Ben Roberts

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
westerbeast
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Ben Roberts

Post by westerbeast » 21 Mar 2019, 08:33

gateman wrote:good luck to Benny and his family, great on his day but not enough games played he as done the club and himself a favour, moving on we all know we need a big strong centre the idea of signing Sandow then moving an half back to centre to accommodate him especially when we have Luke back next season for me is not the way to go
Rankin played centre on pleny of games for Hull FC, one of which he scored 3 tries against Cas down the lane.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 21 Mar 2019, 08:48

Jackson Hastings & a fee if you were asking my advice.
:D

Some amazing memories Benny. Feel sorry for him now but no room for that; as long as Club & player can hold their heads up high.
Audacter Et Sincere

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 21 Mar 2019, 09:05

Good luck Benny. Thanks for the memories.

Best wishes to you and the family.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 21 Mar 2019, 09:11

Sad that Benny leaves us in these circumstances. The boy could play that was obvious. On a whole, we've been pretty unlucky the last few years in the half back department. Not many teams have international half backs, we just couldn't get ours on the field together much.

Dazzyb
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dazzyb » 21 Mar 2019, 11:20

Wonder how much of the salary cap he has left with or if he’s moved to another club?

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 21 Mar 2019, 12:25

Dazzyb wrote:Wonder how much of the salary cap he has left with or if he’s moved to another club?
Maybe he’s done what James Evans did and left with immediate effect without being compensated.

bane73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by bane73 » 21 Mar 2019, 12:40

How bout a round of applause in the 6th minute on Friday to show our appreciation.
what doesn't kill me simply makes me...stranger.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 21 Mar 2019, 13:14

bane73 wrote:How bout a round of applause in the 6th minute on Friday to show our appreciation.
Appreciation of what? Less than 20 appearances per season, less if you take out his substitute appearances. Tell you what, why not get Ryan Clayton and Dwayne Barker to do a lap of honour at half time as well

StevieTheTV
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by StevieTheTV » 21 Mar 2019, 13:20

Fumper27 wrote:Appreciation of what? Less than 20 appearances per season, less if you take out his substitute appearances. Tell you what, why not get Ryan Clayton and Fwayne Barker to do a lap of honour at half time as well
For being an integral part of the best team Castleford have ever seen?

For THAT drop goal against Saints?

Now, im not saying we should applaud him in the 6th minute, infact i dont think we should. But dont put down his contributions to this club, he might have not played as much as he wanted but when he did, he had that something special.
Tigers for Life! Not just for SuperLeague!!

Tawera Nikau = Legend

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 21 Mar 2019, 13:25

Fumper27 wrote:
bane73 wrote:How bout a round of applause in the 6th minute on Friday to show our appreciation.
Appreciation of what? Less than 20 appearances per season, less if you take out his substitute appearances. Tell you what, why not get Ryan Clayton and Dwayne Barker to do a lap of honour at half time as well
:D spot on too mate
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 21 Mar 2019, 13:31

StevieTheTV wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:Appreciation of what? Less than 20 appearances per season, less if you take out his substitute appearances. Tell you what, why not get Ryan Clayton and Dwayne Barker to do a lap of honour at half time as well

Now, im not saying we should applaud him in the 6th minute, infact i dont think we should. But dont put down his contributions to this club, he might have not played as much as he wanted but when he did, he had that something special.
Integral part??? Not in my opinion. Also, where did I put down his contribution? I liked Ben Roberts WHEN HE PLAYED but that was too few and far between and his level of performance was infuriatingly inconsistent. It’s just a sign of where today’s society is when it’s even suggested that a minutes applause is held for a player with less than 80 appearances for the club.
Last edited by Fumper27 on 21 Mar 2019, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 21 Mar 2019, 13:36

Cheers Benny, some great moments but just not enough. Hope all bodes well for the future.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

princeka01
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by princeka01 » 21 Mar 2019, 14:07

Fumper27 wrote:
StevieTheTV wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:Appreciation of what? Less than 20 appearances per season, less if you take out his substitute appearances. Tell you what, why not get Ryan Clayton and Dwayne Barker to do a lap of honour at half time as well

Integral part??? Not in my opinion. Also, where did I put down his contribution? I liked Ben Roberts WHEN HE PLAYED but that was too few and far between and his level of performance was infuriatingly inconsistent. It’s just a sign of where today’s society is when it’s even suggested that a minutes applause is held for a player with less than 80 appearances for the club.

Haha! i have to agree the 78 appearances out of roughly 130 does not merit an applause... imo he was great on his day but lacked consistency ...2015/16 was the best we saw of Roberts... from then on i felt he offered very little hence why he was pushed out by chase ..trueman and ellis at times... i think in the season and a bit trueman has played he has offered more than roberts 4 years at cas.. i only really remember the drop goal ... game against leeds for benny being memorable

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 21 Mar 2019, 14:20

...and didn’t he play second fiddle to Flynn for most of his first season? I certainly won’t be participating in any minutes applause and to be honest I’m sick of these touchy feely gestures when I turn up to watch a match.

While we’re on the subject any idea what this weeks minutes silence will be for, I heard Fred Blogs’ dog was on deaths door but thankfully it pulled through so it can’t be that

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 21 Mar 2019, 14:21

Your rate what kind of society have we turned into ...
Vince Lombardi

StevieTheTV
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by StevieTheTV » 21 Mar 2019, 14:28

If people cannot see that Roberts was an integral part of the team in 2017 then i give up. Look at the stats.

I agree that it would of been nice if he had of played more, and Im sure Ben would say that as well, I also agree that we should not have a minutes applause for him. But to compare him to Ryan Clayton and Dwayne Barker is disrespectful, Ben probably achieved more in less appearances than two average (but hard working) players.
Tigers for Life! Not just for SuperLeague!!

Tawera Nikau = Legend

BigBez10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by BigBez10 » 21 Mar 2019, 14:50

alftupper wrote:...and didn’t he play second fiddle to Flynn for most of his first season? I certainly won’t be participating in any minutes applause and to be honest I’m sick of these touchy feely gestures when I turn up to watch a match.

While we’re on the subject any idea what this weeks minutes silence will be for, I heard Fred Blogs’ dog was on deaths door but thankfully it pulled through so it can’t be that
50 odd people being massacred not worthy of a minutes applause?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 21 Mar 2019, 14:52

Idont think anybody is questioning what Roberts had in his locker I can remember him running at full speed and at the same time putting in a kick for minikin to score in corner one of best trys I've seen in last few years
Just the ridiculous idea to give him a minutes applause
Vince Lombardi

Nu Shooze
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nu Shooze » 21 Mar 2019, 14:58

It’s been coming but a real shame. Without doubt one of the classiest players to pull on a tigers shirt for many a year.

the happy hooker9
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Doing Spins, Backdrops and kicks on the dance floor

Post by the happy hooker9 » 21 Mar 2019, 16:44

As one who has been critical of his non appearance over the last year, I have to hold my hand up and give the man a big rap for doing the honourable thing and deciding to quit.
When fit he was one of the keys to our success, sadly from our and his point of view this was few and far between games.
Remember one time he was running to the right (RE) and without slowing screwed a kick left which resulted in try, cup game at Hull (lost) but Benny was immense, and the one the most people remember the link with Gale for a brilliant of the cuff run-around.
thanks Benny all the best