Next .... Saints (H) Fri

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Next .... Saints (H) Fri

Post by SuffolkTiger » 17 Mar 2019, 21:15

Proper big gig this one.

They have started in solid fashion without hitting their straps yet and have to be favourites despite being on the road.

As stated in other threads, they will hammer our right side and further expose the existing wounds.

Only a herculean defensive effort combined with a bit of a Saints off day will give us a chance.

Having Millo back will help but I'm expecting a repeat of the Wire game with a similar result. I'd love to be wrong....

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Next .... Saints (H) Fri

Post by daytona » 17 Mar 2019, 21:57

Saints have without doubt been the best side so far, but they have also been pretty much full strength since round one. We’ve been disrupted with injuries and a notable suspension that certainly hasn’t helped our fluency in attack and defence. Just got a feeling next Friday could be our night. COYF!

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 17 Mar 2019, 22:06

Millo back should be good. Takes Moors off the starting role, which should help with impact from the bench. I’d bring Clare back in too for Minikin. Competition is key and both need to step up their game.

Matautia
Clare
Foster
Shenton
Eden
Trueman
Rankin
Watts
McShane
Millo
Jesse
Holmes
Massey

Milner
Cook
Moors
Clarkson
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 17 Mar 2019, 22:15

Rather play Egodo on wing. Didn't he score a hat trick against Hull?? Or somebody else at home. Can't remember who it was exactly. Could be a power winger like Bradford's old days if it goes well.

TiGR

Post by TiGR » 18 Mar 2019, 10:15

HuddsTigers wrote:I’d bring Clare back in too for Minikin.
+1
Know Clare's got his detractors on here, but I think matching him with someone other than Minikin at Centre is still worth a try.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 18 Mar 2019, 10:37

daytona wrote:Saints have without doubt been the best side so far, but they have also been pretty much full strength since round one. We’ve been disrupted with injuries and a notable suspension that certainly hasn’t helped our fluency in attack and defence. Just got a feeling next Friday could be our night. COYF!
what injury's has effected are centre or lack off one please.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 18 Mar 2019, 10:43

I definitely see us as a top 3 team come end of the season. However, this game Friday determines if we can mix it with the top 2 this year.

Burratha
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Burratha » 18 Mar 2019, 11:06

Interesting how Saints (again) seem to be avoiding injuries this year, whilst most other teams are having a bit of a rough time. They appeared to manage to survive more or less the whole of last season with only one major injury (Walmsley) - and won the LLS as a result - pretty much like we did the previous year.

I wonder if they''ll continue to ride their luck? Or will it (at last) be Warrington's year?

CasAttack
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasAttack » 18 Mar 2019, 13:16

Cas 22 - 28 Saints
Att 7,951

Think we will compete and it will be a tight one. Hoping for a win but just think Saints will have too much for us.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 18 Mar 2019, 13:27

Coote, Grace, Naiqama, Percival and Makinson is quite easily the best backline in SL - I would even go as far as saying that back line could compete against a couple of NRL teams.

But then you have their forward pack which is just as impressive. However, Roby, Fages and Lomax have been their best 3 players so far this year, stop them from getting the backs and forwards involved (easier said than done) and we may have a chance.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 18 Mar 2019, 13:33

home win can just hear powelly in presser "Thought are right hand side defending was something pretty special tonight"...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 18 Mar 2019, 13:48

flow wrote:
daytona wrote:Saints have without doubt been the best side so far, but they have also been pretty much full strength since round one. We’ve been disrupted with injuries and a notable suspension that certainly hasn’t helped our fluency in attack and defence. Just got a feeling next Friday could be our night. COYF!
what injury's has effected are centre or lack off one please.
Reminds me of story from the 60s about a US college that were desperate to give a scholarship to an outstanding youth American footballer who was destined for stardom.

In the interview that would decide whether he met the required academic levels the college secretary said " We are very keen for you to spend the next 3 years with us so all I'm going to do is ask you to spell one word and, as long as you get at least one letter correct, you're in. Spell coffee"

Young fella pauses and then slowly delivers the answer............ "k-a-w-p-h-i"

Secretary says "that's close enough for me - we've got a big game on Saturday"

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 18 Mar 2019, 13:58

Burratha wrote:Interesting how Saints (again) seem to be avoiding injuries this year, whilst most other teams are having a bit of a rough time. They appeared to manage to survive more or less the whole of last season with only one major injury (Walmsley) - and won the LLS as a result - pretty much like we did the previous year.

I wonder if they''ll continue to ride their luck? Or will it (at last) be Warrington's year?
Wouldn't it be great to field virtually the same team week in and out for 18 months. We'd be the best in the league bar none, if saints and wire had our injuries. Just bad luck, but good luck would see us injury free in September.. If we can just hold form till then.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 18 Mar 2019, 14:12

How about adz to 9, macca to 7, rankin to 1 and peanut to centre. Risk and reward, adz might cool his engines a bit, macca more time to set moves....

Hepworth7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Hepworth7 » 18 Mar 2019, 14:15

Burratha wrote:Interesting how Saints (again) seem to be avoiding injuries this year, whilst most other teams are having a bit of a rough time. They appeared to manage to survive more or less the whole of last season with only one major injury (Walmsley) - and won the LLS as a result - pretty much like we did the previous year.

I read a very interesting article on the Saints and their backroom staff and how they have individual training profiles for each player,monitoring and adjusting them to take into ccount a players strengths and weaknesses,so probably not coincidental that they are managing to improve individual physical performances and get players playing more minutes. Clearly the luck element applies to contact injuries during a game but the lack of the routine calf strains,hamstrings and muscle injuries would suggest they are also getting things very right from a conditioning point of view. Maybe lessons to be learnt there especially given the amount of injuries we seem to pick up in training.

Hepworth7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Hepworth7 » 18 Mar 2019, 14:17

mart0042 wrote:How about adz to 9, macca to 7, rankin to 1 and peanut to centre. Risk and reward, adz might cool his engines a bit, macca more time to set moves....
Not the worst idea I've ever heard!

Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mucky1978 » 18 Mar 2019, 14:19

Never understand people wanting to move Pete from FB the blokes been outstanding there since joining.

CasAttack
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasAttack » 18 Mar 2019, 14:41

It's a no from me! Pete has been v solid at 1 and moving Mcshane from 9 to 7 imo we lose the special-ness he gives us from 9.
I thought at Wire last week and in the first half yesterday Mcshane wasnt his usual self. His second half performance was very good though. It was good to see him run a bit more with ball in hand.

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 18 Mar 2019, 15:57

I think Saints have an outstanding team and every season they are challenging for honours,( or near enough) but, having watched two of their games on TV and being one of the crowd at Huddersfield, I have noticed that they are having a large proportion of Referees' decision go in their favour. No lover of the Rhinos', but I think they should have won that game apart from some bad calls by the officials, same again in first half at Huddersfield, although the Saints ran out worthy winners in the end. Just hope all calls are correct this Friday, ( not easy) but we have been undone by the officials against Saints in the past. If calls go against us Friday, it will be an even harder game to win. I don't blame any player for wrong calls, but there is a way to manipulate the Referees ( not bribery) to your way of giving a decision.
Last edited by fast hands on 18 Mar 2019, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 18 Mar 2019, 15:58

Its along time since we have had a full back that can catch a ball I would not even consider moving him round gone are the days when a team put in an high kick and I closed my eves expecting the worse