Konrad Hurrell

Players in ... Players out. Got a rumour? Post it in here.
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Konrad Hurrell

Post by tigerfeat » 19 Oct 2018, 09:01

Quality not quantity we should be looking at now to move our sens forward that will mean relying on our young players more which also will move the club forward in my humble
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 19 Oct 2018, 09:54

fords wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:
Tigerman2014 wrote:True but Saints / Wolves and Catalan have kept a lot of there talent bar 1 or 2 who won’t have been massive earners and added better to there squad we’re spending far too much on squad players for sure
As I posted on another thread:

Warrington have lost Roberts and released 7 others.
Saints have lost Wilkin, Barba, Smith and rumoured to be offering out Amor.

These things are cyclical. All the players that got us to the Grand Final are now wanted men as well as themselves knowing their value has increased. Cas have retained the bulk of their squad. It is only ever a case of refinements. We have some big earners coming off contract at the end of 2019 which should allow us space to recruit again.

You say we are spending more on squad players. Well I think we have one of the best top 25 man squads in Super League. Most teams you reference have 17/18 and then they are into kids.
And that 25 has failed to deliver in the last 2 seasons in the "big" games and we now find ourselves in a position we cant sign anybody to improve that situation as we have spent up.
The same 25 that has been in the top 4 two seasons running you mean?

I don’t know about your expectations but they have surpassed or met expectations in both seasons. Mine was to finish in the top 4 last season, knowing full well that it was going to be totally different to the year before. We achieved that.

We don’t have the same resources as Wigan, Saints, Warrington, Leeds and Hull who all get 10,000+ home fans every week and are bigger clubs financially. In all probability in terms of finances and revenue we are probably the 6th biggest club. Therefore to be within 80 minutes of a Grand Final or even make one is a huge achievement.

We are now able to spend the salary cap but that means refinement season on season as players come off contract, retire and come up for renewal. It also means that younger ones demand higher wages due to success and as they are coming into the peak of their careers.

Every team carries squad players - they are there for a reason. Experience, reliability and good value on the cap. People like Clare (who people now seem to have a thing against) haven’t let us down, or have we conveniently forgot the try saving tackle he made in the last home game?
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Easy Tiger 2
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Easy Tiger 2 » 19 Oct 2018, 10:36

HuddsTigers wrote:
fords wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:
Tigerman2014 wrote:True but Saints / Wolves and Catalan have kept a lot of there talent bar 1 or 2 who won’t have been massive earners and added better to there squad we’re spending far too much on squad players for sure

These things are cyclical. All the players that got us to the Grand Final are now wanted men as well as themselves knowing their value has increased. Cas have retained the bulk of their squad. It is only ever a case of refinements. We have some big earners coming off contract at the end of 2019 which should allow us space to recruit again.

You say we are spending more on squad players. Well I think we have one of the best top 25 man squads in Super League. Most teams you reference have 17/18 and then they are into kids.
And that 25 has failed to deliver in the last 2 seasons in the "big" games and we now find ourselves in a position we cant sign anybody to improve that situation as we have spent up.

I don’t know about your expectations but they have surpassed or met expectations in both seasons. Mine was to finish in the top 4 last season, knowing full well that it was going to be totally different to the year before. We achieved that.

No one is arguing that they have by and large got us to the top 4 twice and I agree that it is a great achievement.

What people are saying is we obviously need more if we are going to kick on to the next level and win a grand final and/or challenge cup as outlined in the 3 year plan.

I don’t think our squad needs an overhaul,just fine tweaking that’s all people are saying Hudds, we are allowed to disagree with you you know?!

We don’t have the same resources as Wigan, Saints, Warrington, Leeds and Hull who all get 10,000+ home fans every week and are bigger clubs financially. In all probability in terms of finances and revenue we are probably the 6th biggest club. Therefore to be within 80 minutes of a Grand Final or even make one is a huge achievement.

We are now able to spend the salary cap but that means refinement season on season as players come off contract, retire and come up for renewal. It also means that younger ones demand higher wages due to success and as they are coming into the peak of their careers.

Every team carries squad players - they are there for a reason. Experience, reliability and good value on the cap. People like Clare (who people now seem to have a thing against) haven’t let us down, or have we conveniently forgot the try saving tackle he made in the last home game?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 19 Oct 2018, 11:07

im sick of hearing were not as big as other clubs i suppose if you say it often enough it gets into the players heads we were clear 8pt favourites to win last years grand final and never performed as we should the coach as admitted there is a mental weakness in big games
we have to stop patting ourselves on the back and look to keep moving forward no reason we cant dominate the game over the next few seasons if we can get rid of the small team mentality
Vince Lombardi

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 19 Oct 2018, 11:31

On the face of it, it looks like a real good signing and they look to have two good centres if Watkins comes back firing. They still only have briscoes on the wings and a poor pack.

Apparently Hurrell is a marquee player and another one to come. Still a lot of questions about the coach and major squad changes.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 19 Oct 2018, 11:56

HuddsTigers wrote:
fords wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:

"We don’t have the same resources as Wigan, Saints, Warrington, Leeds and Hull who all get 10,000+ home fans every week and are bigger clubs financially. In all probability in terms of finances and revenue we are probably the 6th biggest club."

Whats that got to do with anything ? We have the ability to spend up to the salary cap so we are in the same boat as the teams you mentioned. So you cant say we don't have the resources like the bigger clubs as that's nonsense

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 19 Oct 2018, 12:47

HuddsTigers wrote:
fords wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:

You say I pick on things you write, and then go do a similar thing re JC.

Just ‘Not Letting us down’ isn’t my idea of the type of wing man I, and we as a club, should expect. Mike Wainwright never let us down did he, but if you’d be satisfied with either starting on our right wing come the start of the new season I question your RL nous.

Lineham on the other hand; for example, would be a good call. Of course he has weakness too like all players, but in my opinion I’d fancy us a lot more for a finals appearance with him there rather than a non letter downerer.

As mentioned earlier by another poster, we spend up to the cap and we’re in a position, clearly, where we could utilise the marquee rule too. We make profit. Us being a so called ‘smaller club’ is only a problem if you let it, or want it to be an excuse.
Audacter Et Sincere

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 19 Oct 2018, 12:50

Mysterio wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:
fords wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:

Just ‘Not Letting us down’ isn’t my idea of the type of wing man I, and we as a club, should expect. Mike Wainwright never let us down did he, but if you’d be satisfied with either starting on our right wing come the start of the new season I question your RL nous.

Lineham on the other hand; for example, would be a good call. Of course he has weakness too like all players, but in my opinion I’d fancy us a lot more for a finals appearance with him there rather than a non letter downerer.

As mentioned earlier by another poster, we spend up to the cap and we’re in a position, clearly, where we could utilise the marquee rule too. We make profit. Us being a so called ‘smaller club’ is only a problem if you let it, or want it to be an excuse.
:clap: :clap:

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 19 Oct 2018, 14:48

fords wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:
fords wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:

"We don’t have the same resources as Wigan, Saints, Warrington, Leeds and Hull who all get 10,000+ home fans every week and are bigger clubs financially. In all probability in terms of finances and revenue we are probably the 6th biggest club."

Whats that got to do with anything ? We have the ability to spend up to the salary cap so we are in the same boat as the teams you mentioned. So you cant say we don't have the resources like the bigger clubs as that's nonsense
All those clubs have the capacity to spend the marquee allowance, and can pay off players at will if they want to release them. We don’t. We may be able to spend the basic cap and some of the exemptions but it very much isn’t a level playing field. It’s only appeared so in recent years due to the Solomona cash.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 19 Oct 2018, 14:55

Mysterio wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:
fords wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:

Where did I mention you? There seems to be a collective few on here who angst against JC and rate Hitchcox better despite neither letting us down. In fact, the latter failed to deal with two kicks in the Grand Final last year. I also believe Clare has spent more time on our right wing which is our weaker side, so much harder to impress. For me, both wouldn’t be starting wingers.

We don’t spend the marquee allowance and there’s a simple reason for that - we need £125k spare on the cap for an overseas player (and we have to pay them more for it to be justifiable) or £75k for a domestic player. Either way unless we spend big on someone it isn’t going to save us that much to spend elsewhere. There’s also the possibility that the club don’t want to use the exemptions to sow discord in the club. And moreover, we still have outstanding debts that need to be repaid. We have to be mindful of how that looks to creditors. There’s also whether we would get value utilising it - if we did sign someone using it and they got injured, what’s the benefit. I don’t see the point in using it unless there’s a value than throwing money down the drain for the sake of it.

If for example, we could use it on Shenton this season now and save £30-40k of cap space plus Gadwin’s plus whatever was spare, we could either use it for one genuine good player. But that wouldn’t be a marquee recruit, it would be utilising for extra value.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 20 Oct 2018, 04:13

With you all the way Hudds, some people on here seem to think that the club are cash rich because they made a good profit last season. Which would include the incoming from Solomona and the sale of 2 junior players for 75k total. But fails to take into account that the club owe the Fulton family 2m quid. Let's see what the profits are like this year with crowds 1000 down, no LLS prize money and no incoming transfer fees.

Any spare money should be put aside to be able to pay the deposit on the finance that we're going to need to upgrade WR if the new ground doesn't come through.

If it does come through, and we're in the joyous position of owning 2 RL stadia, then we can go splashing the cash on marquee signings.

Anyone who thinks I'm talking crepe, nip up Ponte and ask a Mr Paul Newlove how mucj he got paid to play 8 games for us. And if it happened to coincide with our club being relegated for the first time in our history.

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 20 Oct 2018, 08:18

doesnt matter who we play on the right wing, we never attack that way. until we attack both sides more often instead of just going left the better sides will be able to nulify us

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 Oct 2018, 08:40

We attacked down both sides at Wigan

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 20 Oct 2018, 08:52

Spanishtiger wrote:With you all the way Hudds, some people on here seem to think that the club are cash rich because they made a good profit last season. Which would include the incoming from Solomona and the sale of 2 junior players for 75k total. But fails to take into account that the club owe the Fulton family 2m quid. Let's see what the profits are like this year with crowds 1000 down, no LLS prize money and no incoming transfer fees.

Any spare money should be put aside to be able to pay the deposit on the finance that we're going to need to upgrade WR if the new ground doesn't come through.

If it does come through, and we're in the joyous position of owning 2 RL stadia, then we can go splashing the cash on marquee signings.

Anyone who thinks I'm talking crepe, nip up Ponte and ask a Mr Paul Newlove how mucj he got paid to play 8 games for us. And if it happened to coincide with our club being relegated for the first time in our history.

The 2million plus is loaned to the club against the ground so when they sell it off the fultons will get there money back then.

dude
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dude » 20 Oct 2018, 08:54

Tamworth Tiger wrote:We attacked down both sides at Wigan
evenly? when we was attacking there line, we went left and then back to middle then back to left on majority of times. shows how uneven out attack is with eden being top try scorer and missing most of games

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 20 Oct 2018, 09:18

Spanishtiger wrote:With you all the way Hudds, some people on here seem to think that the club are cash rich because they made a good profit last season. Which would include the incoming from Solomona and the sale of 2 junior players for 75k total. But fails to take into account that the club owe the Fulton family 2m quid. Let's see what the profits are like this year with crowds 1000 down, no LLS prize money and no incoming transfer fees.

To be fair I think we've got better people making the calls on players than we did when we signed newlove Greenhill and the other waste of space forward we signed from hull that year who's name escapes me
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 20 Oct 2018, 09:56

fords wrote:

The 2million plus is loaned to the club against the ground so when they sell it off the fultons will get there money back then.
We aren’t selling it off - we want to turn it into a state of the art training facility.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 20 Oct 2018, 09:56

tigerfeat wrote:

To be fair I think we've got better people making the calls on players than we did when we signed newlove Greenhill and the other waste of space forward we signed from hull that year who's name escapes me
Sean Ryan.

SREGITSAC
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SREGITSAC » 20 Oct 2018, 22:50

HuddsTigers wrote:
fords wrote:

We aren’t selling it off - we want to turn it into a state of the art training facility.
Exactly this, funny how people like to shoot down everything you say with false information! For what it’s worth whilst I agree we need to pack on the smaller club view we don’t have the resources to spend £300k+ minimum on marquee players which will set us apart from the “bigger” clubs.... this is where we remain slightly out of step, not necessarily going to hold us back though as marquee players don’t guarantee success.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 21 Oct 2018, 17:17

HuddsTigers wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:

Sean Ryan.
Craig Grenhill I assume he means