All Solomona talk here.

Players in ... Players out. Got a rumour? Post it in here.
mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Re: All Solomona talk here.

Post by mart0042 » 09 May 2017, 10:11

I'd expect sale to want the case moving south from Leeds. They will anticipate that being in the north that the case may end up in front of a league favouring judge.

Cas have a fantastic reputation for helping players and staff with depression and mental health issues. Now they've heard his defence they can plan accordingly. Statements from tickle, Chase and Steve gill covers that. Plus the "state of mind " stuff the club and league does helps greatly. His agent should have highlighted his issues to the club should they be real. But he didn't, he just found him another job, certainly that doesn't help with depression.

It's just a bag of lies hoping to excuse him from liability for breaking his contract. His agent and new club can't argue the same point. If they thought or knew, they are guilty of inducing him from his contract.

Can the man get much lower? No. I'm still shocked that the RU are backing him. They should hang their heads in shame.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 09 May 2017, 11:12

The depression argument is an interesting one.
Moving from a familiar environment where you are well regarded and cared for into a new unfamiliar one with all the attendant uncertainties that go with it do not seem a conducive treatment for a mental illness.
Conversely such an argument would render Sale and Clarke guilty of exploiting a vulnerable person not a good reputation for either party .
I have always wanted it to go through due process to protect our code from future poaching ,however l can see the aforementioned parties realising they will not only loose but the legal costs will probably be greater than the compensation as well as the adverse publicity will result in an out of court settlement and even the top table kick and clap old farts will not want such publicity whilst preparing for Internationals.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 09 May 2017, 11:43

I'm astonished they let it go this far. A rich team and sport could afford this, like with Burgess. I'm confident the rfl wouldn't have accepted his registering without knowledge that a player was not in dispute.

WallTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by WallTiger » 09 May 2017, 12:33

IF the whole depression thing is being fabricated as some sort of defence for his actions then how will people in general who have or are suffering from this illness perceive Solomona!? I'm sure there will be cases of players in RU itself that are/have suffered from depression that won't take too kind to it being belittled in this way! I've always thought this will get settled out of court and I'm still of that opinion although I did think it would have been done by now! If I was a betting man I'll say a last minute agreement will be reached just before it's due in court.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 09 May 2017, 12:45

If D.S has a good tour with the kick & clap mob in Argentina a November hearing wouldn't help a possible selection for their autumn internationals would it?.

I know some are worried that this delay would effect us securing Hardacker. But given our increased attendances, the savings of Lynch leaving and possibly Monaghan going we could cover any shortfall?

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 09 May 2017, 13:34

I haven't read the details already published but I am acutely aware that depression is difficult to quantify. Whilst I believe Cas Tigers take a sympathetic approach on the subject the current drive to get people (men in particular) to talk about their issues highlights the problems. People are often very reluctant to raise the subject and as such Cas may have had no incline of any issues affecting DS.

I'm sure the legal team for Sale and DS will be able to demonstrate their side of the story in full so for me, the matter is far from certain.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 09 May 2017, 17:26

Flat Capper wrote:I haven't read the details already published but I am acutely aware that depression is difficult to quantify. Whilst I believe Cas Tigers take a sympathetic approach on the subject the current drive to get people (men in particular) to talk about their issues highlights the problems. People are often very reluctant to raise the subject and as such Cas may have had no incline of any issues affecting DS.

I'm sure the legal team for Sale and DS will be able to demonstrate their side of the story in full so for me, the matter is far from certain.
While that maybe the case i still find it hard to believe from him. Scored over 40 tries last year, trotted over to Vegas to get engaged, flew over to the other side of the world to play for Samoa and had a nice holiday down there on the end of that.

Unfortunately i know people who couldn't do basic everyday stuff because of the condition he claimed to have suffered. Get ready for sportsmen/women doing the very same to get out of contracts if he wins :shock:

Beth
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Beth » 09 May 2017, 18:34

duke street 10 wrote:
Flat Capper wrote:I haven't read the details already published but I am acutely aware that depression is difficult to quantify. Whilst I believe Cas Tigers take a sympathetic approach on the subject the current drive to get people (men in particular) to talk about their issues highlights the problems. People are often very reluctant to raise the subject and as such Cas may have had no incline of any issues affecting DS.

While that maybe the case i still find it hard to believe from him. Scored over 40 tries last year, trotted over to Vegas to get engaged, flew over to the other side of the world to play for Samoa and had a nice holiday down there on the end of that.

Unfortunately i know people who couldn't do basic everyday stuff because of the condition he claimed to have suffered. Get ready for sportsmen/women doing the very same to get out of contracts if he wins :shock:
Now I'm as dubious of Solomona's claims as the next guy, but depression doesn't always make you incapable of doing things and that's kind of a reductive way of approaching it. People with depression can play sports, go on holiday, etc...

zart
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by zart » 09 May 2017, 18:49

We could check him out on Just tattoo of us on MTV on Monday night at 22:00! Bet RFL are happy about his comments after all the publicly and good work State of mind does in helping past and present players.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 09 May 2017, 18:56

zart wrote:We could check him out on Just tattoo of us on MTV on Monday night at 22:00! Bet RFL are happy about his comments after all the publicly and good work State of mind does in helping past and present players.
Yeah he looks really depressed on that.

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 09 May 2017, 22:56

IF he is depressed he'd have probably been on some form of prescription for medication which would have been checked out for any sports enhancing attributes given how tight anti doping is.
Depression would have effected his performance and I find it hard to believe he's managed to mask it over an entire year and broken three try scoring records in the process...

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 10 May 2017, 08:04

This whole depression revelation has got to me. And also other people's views on it too.
Personally and in the work I do MH issues are pretty specific to each individual. You can't say what someone with depression can and can't do as no one person is the same. He may have been able to cope with his 'job' and perform at such a high standard as it brought him structure, predictability, in a close knit group and also the highs of scoring and adulation of fans. It may have been life outside of his 'job' that he struggled with. None of us will ever really know. In a way I do and don't wish he has it. I do as at least he would be speaking honestly but don't as wouldn't want anyone to suffer/battle depression.
If proven he has just used this as a ploy, no medical records etc it ruins all the work that state of mind, andy's man club are doing in getting people to seek help as others who need that help and guidance may feel they won't be believed and people will question if they truly are battling depression.

For now, until proven otherwise, I hope Denny is winning his battle with MH issues and can get himself into a place where he is stable and healthy.

Long live the Tigers!!!

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 May 2017, 08:24

I don't believe for one second that anyone on here would be unsympathetic if DS did indeed suffer from mental health problems. And I'm sure no one is saying here whether he did or did not have MH problems. We don't know BUT it will come out in the courts later this year.

For me, it is part where he claims Cas did nothing to support him/treated him badly. I find that incredible to believe. For one, Gilly has suffered from mental health issues and would fully understand how difficult it is to get by day-to-day never mind do your job. If DS had spoken of depression I feel certain that the club would have stood him down and/or helped him seek professional help.

Guess time will tell.

I would also add to admins, not being a lawyer but is this case now not subjudice? Just a point that we don't want to say anything that could prejudice the case. May be worth locking this now and just posting locked updates.
Last edited by HuddsTigers on 10 May 2017, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 10 May 2017, 08:38

da_jimbob_7 wrote:This whole depression revelation has got to me. And also other people's views on it too.
Personally and in the work I do MH issues are pretty specific to each individual. You can't say what someone with depression can and can't do as no one person is the same. He may have been able to cope with his 'job' and perform at such a high standard as it brought him structure, predictability, in a close knit group and also the highs of scoring and adulation of fans. It may have been life outside of his 'job' that he struggled with. None of us will ever really know. In a way I do and don't wish he has it. I do as at least he would be speaking honestly but don't as wouldn't want anyone to suffer/battle depression.
If proven he has just used this as a ploy, no medical records etc it ruins all the work that state of mind, andy's man club are doing in getting people to seek help as others who need that help and guidance may feel they won't be believed and people will question if they truly are battling depression.

For now, until proven otherwise, I hope Denny is winning his battle with MH issues and can get himself into a place where he is stable and healthy.
It has been quoted in a national newspaper, that 35 million people are battling depression in this country. That is half of the population, questions need to be asked and answered to why . Think that is why the people suffering depression are not believed at times ,because there are individuals out there using it as an easy way to beat the system.
Just to add although I have no political preferences at this time, the Green Party have just stated they will spend the same amount on mental health issues as they will on other illnesses. That must mean the newspaper report is true.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 10 May 2017, 09:48

If he had -has mh issues hope hes getting all the help he needs if hes made it up because he dosnt have another leg to stand on hes sunk to new depths
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 10 May 2017, 10:19

All will come out in the wash when the judge asks to see medical records.
Only then will we find the truth out.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 10 May 2017, 12:03

old cas lass wrote:All will come out in the wash when the judge asks to see medical records.
Only then will we find the truth out.
He would have to show that he had it and did do nothing about it it told his employers.
It isn't a reason to break your contract and move somewhere else.

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 10 May 2017, 20:56

In all serious I'm sure if his depression was that bad that he could have got a note from a doctor spoken to the club and would have been granted time away from the club to recover and get help he needed from people.

mdean
Academy Player
Academy Player
Twitter: Sacked social media

Post by mdean » 11 May 2017, 08:06

It is a tricky area to give an opinion on, mental health.

A lot of people say they're ill for instance when they have a cold, depressed when they're having a down day or have insomnia if they can't get to sleep. The range of ill, depressed and insomnia are extreme.

If I had to guess in this instance, I would suggest that the person in question will have felt depressed, like they need a change of environment etc without the formal intervention of a medical expert. It is not for me to say if that preceded the offer, or they decided they needed a change to lift their depression after the salary and deal were known.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 11 May 2017, 12:27

But using it as a reason to break a contract smacks of a lack of a decent defence.

Trying to quantify the unknown is not a reason to break a contract. Cas are known as being receptive to all matters of mental health and have cases to prove it. Why would going to the unknown make it better?

Sorry, but it's a poor effort. He might be a little depressed when he loses and has a lot of money to pay. I expect sale to pick up that tab not us.