Today’s game

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: Today’s game

Post by HuddsTigers » 26 May 2019, 23:26

Like others, I wouldn’t agree with labelling it disgusting. It could have been but the players did manage to save face and the effort was there.

We had a great first 10 minute spell and the pendulum swung on the back of a jammy try for Saints from our attack. Tell you what - I do think Saints are one of the luckiest teams going. Everything seems to fall for them and then they get soft ref calls too.

After that we just imploded until Roby got binned and we then managed to reclaim a foothold in the game and get on the scoresheet.

Second half we tried our best but were just outmuscled in the end.

Saints are very quick around the ruck and manage to return the ball very well. They have only lost once this season and are miles ahead of everyone else at the moment. There’s no shame in losing to them, just disappointing we coughed up the ball so much.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 26 May 2019, 23:32

duke street 10 wrote:
SREGITSAC wrote:
RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote:Gulf between the two sides in terms of speed and strength was so stark.
Defensively and with ball they looked like they were in a different league to us.
Fitness a slight worry. Lack of ability to open them up when it mattered still a big issue. But getting run over and bullied is so hard to watch.
Won 7 out of 55! What an appalling record. And many many of those have been absolute hidings. Even when we have a decent side. Yet other teams seem to be able to compete with Saints and give them a game at times. It's not often we do. Yes they are a great team but to rarely even be in a competitive game with them is beyond me.
I get your frustration 100%, however the latest team to run them close lost to HKR this weekend so..... it all means nothing at the moment, we need to improve a lot to beat them when it matters and we have time.
So in time for example Clare will morph into Tommy Makinson and Will Maher into Luke Thompson? There are others like them in our squad. They all aren't going to get much better for us to challenge again.
Interesting and worrying point to think about:
Who will improve in our squad? Who has already peaked/in decline?

Piquad1
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Piquad1 » 27 May 2019, 04:22

Tonight's game so frustrating. It beggars belief why we stand waiting for them to come to us for god's sake go of the mark and and hit them.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 27 May 2019, 06:18

Piquad1 wrote:Tonight's game so frustrating. It beggars belief why we stand waiting for them to come to us for god's sake go of the mark and and hit them.
We hardly have any control of the ruck and wrestle against them. Their ball playing speed is something we struggle to control.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 27 May 2019, 07:53

Simply not good enough Cas. Fitness is so poor, desire is one existent and mistakes by the same old players are not helping. Everyone knows what Saints are about yet we consistently get hammered by them so often.

How can they do what they do and we have no answer almost every time for as long as it has been happening?

Cheap options and no quality is why we are where we are. I seriously doubt that we will see 2017 again at Cas. Too much back slapping and no improvement is why we are where we are. Schoolboy errors week after week are not helping as are injuries but does anyone believethT we would be top 2 without the injuries?

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 27 May 2019, 08:01

well im sick of seeing our forward just passing the ball along the line, when did we stop driving the ball hard into the opposition (mitch clark) & trying to wear them down? having said that the score line wasn't as bad as i feared :roll:

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 27 May 2019, 08:36

I was as disappointed as everyone else last night as apart from the first 10 minutes, we weren't at the races, but I have to temper that with the fact that we still had as many as 8 of our best players missing, mostly injured, I'm sure even a couple of those could have made a big difference, just look at the impact Jesse made at Whino's!

On their day, Saints are streets ahead of every other team in the competition, even though every other team has the same salary cap.

The point has been made about our recruitment, but it has to be said that historically, we have had to pay more than such as Saints and even Leeds, to attract top notch players, plus there's the introduction of the marquee players, a market we're definitely not in.

It's Huddersfield up next and we certainly owe them one, but going by their performance against Hull FC, especially Joe Wardle, who seems to be putting the effort in for the Giants that he didn't for us! It will be a tough ask, but hopefully, we'll have a couple more bodies back and with the home support behind team, we'll win to keep our faltering top 5 hopes alive.
Danny Boy

stuey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by stuey » 27 May 2019, 09:10

I thought we would get hammered, but the result was not as bad as I feared. Minniken had a good game and was far better than our other centre, who has been un-impressive since his arrival.

Saints are miles ahead of any of the other 11 teams and I will be gob-smacked if they don`t win all three trophies this year.

But having said that, we are currently playing badly - some of it is down to missing players but not all of it.

We need some players back and a massive improvement, or we can forget about top 5 and a realistic finish is 8th or 9th.

Fryston Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Fryston Tiger » 27 May 2019, 11:37

Saints PTBs were miles quicker than ours. On average, it took us 5 seconds to get up n play on, whereas Saints were up in a couple of secs. They consistently turned us on our backs with 3 n 4 men in the tackle, whilst they fought hard to get to their feet when we were tackling them. It made a massive difference. We really needed to put a score on early when we dominated that first 10-15 minutes, but we were way too slow at getting the ball wide. Also, the lapses in concentration are killing us.....

Dez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dez » 27 May 2019, 14:05

One of the worrying things is Mcshane is starting to look average also. There seems a distinct lack of confidence in the whole set up team and management

Dez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dez » 27 May 2019, 14:05

One of the worrying things is Mcshane is starting to look average also. There seems a distinct lack of confidence in the whole set up team and management

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 27 May 2019, 14:26

Apart from the first and last 10 minutes and apart from a couple of players, the whole team looked resigned to losing and were like dead men walking - no enthusiasm, no invention and a total lack of concentration and focus. Saints were a lot faster and are playing the game with forwards running onto the ball at pace and not half hearted as Cas were doing apart from Watts and Cook. Saints could have put more points on us if they had wanted to and that's so disappointing.

DP must look to instil confidence back into the team as its defo missing and needs to get some new ideas into training as we are looking same old same old and slower in executing moves than 2 years ago. Saints have and that's the difference as they have moved up gears and we've slipped back. It's not enough to keep looking at the injury list - Saints had players missing also !

I think it's time for a squad spring clean and bring some "agile" heftiness into the forwards which is sadly lacking (i.e. on the ilk of Pauli Pauli, Murdoch Masila etc). Milner is too small and at the moment couldn't even Beat an Egg !

heppy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by heppy » 27 May 2019, 16:14

Just one thought.If Grace had been on our right wing he would have had a hat trick.You have to have pace on the wing,or be exceptionally strong,our right side has neither.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 27 May 2019, 17:33

Someone mentioned salford earlier and there performance v saints and the one thing they in that game was show little respect and get in the faces of saints with plenty of aggression.i believe if teams do that v them then they make mistakes and they lose rhythm to there play

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 27 May 2019, 19:20

Scoopage wrote:Someone mentioned salford earlier and there performance v saints and the one thing they in that game was show little respect and get in the faces of saints with plenty of aggression.i believe if teams do that v them then they make mistakes and they lose rhythm to there play
So basically do what Saints keep doing to us.