Powell

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Powell

Post by Mucky1978 » 13 Jun 2019, 23:22

I think he needs to walk away at the end of the season as he really as took us as far as he can.

Leeds would be a great fit for him.

2017 will never be bettered and the poor players he as brought in since then are the reason we are going backwards ya can’t just blame the board for the signing he as the final say.

And I don’t mean take the easy option and give it to Danny Orr who is just a glorified ball boy.

Get rid of him Orr and Sheridan and start again.

Thanks for the memories Darryl you won’t be forgoton.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Powell

Post by HuddsTigers » 13 Jun 2019, 23:29

I disagree. Powell isn’t the problem - it’s the players that threw it away tonight.

He’s right - freshen the squad and go again.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 13 Jun 2019, 23:31

Mucky1978 wrote:I think he needs to walk away at the end of the season as he really as took us as far as he can.

2017 will never be bettered and the poor players he as brought in since then are the reason we are going backwards ya can’t just blame the board for the signing he as the final say.

And I don’t mean take the easy option and give it to Danny Orr who is just a glorified ball boy.

But arsh this a think mate all coaches we have had have struggled to back up with as good season after a good one. Maybe its a financial reasons we never back up . We desparetly need that new stadium to release more funds to make us consistently challenging instead off every ten years.

Akcas87
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Akcas87 » 13 Jun 2019, 23:33

HuddsTigers wrote:I disagree. Powell isn’t the problem - it’s the players that threw it away tonight.

He’s right - freshen the squad and go again.

I agree freshen up the squad but freshen up our worn out boring attack that everyone in super league has figured out

Spy in the stands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Spy in the stands » 13 Jun 2019, 23:35

Taken Cas as far as he can. Sadly he knows it!!!! Now even heard fans calling for his head. All the pre match on the pitch high fiving with players has gone! Even left home match debut changing room to somebody else! Sad fact is our best super league coach had list interest and its time go go Powell but he deserves the chance to walk away not sacking
Last edited by Spy in the stands on 13 Jun 2019, 23:45, edited 1 time in total.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 13 Jun 2019, 23:39

Need a bloody lot of freshening that is for sure how some players keep getting picked week after week who arnt performing is a mystery to me
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 13 Jun 2019, 23:42

Mucky1978 wrote:I think he needs to walk away at the end of the season as he really as took us as far as he can.

Have you forgotten where we were before Powell?
When he took over in 2013 we were in serious danger of relegation.
We’ve made a cup final and a grand final in his 5 and a half years at the club.
Our last cup final was 1992 and we’d never made a grand final.
In 2014 we finished 4th, in 2015 we finished 5th, in 2016 we finished 6th, in 2017 we finished 1st and in 2018 we finished 3rd.
I’ve spent most of my life fearing the worst. Now, i actually feel like we have a chance of winning something.

Spy in the stands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Spy in the stands » 13 Jun 2019, 23:46

Not denying what he achieved...

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 13 Jun 2019, 23:48

nottinghamtiger wrote:

Have you forgotten where we were before Powell?
When he took over in 2013 we were in serious danger of relegation.
We’ve made a cup final and a grand final in his 5 and a half years at the club.
Our last cup final was 1992 and we’d never made a grand final.
In 2014 we finished 4th, in 2015 we finished 5th, in 2016 we finished 6th, in 2017 we finished 1st and in 2018 we finished 3rd.
I’ve spent most of my life fearing the worst. Now, i actually feel like we have a chance of winning something.
They certainly being more ups then downs we Powell don't matter how good a coach is if not getting backing from purse holders going to struggle in the long run

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 13 Jun 2019, 23:50

Spy in the stands wrote:Not denying what he achieved...
And still achieving. I’d much rather finish 5th and have a chance of silverware with Powell than have a knee jerk reaction, get rid of him like you’re recommending, and end up back in 10th.

We are stronger with Powell. He’s a damn good coach. Squads evolve and change. You can’t win every week. He keeps us in and around the top 4 every season. He’s doing a super job for a club with the resources we have.

People’s expectations have gone so far off the scale it’s insane. Anyone would think we are the St Helens of rugby league. When did we become so arrogant that we suddenly think we should be unbeatable?
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 13 Jun 2019, 23:50

And despite the fact we are still very much in contention for the end-of-season play-offs, you think he should leave?

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 13 Jun 2019, 23:53

HuddsTigers wrote:
And still achieving. I’d much rather finish 5th and have a chance of silverware with Powell than have a knee jerk reaction, get rid of him like you’re recommending, and end up back in 10th.

We are stronger with Powell. He’s a damn good coach. Squads evolve and change. You can’t win every week. He keeps us in and around the top 4 every season. He’s doing a super job for a club with the resources we have.

People’s expectations have gone so far off the scale it’s insane. Anyone would think we are the St Helens of rugby league. When did we become so arrogant that we suddenly think we should be unbeatable?
Not often I agree with HuddsTiger, but I think we are absolutely on the same page with this one.
You won’t find a better coach than Powell.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 14 Jun 2019, 00:00

nottinghamtiger wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:

Not often I agree with HuddsTiger, but I think we are absolutely on the same page with this one.
Not often I agree with Notts tiger and hudds tiger but he is top coach. What's worrying if we don't give him financial backing he will be Leeds coach next year

Spy in the stands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Spy in the stands » 14 Jun 2019, 00:08

Gates are down where we giving him extra money from? Powell has spent nearly 300,000 alone on transfer fees over last 2/3 seasons? No major honours??

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 14 Jun 2019, 00:08

What do you mean give him financial backing ? We spend the full salary cap and he dosnt want a marquee player ...apparently
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Casmania
Verified

Post by Casmania » 14 Jun 2019, 00:12

The salary cap is fully covered by central funding.
The daily lottery was supposed to be used to fund signings, recent recruitment brings that into question.

MY CLUB. MY CAS

Spy in the stands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Spy in the stands » 14 Jun 2019, 00:16

We need a Ceo back at the heart of the business

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 14 Jun 2019, 00:26

tigerfeat wrote:What do you mean give him financial backing ? We spend the full salary cap and he dosnt want a marquee player ...apparently
who's to blame then powells his a good coach and were getting full financial backing as you say the blame as to stop some were but were could be a good debate.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 14 Jun 2019, 00:35

flow wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:What do you mean give him financial backing ? We spend the full salary cap and he dosnt want a marquee player ...apparently
who's to blame then powells his a good coach and were getting full financial backing as you say the blame as to stop some were but were could be a good debate.
Is there blame, or is it just the nature of sport?
Some years everything goes for you. Other years, it doesn’t.
How much is down to luck? Or more pertinently, bad luck with injuries?

I”m critical of our recruitment both before 2018 and 2019 though and think we need to see some successful recruitment going into 2020.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 14 Jun 2019, 01:17

nottinghamtiger wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:

I’m with both of you on this