Remaining Fixtures

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Remaining Fixtures

Post by tigerfeat » 07 Jul 2019, 09:46

gateman wrote:Wakefield as been an happy hunting ground for a CAS over a number of years it cant go on for ever, on the o posit end of the scale i cant remember a win over at saints thats got to change sometime
Wakey are worse than us both teams look like a group of strangers that have been handed a rugby ball for the first time not pros who practice things all week
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

pomfretian
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by pomfretian » 07 Jul 2019, 09:52

A season to forget, I'm sorry to say (apart from the odd game perhaps, such as whupping Leeds at the official grand opening of their, dare I say it, magnificent new stadium).

Major injuries to key players and constant enforced changes has meant we have never managed to have consistency.

Hull FC have suffered similarly in recent seasons, but still managed to get to Wembley, and are having a reasonable season this year.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 07 Jul 2019, 12:18

Even if we do scrape into the top 5 come end of season i cant see us beating any of the top 4 teams with our dull n uninventive plays.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

black golf

Post by black golf » 07 Jul 2019, 13:27

Cas will win 5 of their remaining fixtures losing only to saints warrington and hull the crunch match will be the final game against Wigan away, if by some chance we beat one of top three the final game wont matter, lets be posotive and keep our spirits up have faith in DP.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 07 Jul 2019, 15:28

black golf wrote:Cas will win 5 of their remaining fixtures losing only to saints warrington and hull the crunch match will be the final game against Wigan away, if by some chance we beat one of top three the final game wont matter, lets be posotive and keep our spirits up have faith in DP.
Cannot see how we win 5 games playing as we are with so little creativity, as much as I'd love to believe you.

Ken Smith
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ken Smith » 08 Jul 2019, 07:54

Does anyone here think that we might beat Warrington as we play them the week before their Cup game against Hull FC and their 2nd position is almost secure now?

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 08 Jul 2019, 07:55

We also play Saints after the CC Final.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 08 Jul 2019, 08:01

Ken Smith wrote:Does anyone here think that we might beat Warrington as we play them the week before their Cup game against Hull FC and their 2nd position is almost secure now?
No Warrington n sts could play there 2nd team n still out score us this season
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Ken Smith
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re:History of Castleford RLFC

Post by Ken Smith » 08 Jul 2019, 13:07

Just to introduce myself to Casforum. I’ve been a Middlesbrough FC supporter since 1947 and have just completed a year by year history of the club from their formation in 1882(no I’m not that old) and their subsequent admission to the 2nd Division of the Football League in 1899 and right up to the ending of Bryan Robson’s reign as manager in 2001.Now this is of no interest to fans of Castleford RLFC, but I have historical data of all their matches and final league positions from the founding of this great club and their admission to Rugby League in 1926 although not as comprehensive as my data of the Boro.
However I married a Cas lass (now sadly deceased) in 1961 and was persuaded to go down t’lane to watch Cas on the 4th September 1965 to see them play a Yorkshire Cup match against Featherstone Rovers which I’m pleased to say Cas won 22-8. I remember the date because I was staying at my late wife’s auntie who lived in Queen Street only 10 minutes walk to Wheldon Road, and Yorkshire were playing Surrey in their first Gillette Cup Final at Lords in the black and white TV days, and Geoff Boycott was scoring at his usual slow pace and I became bored. However he accelerated later and even hit a six as Yorkshire won easily.
But back to Rugby League and Cas, and after the Fev match I was hooked despite only having a bare knowledge of the rules.It was of course the era of Chuck and Hepply, Bill Bryant, Johnny Ward and Clive Dickinson.Some of my early memories were driving to Headingley to watch Cas beat Leeds 13-9 in a Championship Quarterfinal playoff match in 1967. In those days the top 16 clubs played off at the end of the season. I also remember driving from my home in Redcar to watch Cas beat the Aussies 22-3 in an afternoon match after the original match was fogged off the night before. I also took some colleagues from work to Headingley for the Floodlit Final 8-5 win against Leigh, our 3rd successive BBC Floodlit Trophy win.
I also drove to Workington in a snowstorm to watch Cas win 7-2 in the Cup,and to Wakefield in the next round where we were unfortunately beaten 5-18.
By then I had become a regular commuter straight from work on a Friday to watch most of Castleford’s League matches.I even drove to Hull from work for a League match in December 1968 which we lost 0-5. I saw all Castleford’s Cup matches including the Finals at Wembley in 1969 and 1970. I’m probably one of very few people to have seen Cas beat St. Helens away from Wheldon Road, not at Knowsley Road though. It was at Station Road, Swinton in the 1970 Cup Semifinal where Cas won without scoring a try. It was 6-3 with 3 drop goals when they were worth 2 points each and a try was worth only 3 points. With today’s scoring system we’d have lost that match 3-4. Do you realise that Cas won 13 successive Challenge Cup matches until Leeds beat us 19-8 in the 1971 Semifinal? After the 1969 win against Salford in 1969 I drove to Odsal for the Championship Final against Leeds where Cas looked like completing the double as they led 14-11 with about 5 minutes remaining until Leeds scored a converted try to win 16-14. I’ve never seen Cas win at Odsal! The Premiership Trophy superceeded the old 16 club playoffs when only the top 8 participated and Cas beat Hull away 22-12 in 1984 to deprive them of meeting Hull KR in the Final at Headingley. I was at that Final and if I remember correctly Jon Wells scored a try to put Cas ahead, but we eventually lost 10-18.
Due to ill health the last time I saw Cas play was in 2014 in a Super League match when we beat Hull KR 54-12 and I enjoyed singing along to Neil Diamond’s recording of ‘Sweet Caroline’. Where it began? I can appreciate those sentiments as they appear appropriate following the appointment of Darren Powell as the Tiger’s coach. But it began so much further back for me in 1965, and Cas have given me so many happy memories since then. I’m sorry to waffle on so much, but when one gets to my age of 81 nostalgia is all one has left. I always maintain nostalgia is wasted on the young.

Finally if anybody wants to confirm dates and results of any matches I’m always ready to oblige.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 08 Jul 2019, 13:29

It was John Kear who scored the try in the 1984 Premiership Final, some great memories there as I started watching them way back in 1967 live but used to love to watch them on the tele before I managed to persuade my dad to start taking me as well.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Re:History of Castleford RLFC

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 08 Jul 2019, 15:00

Ken Smith wrote:Just to introduce myself to Casforum. I’ve been a Middlesbrough FC supporter since 1947 and have just completed a year by year history of the club from their formation in 1882(no I’m not that old) and their subsequent admission to the 2nd Division of the Football League in 1899 and right up to the ending of Bryan Robson’s reign as manager in 2001.Now this is of no interest to fans of Castleford RLFC, but I have historical data of all their matches and final league positions from the founding of this great club and their admission to Rugby League in 1926 although not as comprehensive as my data of the Boro.
However I married a Cas lass (now sadly deceased) in 1961 and was persuaded to go down t’lane to watch Cas on the 4th September 1965 to see them play a Yorkshire Cup match against Featherstone Rovers which I’m pleased to say Cas won 22-8. I remember the date because I was staying at my late wife’s auntie who lived in Queen Street only 10 minutes walk to Wheldon Road, and Yorkshire were playing Surrey in their first Gillette Cup Final at Lords in the black and white TV days, and Geoff Boycott was scoring at his usual slow pace and I became bored. However he accelerated later and even hit a six as Yorkshire won easily.
But back to Rugby League and Cas, and after the Fev match I was hooked despite only having a bare knowledge of the rules.It was of course the era of Chuck and Hepply, Bill Bryant, Johnny Ward and Clive Dickinson.Some of my early memories were driving to Headingley to watch Cas beat Leeds 13-9 in a Championship Quarterfinal playoff match in 1967. In those days the top 16 clubs played off at the end of the season. I also remember driving from my home in Redcar to watch Cas beat the Aussies 22-3 in an afternoon match after the original match was fogged off the night before. I also took some colleagues from work to Headingley for the Floodlit Final 8-5 win against Leigh, our 3rd successive BBC Floodlit Trophy win.
I also drove to Workington in a snowstorm to watch Cas win 7-2 in the Cup,and to Wakefield in the next round where we were unfortunately beaten 5-18.
By then I had become a regular commuter straight from work on a Friday to watch most of Castleford’s League matches.I even drove to Hull from work for a League match in December 1968 which we lost 0-5. I saw all Castleford’s Cup matches including the Finals at Wembley in 1969 and 1970. I’m probably one of very few people to have seen Cas beat St. Helens away from Wheldon Road, not at Knowsley Road though. It was at Station Road, Swinton in the 1970 Cup Semifinal where Cas won without scoring a try. It was 6-3 with 3 drop goals when they were worth 2 points each and a try was worth only 3 points. With today’s scoring system we’d have lost that match 3-4. Do you realise that Cas won 13 successive Challenge Cup matches until Leeds beat us 19-8 in the 1971 Semifinal? After the 1969 win against Salford in 1969 I drove to Odsal for the Championship Final against Leeds where Cas looked like completing the double as they led 14-11 with about 5 minutes remaining until Leeds scored a converted try to win 16-14. I’ve never seen Cas win at Odsal! The Premiership Trophy superceeded the old 16 club playoffs when only the top 8 participated and Cas beat Hull away 22-12 in 1984 to deprive them of meeting Hull KR in the Final at Headingley. I was at that Final and if I remember correctly Jon Wells scored a try to put Cas ahead, but we eventually lost 10-18.
Due to ill health the last time I saw Cas play was in 2014 in a Super League match when we beat Hull KR 54-12 and I enjoyed singing along to Neil Diamond’s recording of ‘Sweet Caroline’. Where it began? I can appreciate those sentiments as they appear appropriate following the appointment of Darren Powell as the Tiger’s coach. But it began so much further back for me in 1965, and Cas have given me so many happy memories since then. I’m sorry to waffle on so much, but when one gets to my age of 81 nostalgia is all one has left. I always maintain nostalgia is wasted on the young.

Finally if anybody wants to confirm dates and results of any matches I’m always ready to oblige.
Fascinating read and lots of shared memories there.
Interestingly I’m a long distance Boro fan too. My Dad was a lifelong Boro fan but when he moved to Cas in the early 1950s he went to his first Cas match with his next door neighbour and was totally hooked and rarely went to football matches after that.
I was brought up as a Cas fan and watched them from the early 60s The subsequent seasons were brilliant times for all Cas fans.

classycas57
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classycas57 » 08 Jul 2019, 15:16

black golf wrote:Cas will win 5 of their remaining fixtures losing only to saints warrington and hull the crunch match will be the final game against Wigan away, if by some chance we beat one of top three the final game wont matter, lets be posotive and keep our spirits up have faith in DP.
But the trouble is we don't have faith.

Ken Smith
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ken Smith » 08 Jul 2019, 15:44

Quite correct Sharlotiger. It was John Kear who scored Cas’s try.

Ken Smith
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ken Smith » 08 Jul 2019, 22:56

As we’re all aware Cas have just ended a long sequence of successes against Leeds Rhinos stretching back to 2015 with 11 wins in 12 matches except for the one that mattered most, the Grand Final in 2017. These sort of results tend to run in cycles. For example from the 1926/27 season Cas won only twice at Headingley in 43 attempts in the League until the 1973/74 season. Similarly Cas have beaten Wakefield Trinity 15 times in their last 16 Super League encounters yet lost 24 successive League matches at Belle Vue from the 1939/40 season until the 1968/69 season. On the brighter side, although Cas haven’t won a League match at St.Helens since the 1991/92 season, just one drawn match in 1998 and 30 defeats. But it was never always like this, as Cas in the seasons preceding Super League Cas beat the Saints 12 times in 14 League matches at Wheldon Road with one draw in the 1991/92 season and the only defeat in the 1993/94 season. What’s more Cas won 7 times at Knowsley Road, 4 of them in successive seasons from the 1980/81 including a thumping 40-10 away win in the 1981/82 season. Cas also had a great record against Salford between the 1983/84 season to the 2002 Super League season with only 5 defeats in 27 matches home and away, and from 2009 to this year only 5 defeats in 22 League matches.
Now both Leeds and Salford have beaten Cas this year, let’s hope that Wakefield don’t end their losing sequence against us on Friday night. Nevertheless Cas are due an away win at St.Helens. Wouldn’t that be a turn up for the records.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 08 Jul 2019, 23:54

Welcome aboard Ken Smith
I have trouble remembering what I had for tea so could never provide the type of comprehensive information that is your forte.
I cannot remember my first game.
I had never played or watched a game of rugby but went along with the future father in law been going ever since.
I have to say despite my usual optimism l cannot see where our next win will be but hopefully we can manage 3 before the final whistle is blown.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 09 Jul 2019, 07:22

Thanks Ken Smith i would have watched almost all those matchs thanks for jogging my memory a great read

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 10 Jul 2019, 21:31

Good to hear from you Ken. Good reading.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 10 Jul 2019, 21:45

casjunction wrote:Welcome aboard Ken Smith
I have trouble remembering what I had for tea so could never provide the type of comprehensive information that is your forte.
I cannot remember my first game.
I had never played or watched a game of rugby but went along with the future father in law been going ever since.
I have to say despite my usual optimism l cannot see where our next win will be but hopefully we can manage 3 before the final whistle is blown.
Hope fully London don't pick any more wins we have maybe two More wins in us being a, shambles this year injurys and players not good enough. but all super league being poor, standard apart from top two