Scrums

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
flood light tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Scrums

Post by flood light tiger » 17 Mar 2019, 19:55

Can somebody explain when a scrum as formed and the players split off and reform with different players as I understood the same players were supposed to stay in position once scrum is formed or as this changed

Keithy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Scrums

Post by Keithy » 17 Mar 2019, 20:28

We have scrums!!

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 17 Mar 2019, 20:34

That's never been a rule? Or one that hasn't been enforced for decades if it is...

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 17 Mar 2019, 20:35

NRL use that rule not Supet League
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 17 Mar 2019, 21:06

I thought that was brought in this season so that SL was in line with the NRL???

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 18 Mar 2019, 13:30

I thought it was the rule last season but has been replaced by the scrum clock. Could be wrong like..?
Spreading the Cas gene pool

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 18 Mar 2019, 21:36

bring back the old type scrums when the ball was contested what a joke scrums are today, players getting down and the ball put into the second row

Squaddie86
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Squaddie86 » 18 Mar 2019, 22:03

gateman wrote:bring back the old type scrums when the ball was contested what a joke scrums are today, players getting down and the ball put into the second row

Union has contested scrums.

By which I mean it has a series of scrum collapses and resets followed by an arbitrary penalty, taking about 5 minutes which could've been spent playing rugby.

I like union, and I like contested scrums in theory, I'm just saying that it wouldn't automatically make the game of Rugby League better to have contested scrums.

sparky49
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by sparky49 » 19 Mar 2019, 01:01

According to the laws/rules of the game every scrum is illegal as the ball has to clear the scrum before it can be picked up, so how come the loose forward is always the man to pick the ball up. The scrum half may just as well hand him the ball to save him bending his back.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 19 Mar 2019, 08:45

a lot of our younger fans have never seen a scrum were the hooker actually strikes for the ball, I would suggest they have a look at some of our 70/80s games when the likes of Clive Dickinson and Jonny Ward were playing you needed a good hooker to strike for the ball and a good scrum half to feed it, today our hookers are by name only and are an extra half back

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 19 Mar 2019, 09:13

gateman wrote:a lot of our younger fans have never seen a scrum were the hooker actually strikes for the ball, I would suggest they have a look at some of our 70/80s games when the likes of Clive Dickinson and Jonny Ward were playing you needed a good hooker to strike for the ball and a good scrum half to feed it, today our hookers are by name only and are an extra half back
Who'd have thought in them days 40 years down line full-back both centres and stand off would form in scrum
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 19 Mar 2019, 10:16

tigerfeat wrote:
gateman wrote:a lot of our younger fans have never seen a scrum were the hooker actually strikes for the ball, I would suggest they have a look at some of our 70/80s games when the likes of Clive Dickinson and Jonny Ward were playing you needed a good hooker to strike for the ball and a good scrum half to feed it, today our hookers are by name only and are an extra half back
Who'd have thought in them days 40 years down line full-back both centres and stand off would form in scrum
Dennis would have loved that. I recall Elliot from HKR burrowing in the scrum and flying out horizontally. Took 'em ages to bring him round.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 19 Mar 2019, 10:35

Aye took a brave bloke to pack down in them days ...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 19 Mar 2019, 10:54

gateman wrote:bring back the old type scrums when the ball was contested what a joke scrums are today, players getting down and the ball put into the second row
No way man we get penalised enough imagine how many times we would get done for feeding against likes off wigan leeds saints lol. was impossible to referee main reason they stopped it .

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 19 Mar 2019, 11:02

Hated the old scrums, was a right melee, at least we know who will get the ball, whoever is putting it in. Might be one against the head now and again, which makes it special.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 19 Mar 2019, 11:23

old cas lass wrote:Hated the old scrums, was a right melee, at least we know who will get the ball, whoever is putting it in. Might be one against the head now and again, which makes it special.
I agree. Watch the old games and the scrums were pot luck and a mess. Hookers virtually lay down, sometimes the ball couldn't find a way in.

Hepworth7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Hepworth7 » 19 Mar 2019, 21:24

Let's face it,the scrums now are a joke,not contested, a heel against the head unheard off and the ball is put into the second row. Tactically they allow you to put whoever the hell you want in there so you can run set plays,useful but not scrummaging in any sense. They're simply a nod to the origins of the game and as much symbolic as owt else. Far from being a mess,scrums were an art form,populated by hard but skilfull men who would contort their bodies to win ball back while the opposition knocked seven bells out of you. Hookers like Clive Dickinson and Flash Flanagan were legendary and in the days before six tackles could win games by dominating possession,before I sound too misty eyed and nostalgic,I wouldn't want to go back to those days,the game has moved on,it's faster,more skilful and more entertaining for it. While always being a fan of Dickinson you couldn't in all honesty compare his skill level to a Mcshane or dare I say it Roby,but their roles are different neither would have prospered in the others generation,it's like comparing chalk to cheese. Never saw Dicko putting a deft kick through for someone to run on to,not sure Mcshane has ever hooked a ball in his life. Two players operating in different world's but still Cas legends in their own right.But only one of them could be called a hooker,the other has redefined the position.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 19 Mar 2019, 21:33

Hepworth7 wrote:Let's face it,the scrums now are a joke,not contested, a heel against the head unheard off and the ball is put into the second row. Tactically they allow you to put whoever the hell you want in there so you can run set plays,useful but not scrummaging in any sense. They're simply a nod to the origins of the game and as much symbolic as owt else. Far from being a mess,scrums were an art form,populated by hard but skilfull men who would contort their bodies to win ball back while the opposition knocked seven bells out of you. Hookers like Clive Dickinson and Flash Flanagan were legendary and in the days before six tackles could win games by dominating possession,before I sound too misty eyed and nostalgic,I wouldn't want to go back to those days,the game has moved on,it's faster,more skilful and more entertaining for it. While always being a fan of Dickinson you couldn't in all honesty compare his skill level to a Mcshane or dare I say it Roby,but their roles are different neither would have prospered in the others generation,it's like comparing chalk to cheese. Never saw Dicko putting a deft kick through for someone to run on to,not sure Mcshane has ever hooked a ball in his life. Two players operating in different world's but still Cas legends in their own right.But only one of them could be called a hooker,the other has redefined the position.
Spot on there mate, it looks like you and I have been watching Cas for same number of years, and I suppose like me are still getting the buzz on match days long may it continue

43s flyer
League One Player
League One Player

Post by 43s flyer » 19 Mar 2019, 21:44

gateman wrote:
Hepworth7 wrote:Let's face it,the scrums now are a joke,not contested, a heel against the head unheard off and the ball is put into the second row. Tactically they allow you to put whoever the hell you want in there so you can run set plays,useful but not scrummaging in any sense. They're simply a nod to the origins of the game and as much symbolic as owt else. Far from being a mess,scrums were an art form,populated by hard but skilfull men who would contort their bodies to win ball back while the opposition knocked seven bells out of you. Hookers like Clive Dickinson and Flash Flanagan were legendary and in the days before six tackles could win games by dominating possession,before I sound too misty eyed and nostalgic,I wouldn't want to go back to those days,the game has moved on,it's faster,more skilful and more entertaining for it. While always being a fan of Dickinson you couldn't in all honesty compare his skill level to a Mcshane or dare I say it Roby,but their roles are different neither would have prospered in the others generation,it's like comparing chalk to cheese. Never saw Dicko putting a deft kick through for someone to run on to,not sure Mcshane has ever hooked a ball in his life. Two players operating in different world's but still Cas legends in their own right.But only one of them could be called a hooker,the other has redefined the position.
Spot on there mate, it looks like you and I have been watching Cas for same number of years, and I suppose like me are still getting the buzz on match days long may it continue
I remember playing in a pre season trial Fryston U17s vs Cas U17s my first time as hooker, my coach told me take out their hooker (Gary Heatherington) i duly obliged. Next scrum my second row said he was going to put one on the next hooker, Cas had same idea I got hit by the both of them, teeth through bottom and top lip(no gumshields) back then. Had to sup me ale from just one side, the good old days :dance:

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 20 Mar 2019, 13:29

Whilst I appreciate your view that scrums are a "joke", you have explained very well why they have changed and the result is a more open and faster game.

These days, the scrum is merely a way of restarting the game whilst giving priority to the team who didn't carry out the infringement. It means the ball is in and out very quickly to the attacking team whilst giving them a little more space to work with. Very little chance of the game being stopped for re-starts or indeed penalties (we call it Yawnion for a reason!).

It may not be the biff but I'd say it's a different kind of entertainment.
Spreading the Cas gene pool