Greg Eden

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Greg Eden

Post by Flat Capper » 10 Jul 2019, 12:30

Whilst I fully appreciate Eden's error, I don't want to start watching games where risk is totally ruled out. Over the years there has been some magical off-the-cuff plays that have delighted many.

I also appreciate there have been many occasions when things didn't work out but that should also be part of the game.

Shake your head lad and move on, you know you dropped a bullock!
Spreading the Cas gene pool

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 10 Jul 2019, 12:41

flow wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:McShane’s error against Leeds was minor compared to Eden’s. He saw a chance to score and it didn’t work. They are forgivable errors, especially when kicking a DG wasn’t guaranteed either.

Eden’s on the other hand is unforgivable and an act of stupidity. You get taught from a young age never to do anything silly on your own 10m line, never mind lob out a 40 yard pass. He could have made an extra 10-15m and set us up nicely to make some decent metres and put Leeds under more pressure just as they were teetering. There was no reason for him to make such a pass and doing so cost us - and his teammates - any chance of winning the game.

Like chalk and cheese for me.
If the full length interception try would have stood and we went on and won you be all praising him. Nice post like very informative again your knowledge is better then most rugby paper's keep it up.
Maybe so. But I can't be the only one who mutters under my breath "do not throw it"/has my heart in my mouth every time Eden gets the ball near his own line.

I have no problem with the risky stuff when we're comfortably winning but when behind you just need to keep your foot to the pedal and complete/put the pressure on - particularly when low on confidence.

As a side, we're struggling to even do the basics at the moment and until we are competent and effective in doing that, the risky, flaunty stuff should be deprioritised in our own half.

As for the backhanded compliment, sarcasm isn't your forte. I've seen you post this 3/4 times now in reply to me and it doesn't wash.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 10 Jul 2019, 13:11

Eden outside gale and shenny is a different player. Ultimately for all his ability. Your not 100 percent he's not going to drop a ball, knock it on our their a daft pass. But he is a confidence player and the team is missing a bit of that.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 10 Jul 2019, 13:25

Flat Capper wrote:Whilst I fully appreciate Eden's error, I don't want to start watching games where risk is totally ruled out. Over the years there has been some magical off-the-cuff plays that have delighted many.

I also appreciate there have been many occasions when things didn't work out but that should also be part of the game.

Shake your head lad and move on, you know you dropped a bullock!
Thing is when we did something like that 2 year ago and it didn’t come off we were already winning by 20/30.i wouldn’t want him to totally stop taking risks just the timing was awful on this occasion.8mins to go in the ascendency and ball in hand.he will be back in sure

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 10 Jul 2019, 13:26

We were behind the sticks with the Leeds fans. When Greg got the ball, my son said "Watch Eden mess up" (although he didn't say mess). Lo and behold, he throws the hail mary and the two Leeds fans we were standing with started laughing.
What is it I'm saying? It's what we expect to happen and is why we hold our breath when he gets near the ball. He needs to realise it's not playground tig and pass.

steadygetyerboots-on
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by steadygetyerboots-on » 10 Jul 2019, 13:30

It’s tough to take when it goes wrong, but I’m at the games to be entertained. For me; the pass was on & although not perfect, Blair should’ve been expecting it & once it was thrown should have moved towards it & caught it.
It didn’t come off this time, but that doesn’t mean you don’t go for it again to me. If the players think something is on, then they should go for it.
"Stand by me as I stand by you, be brave and dare to dream".

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 10 Jul 2019, 13:45

steadygetyerboots-on wrote:It’s tough to take when it goes wrong, but I’m at the games to be entertained. For me; the pass was on & although not perfect, Blair should’ve been expecting it & once it was thrown should have moved towards it & caught it.
It didn’t come off this time, but that doesn’t mean you don’t go for it again to me. If the players think something is on, then they should go for it.
I agree to a point, as I think the modern game is prescriptive, like the NFL. But as for "Blair should be expecting it", can't agree with that at all.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 10 Jul 2019, 14:02

cogito ergo sum wrote:
steadygetyerboots-on wrote:It’s tough to take when it goes wrong, but I’m at the games to be entertained. For me; the pass was on & although not perfect, Blair should’ve been expecting it & once it was thrown should have moved towards it & caught it.
I agree to a point, as I think the modern game is prescriptive, like the NFL. But as for "Blair should be expecting it", can't agree with that at all.
"Expecting it" is perhaps a little too much but once the ball was in the air, so bad was the pass that it took ages to get where he intended, so much so the Leeds player had time to approach Blair, Blair had time to run onto it. He stands still and lets it bounce which only compounded the poor execution.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

Dixie D
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dixie D » 10 Jul 2019, 14:05

Seems a poor move by DP this with a team already low on confidence. No need to single him out in public, give him a [REMOVED] behind closed doors maybe but he was trying to win us the game and for 70 minutes we were hardly tearing through them and if this came off he is a hero. No wonder we are playing such boring rugby, they are scared to make a mistake.

steadygetyerboots-on
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by steadygetyerboots-on » 10 Jul 2019, 14:26

cogito ergo sum wrote:
Maybe ‘expecting it’ is the wrong phrase, how about prepared for it? If the bloke inside you has the ball, no matter how far apart you are, then there’s plenty you should be doing. Making yourself open for a pass, even if you don’t get it, makes the defender(s) think & Blair jus wasn’t concentrating at all in my opinion. As soon as the ball is in the air then anyone with eyes has a good idea where it’s gonna land, especially a pro RL player. Blair had time to move toward the ball, but he look so startled by it that he just stood still. That’s what I’m getting at; he should’ve been ready instead of going through the motions.
"Stand by me as I stand by you, be brave and dare to dream".

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 10 Jul 2019, 15:09

HuddsTigers wrote:
flow wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:McShane’s error against Leeds was minor compared to Eden’s. He saw a chance to score and it didn’t work. They are forgivable errors, especially when kicking a DG wasn’t guaranteed either.

Eden’s on the other hand is unforgivable and an act of stupidity. You get taught from a young age never to do anything silly on your own 10m line, never mind lob out a 40 yard pass. He could have made an extra 10-15m and set us up nicely to make some decent metres and put Leeds under more pressure just as they were teetering. There was no reason for him to make such a pass and doing so cost us - and his teammates - any chance of winning the game.

Like chalk and cheese for me.
If the full length interception try would have stood and we went on and won you be all praising him. Nice post like very informative again your knowledge is better then most rugby paper's keep it up.
Maybe so. But I can't be the only one who mutters under my breath "do not throw it"/has my heart in my mouth every time Eden gets the ball near his own line.

I have no problem with the risky stuff when we're comfortably winning but when behind you just need to keep your foot to the pedal and complete/put the pressure on - particularly when low on confidence.

As a side, we're struggling to even do the basics at the moment and until we are competent and effective in doing that, the risky, flaunty stuff should be deprioritised in our own half.

As for the backhanded compliment, sarcasm isn't your forte. I've seen you post this 3/4 times now in reply to me and it doesn't wash.
Can't win with you complement you not happy disagree with you not happy but not taking the [REMOVED] your best poster on here agree or disagree with you at times butt keep the deep anylisum coming it's better read then rugby weekly .

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 10 Jul 2019, 15:12

Flat Capper wrote:
cogito ergo sum wrote:
"Expecting it" is perhaps a little too much but once the ball was in the air, so bad was the pass that it took ages to get where he intended, so much so the Leeds player had time to approach Blair, Blair had time to run onto it. He stands still and lets it bounce which only compounded the poor execution.
What would he have done with it if caught it. Hardly going to run full length off field on one good leg. Needs good ball near line to use his size to barge over

Boom
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Boom » 10 Jul 2019, 16:16

We all go to games to be entertained and there's nothing wrong with playing with flair.

The problem with Eden is his execution rarely matches his ambition. If it did he would still be playing for Brisbane.

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 10 Jul 2019, 16:23

How many times does he need to drop an almighty ballcock before he gets the message? He has been told time and time again after his previous pecker-ups and still hasn’t learnt the lesson. Yes his pace would have been useful against Wakey but enough is enough. The lad is as thick as mince and needs to go away and think of the consequences of his actions. Dropping him is the correct decision, this is not a form or ability thing like McShane, Milner or Egodo but a taking responsibility one.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 10 Jul 2019, 16:32

The Firm wrote:How many times does he need to drop an almighty ballcock before he gets the message? He has been told time and time again after his previous pecker-ups and still hasn’t learnt the lesson. Yes his pace would have been useful against Wakey but enough is enough. The lad is as thick as mince
Exactly! As I said yesterday, he hasn’t got a brain. Save your breath telling him as he’s too stupid to comprehend it. Accept it and play him for his pace or get rid - it’s that simple in my opinion.

Ken Smith
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ken Smith » 11 Jul 2019, 07:39

Is dropping Eden though like throwing out the baby with the bath water? No pun intended.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 11 Jul 2019, 09:39

Greg with ball in hand and an open field in front of him is a delight to watch,but when is he going to break the line on his own as top flight wingers do ?? Greg was made to look better than he is by the service he had when Gale was on the field Solomna was the same before him, Greg for me is just a mill of the run winger no better or worse than the other wingers on our books at the present time

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 11 Jul 2019, 09:47

Powell as took away the only pace we have in the team.

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 11 Jul 2019, 09:53

old cas lass wrote:Powell as took away the only pace we have in the team.
and that is why he is better than our other wingers he has pace to burn.he has lacked any service whatsoever this season.

Juscas
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Juscas » 11 Jul 2019, 10:15

What does annoy me slightly is yes it was stupid but it only gave away a scrum not an interception.good teams defend that set of 6 and have another shot at them.dont see Aston etc being given stick for letting lui score