Ambition

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Tigersbarmy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Ambition

Post by Tigersbarmy » 23 Mar 2019, 01:14

Just would like to post this tonight , yes I know that we got outplayed tonight and saints was the better side . But for me personally a massive factor on why saints are a lot better side than us is that they’ve strengthened there squad over the last 2 year and we haven’t . We should have really kicked on after the 2017 season . But the recruitment for a team that had got to the grand final and won the league wasn’t good enough . Signing people like Jamie Ellis , Cory aston , James green . And we had the problem all year with the full back and we never got a replacement in till the last couple of month of the season . I know we have signed Liam Watts , Mata’utia and Wardle, but we’ve had some garbage . I know people will say we signed fringe players before and Powell has turned them into very good players but we are a different team now to 2013 when Powell came half way through the year . Before the start of the season we all knew we needed a centre and another winger . How long will it be into the season before we bring one in (we didn’t loose tonight cos we don’t have a centre ) For me If we want to kick on and be like saints and cement our authority at the top we need to be ruthless in letting players go and bringing them in . I am sure we’ll finish 3rd and beat the rhinos next week . Just annoying as a fan when you see your club has made record profits yet don’t seem to be investing into the team as well as it could . Also scary to think how much money some of our bread and butter players are on If were up to cap

Jonny1975
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Ambition

Post by Jonny1975 » 23 Mar 2019, 01:19

You've hit the nail smash on its head, we had a platform in 2017 to propell us into a long stay in the top 4 and instead we have regressed, due to poor / pointless close season signings for the last two yrs. These signings will take us right back to where we were 5 yrs ago. Short sighted from the board and the coach.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 23 Mar 2019, 01:31

Tigersbarmy wrote:Just would like to post this tonight , yes I know that we got outplayed tonight and saints was the better side . But for me personally a massive factor on why saints are a lot better side than us is that they’ve strengthened there squad over the last 2 year and we haven’t . We should have really kicked on after the 2017 season . But the recruitment for a team that had got to the grand final and won the league wasn’t good enough . Signing people like Jamie Ellis , Cory aston , James green . And we had the problem all year with the full back and we never got a replacement in till the last couple of month of the season . I know we have signed Liam Watts , Mata’utia and Wardle, but we’ve had some garbage . I know people will say we signed fringe players before and Powell has turned them into very good players but we are a different team now to 2013 when Powell came half way through the year . Before the start of the season we all knew we needed a centre and another winger . How long will it be into the season before we bring one in (we didn’t loose tonight cos we don’t have a centre ) For me If we want to kick on and be like saints and cement our authority at the top we need to be ruthless in letting players go and bringing them in . I am sure we’ll finish 3rd and beat the rhinos next week . Just annoying as a fan when you see your club has made record profits yet don’t seem to be investing into the team as well as it could . Also scary to think how much money some of our bread and butter players are on If were up to cap
exactly being saying this for last two years and got slated by tinted glasses bigrade squad is not good enough simple

Tigersbarmy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigersbarmy » 23 Mar 2019, 01:56

I love cas too bits and is very rare I miss a game but I just feel as though sometimes these things need brining up . I know some people will come at me with me old ‘get behind your team ‘ . Just my opinion is everything I’ve wrote above

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 23 Mar 2019, 07:26

Jonny1975 wrote:we had a platform in 2017 to propell us into a long stay in the top 4.
Just as we did after 1999 and look how that ended 5 years on.

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 23 Mar 2019, 08:31

take saints and wire out and super league is really poor this year.we will still be top 4 but a long way off challenging for silverware.i think the people that run the club are more than happy with this and I really do wonder what happens when Darryl decides enough is enough.

Black n Amber
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Black n Amber » 23 Mar 2019, 08:57

Tigersbarmy wrote:Just would like to post this tonight , yes I know that we got outplayed tonight and saints was the better side . But for me personally a massive factor on why saints are a lot better side than us is that they’ve strengthened there squad over the last 2 year and we haven’t . We should have really kicked on after the 2017 season . But the recruitment for a team that had got to the grand final and won the league wasn’t good enough . Signing people like Jamie Ellis , Cory aston , James green . And we had the problem all year with the full back and we never got a replacement in till the last couple of month of the season . I know we have signed Liam Watts , Mata’utia and Wardle, but we’ve had some garbage . I know people will say we signed fringe players before and Powell has turned them into very good players but we are a different team now to 2013 when Powell came half way through the year . Before the start of the season we all knew we needed a centre and another winger . How long will it be into the season before we bring one in (we didn’t loose tonight cos we don’t have a centre ) For me If we want to kick on and be like saints and cement our authority at the top we need to be ruthless in letting players go and bringing them in . I am sure we’ll finish 3rd and beat the rhinos next week . Just annoying as a fan when you see your club has made record profits yet don’t seem to be investing into the team as well as it could . Also scary to think how much money some of our bread and butter players are on If were up to cap
Adam Milner’s a prime example, was playing out of his skin up until his contract was up for renewal, made no secret that he’d love to have a blast in the NRL, that’s perfectly fine, nobody should step in the way of anyone wanting to test themselves against the very best, but the club bust a gut to retain him, he signed the deal which you’d have to think would be top dollar, within a week of him doing so he was on the Oli and Jy show basically saying their was never any concrete offer from down under, and only Newcastle showed any real interest, that to me just smacks of someone not one bit interested in the club, and was left with very few options, his form post signing has been rank babba, he looked all at sea playing for England, so much so they wouldn’t pass him the ball, and granted, he picked the knock up at London, but he’s started this season in the same fashion.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 23 Mar 2019, 09:36

Spot on with Milner him or his agent had the club's trousers down with the nonsense of Canberra wanting to sign since signing a lucrative new contract he's been (REMOVED)
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 23 Mar 2019, 10:18

Ambition we have none simple as that.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 23 Mar 2019, 10:21

tigerfeat wrote:Spot on with Milner him or his agent had the club's trousers down with the nonsense of Canberra wanting to sign since signing a lucrative new contract he's been (REMOVED)
Agree with this sadly. Same with Mcmeeken last year.
Thought Shenny did ok last night but still am gobsmacked at 2 year extension.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 23 Mar 2019, 10:22

tigerfeat wrote:Spot on with Milner him or his agent had the club's trousers down with the nonsense of Canberra wanting to sign since signing a lucrative new contract he's been (REMOVED)

That's why I wouldn't trust SMTM as far as I could throw him, he will ship Trueman off within 2 years 100%, he'll already be counting the money from that in his back pocket!

dancas88
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by dancas88 » 23 Mar 2019, 11:05

I'm not sure that's lack of ambition. More poor recruitment tactics going for a large squad of experienced/project players instead of a more expensive 17-19 and then relying on youth. We have spent up to salary cap for last 3 seasons as well as paying fees for several players

Fryston Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Fryston Tiger » 23 Mar 2019, 11:42

We always get posts like this after a s!@# defeat. If it was all down to recruitment why didn't Warrington n Saints win anything last year? I believe it's more a mentality thing. That's why Leeds beat us at OT in 2017. They had big game mentality and we were busted by the ZH situation. For a small Town Club I think we're doing pretty well and yes we can improve in a lot of areas but let's not forget where we were just 5 years ago.

init
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by init » 23 Mar 2019, 12:38

Fryston Tiger wrote:We always get posts like this after a s!@# defeat. If it was all down to recruitment why didn't Warrington n Saints win anything last year? I believe it's more a mentality thing. That's why Leeds beat us at OT in 2017. They had big game mentality and we were busted by the ZH situation. For a small Town Club I think we're doing pretty well and yes we can improve in a lot of areas but let's not forget where we were just 5 years ago.
I totally agree think Dp has got our recruitment right more than wrong and its more down to a mental mountain we have to overcome especially against Sts......our record against Sts is seriously poor but seems more relevant as we are now considered as a top club and should be at least competing.

Whats the answer i dont know.....but the rabbits in headlights we get from our team against Sts needs addressing somehow

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 23 Mar 2019, 13:01

Squads constantly evolve and the problem we have is that we have retained our squad - our 17 that made the Grand Final - who all demand higher money and market value.

The problem for us is that we have/had a lot of money tied up in fringe players and or injured players.

Roberts going helps us out big style and then people like Maher and Aston who will probably be on peanuts but still taking cap space really should be let go. We are top heavy in certain positions, back row as an example (Holmes, Jesse, Moors, McMeeken, Foster, Clarkson), which we really need to make a decision and can’t afford to be sentimental about.

I still don’t think this is as bad side as people are making out on here. Emotions are running high and it’s easy to get carried away when you have been thumped.

I can see us recruiting 2/3 players next year but I think for me it’s simple a coaching rejig for now. That right hand side should not play together again.

We have had a problem playing Saints for year but we really need last night to be a learning curve for everyone. We don’t need more ball handling props, we need someone who doesn’t want to pass but just make metres.

We need someone in the centre and wing position on the right who slides and wants to move up and put the pressure on.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 23 Mar 2019, 13:22

HuddsTigers wrote:Squads constantly evolve and the problem we have is that we have retained our squad - our 17 that made the Grand Final - who all demand higher money and market value.

The problem for us is that we have/had a lot of money tied up in fringe players and or injured players.

Roberts going helps us out big style and then people like Maher and Aston who will probably be on peanuts but still taking cap space really should be let go. We are top heavy in certain positions, back row as an example (Holmes, Jesse, Moors, McMeeken, Foster, Clarkson), which we really need to make a decision and can’t afford to be sentimental about.

I still don’t think this is as bad side as people are making out on here. Emotions are running high and it’s easy to get carried away when you have been thumped.

I can see us recruiting 2/3 players next year but I think for me it’s simple a coaching rejig for now. That right hand side should not play together again.

We have had a problem playing Saints for year but we really need last night to be a learning curve for everyone. We don’t need more ball handling props, we need someone who doesn’t want to pass but just make metres.

We need someone in the centre and wing position on the right who slides and wants to move up and put the pressure on.

Maher , Aston, Egodo, Ellis all need to be sent packing. Don't care about the large squad that's touted about. They never play. Get rid. Spend the cash on 1 player who will start week in week out.

If injuries hit let the kids play, then we will know if they are going to be good enough.

With 1 up and 1 down we would be very unlucky to finish bottom any time soon.

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 23 Mar 2019, 13:24

Aston isn't on peanuts - 50k apparently
Wasted money
Maher waste never going to be a SL player
Clare waste though on little
Milner over paid and very much under performing
Roberts (finally gone ) very poor value for money

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 23 Mar 2019, 13:30

ERG2012 wrote:Aston isn't on peanuts - 50k apparently
Wasted money
Maher waste never going to be a SL player
Clare waste though on little
Milner over paid and very much under performing
Roberts (finally gone ) very poor value for money
Aston isn't on peanuts - 50k apparently

if that is true he should be the first on the list to go. Somebody seriously needs to give there head a shake agreeing to pay him that.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 23 Mar 2019, 13:37

It’s interesting how the daggers are always out for someone like Clare who did nothing wrong when he came on but people are always very protectionist of our more expensive players.

Why is no one slagging off Eden, Holmes? Where was McShane last night? Jesse offers enthusiasm but what else did he do last night? Did Millington do much after two weeks off?

Perhaps we need to stop looking and blaming the so called “cheap” options and start putting some fault on our senior more expensive players who should be leading from the front and by example.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 23 Mar 2019, 13:39

No way are we short of ambition or small time club stuff we paid 150k for zak 100k for wattsy whatever it was for Pete and 60 odd k for Joe Wardle
No question there's been some mistakes in the recruitment - non recruitment in the last two years tho
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi