with Milner and Macca I think we're sorted. Larroyer and Clarkson may be worth a deal to add depth but really that's it.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 26 Sep 2016, 19:36

I like Evalds at Salford - definate to stay in SL.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 26 Sep 2016, 19:44

Are the contracts the relegated teams players are on worthless then
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 26 Sep 2016, 20:32

Depends if they are RL contracts or superleague contracts.

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 26 Sep 2016, 21:54

If KR go down I'd send will Maher there to have a full season in the championship working under Jamie Peacock. Look at what a season in the championship did for Shenton, Huby westerman.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 27 Sep 2016, 08:06

TT Tiger wrote:If KR go down I'd send will Maher there to have a full season in the championship working under Jamie Peacock. Look at what a season in the championship did for Shenton, Huby westerman.
Agree maher needs to go somewhere were he can play big minutes hes not guna get much better doin 1 short 10-15min spell every now n then.

Massey also benefited from his spell at york when he was young.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Casfanharvey

Post by Casfanharvey » 27 Sep 2016, 13:20

HuddsTigers wrote:I'd love to get Junior Sa'u from Salford.

Him on the left edge with Holmes/Moors and Solomona and Gale would be lethal. Then Chase, Shenton, McMeeken and Monaghan on the other side would be immense back line.

Kopczak and Evalds would be good additions too.

KR I'm struggling to think who would strengthen our squad aside from depth. I'd probably have Lunt but with Milner and Macca I think we're sorted. Larroyer and Clarkson may be worth a deal to add depth but really that's it.
James green from kr still quite young for a prop and a decent unit and id look at George griffin from salford i think our back line is strong enough im just a little worried with our forwards i think we look light in numbers id also llok at evalds or obrien as well

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 27 Sep 2016, 20:45

MPG is "a disgrace" according to Ben Cockayne of Hull KR. Sky to blame ?

Interview here :-
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/ ... per-league?

Le Van
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Le Van » 27 Sep 2016, 21:44

How about just winning more games pal

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 27 Sep 2016, 23:11

The reality is that it's like football. Most of the relegated players if they are any good don't get regarded, they just move onto another top flight club, just like lots of our players, particularly the forwards did both times we were relegated.
I don't see job security as a reason for getting rid of relegation

SFOtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SFOtiger » 27 Sep 2016, 23:13

To be honest I think he makes a good point. Unfortunately thats the way it is though. I don't think anyone envisaged the million pound game would be between two superleague sides but here it is.

When Cas got relegated it was no easier I bet, especially when I think other clubs cheated on the salary cap one of those years?

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 28 Sep 2016, 11:06

The MPG in our sport to an extent I do agree is more brutal than being relegated from the Prem in football.

Everyone signs up for the MPG as a club either in the knowledge from the lower division they'd love a shot, or from Superleague being confident it wont be them.

To be honest, it is part of sport and in reality the structure now should protect any club from a one or two game hiatus, or from being unlucky. To end up in the MPG you have a bad season, then play badly in the middle 8's, it isn't unlucky.

I have to say, in the interests of balance when we were relegated first time how much I moaned on about how little the clubs coming in to SL added compared to us, heritage, players lives etc - I think it is one of those things that matter more when it happens to you. Particularly Ben Cockayne at 33, could he attract another SL contract?! (I am not having a pop, it is a statement.)

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 28 Sep 2016, 11:38

On reflection the football comparison is right. The real difference is the lack of protection super league contracts give to players as they are voided by relegation. On the other hand it makes the good ones free agents too so clubs can't sell them
I don't get the bit about no one expected two SL teams in the mpg though. Only one gets relegated so don't see what difference it makes. I agree it is no difference from our relegation except that in this case there is a chance that the club who cheated will get relegated!

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 28 Sep 2016, 17:27

Comparing Super League to premier league football is ridiculous. Maybe to league 1 or 2 would be better and they cope with relegation/promotion.
SL only contracts are a tough one, as they safe guard both clubs and players. Clubs aren't hampered by big contracts in a lower league, where attendance's, prize money and sponsorships are lower and it allows good players to move back into the top division to ply their trade without being held by a relegated side for a fee to be paid... but on the other side it means clubs become player less essentially and need to re-sign and recruit a full new team and players who've been poor, unproven or aging struggling to find a contract.

With Promtion and Relegation, a level salary cap across the divisions, more should be done to support the relegated clubs and players to remain solvent and earning a wage. SL only contracts may soon become a thing of the past after this MPG game!!!

Long live the Tigers!!!

lidds
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by lidds » 28 Sep 2016, 21:27

So would it be possible for some players to be on a 'Club / rugby league' contract,(Still valid if relegated) and some to be on a super league contract (So null and void if they go down)?

Matt
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @invmatt

Post by Matt » 28 Sep 2016, 21:50

End of the day every player knows what happens if you finish in the bottom 4, the system is also pretty forgiving considering even if you finish bottom you still have another 7 games to keep yourself out of the MPG. If you've been unable to do that even when you've gone up against supposably lower opposition then you've only got yourself and the other guys on the field to blame.
For website related issues or queries please contact the admin account as I no longer own or maintain Casforum.

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 29 Sep 2016, 13:05

I agree with Ben, it is a strange concept and think it could and should be simplified, with the top 4 in the middle 8s gaining a place in Superleague, whoever they are, with the bottom 4 going into the championship.
It could still result in a Superleague club being relegated (as it would this season) but it would be a fairer outcome and a team finishing 4th which could be quite a margin ahead of the 5th placed club, wouldnt be as much at the mercy of injuries or a poor call by a referee, as could be the case in a one off game.
Danny Boy

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 29 Sep 2016, 13:51

Matt wrote:End of the day every player knows what happens if you finish in the bottom 4, the system is also pretty forgiving considering even if you finish bottom you still have another 7 games to keep yourself out of the MPG. If you've been unable to do that even when you've gone up against supposably lower opposition then you've only got yourself and the other guys on the field to blame.
Absolutely spot on; it's akin to saying it's everybody else's fault we are sh...rubbish.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 30 Sep 2016, 09:29

Flat Capper wrote:
Matt wrote:End of the day every player knows what happens if you finish in the bottom 4, the system is also pretty forgiving considering even if you finish bottom you still have another 7 games to keep yourself out of the MPG. If you've been unable to do that even when you've gone up against supposably lower opposition then you've only got yourself and the other guys on the field to blame.
Absolutely spot on; it's akin to saying it's everybody else's fault we are sh...rubbish.
The 2 rubbish teams in the MPG took 7 points from us this season - that is even more baffling.