Massey

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Massey

Post by flow » 13 Mar 2019, 00:52

the machine wrote:Milner? Westerman? Vowles?
ye but were they out and out attacking loose forwards, milner was a hooker would probably still be hooker if not for McShane . Vowles was loose forward back end off is career was mainly centre not a natural loose forward but always gave 100% were ever he played. I will give you westerman short time we had him and promise to be a great player for us but wanted more money. ian French 1986 final and nikau were proper loose forwards big and fast with great ball skills, very few between these days world class loose forwards. massey definitely deservers a new two year contract reminds me a bit off how beefy England used to play direct nothing spectacular but you need few guys who going to do the hard yards , one off the biggest improvers this year for me.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 13 Mar 2019, 01:13

flow wrote:
the machine wrote:Milner? Westerman? Vowles?
ye but were they out and out attacking loose forwards, milner was a hooker would probably still be hooker if not for McShane . Vowles was loose forward back end off is career was mainly centre not a natural loose forward but always gave 100% were ever he played. I will give you westerman short time we had him and promise to be a great player for us but wanted more money. ian French 1986 final and nikau were proper loose forwards big and fast with great ball skills, very few between these days world class loose forwards. massey definitely deservers a new two year contract reminds me a bit off how beefy England used to play direct nothing spectacular but you need few guys who going to do the hard yards , one off the biggest improvers this year for me.
A positive post :clap:

And fully agree re. Massey, he's put in the hard work and been rewarded, always a key selection of Powells 17
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 13 Mar 2019, 01:38

Very happy with this. Massey is the type of player every team needs, a workhorse who knkws his role and does it very well. He’ll never be a superstar but he’s a 100%-er who will be far from the biggest earner but one of the highest value for money players in the squad.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 13 Mar 2019, 07:30

flow wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:
Casmoley wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:My question would be how many of the top teams would Nathan get in? Whilst I appreciate what he brings to the side, I think 2 years is generous.

Lama Tasi started 13 for Warrington. He's better than Lama Tasi.
Isn’t BMM the regular 13 for Wire?[/quo
who was last proper loose forward cas had, cant think off any body after nikau

he's the regular impact on the right edge off the bench.

Squaddie86
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Squaddie86 » 13 Mar 2019, 08:07

Fumper27 wrote:My question would be how many of the top teams would Nathan get in?.

Thankfully none, because he plays for us.

If you're asking who else would pick him if he was in their squad - probably most teams.

He's an inexpensive, highly reliable forward who always does exactly what the coach asks of him to a good standard. In a salary capped sport such players are absolute gold, allowing big money to go on flashier players.

There's plenty of players of Masseys calibre(and a few who are worse) demanding higher salaries in this league.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 13 Mar 2019, 09:21

A coaches favourite player does exactly what hes asked to do, not always noticed by the fans.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

StevieTheTV
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by StevieTheTV » 13 Mar 2019, 09:22

Fumper27 wrote:My question would be how many of the top teams would Nathan get in?
The answer to that is every team (apart from Saints).

Great player who does all the little things nigh on perfect every game. Vastly improved under DP.

Well worth 2 years.
Tigers for Life! Not just for SuperLeague!!

Tawera Nikau = Legend

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 13 Mar 2019, 10:29

Love all the positivity about Nat. If most posters on here had had their way last year, he'd be gone right now!

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 13 Mar 2019, 10:48

Great news for mass. Solid player

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 13 Mar 2019, 10:48

cogito ergo sum wrote:Love all the positivity about Nat. If most posters on here had had their way last year, he'd be gone right now!
think that's why most people have said he is most improved, people do get better and prove people wrong some times why the little digs at posters on here you looking for a reaction lol. :-" :-"

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 13 Mar 2019, 11:02

flow wrote:
cogito ergo sum wrote:Love all the positivity about Nat. If most posters on here had had their way last year, he'd be gone right now!
think that's why most people have said he is most improved, people do get better and prove people wrong some times why the little digs at posters on here you looking for a reaction lol. :-" :-"
Got one...

Making the point Flow (which is the function of a forum) that there are two possibilities here, either Nat has suddenly improved out of sight after 14 years at the club or many posters don't have much idea about what they watch every week. I was one standing up for Nat during the "Nat bashing" period, so am obviously delighted for him.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 13 Mar 2019, 11:20

He as played his best rugby over the last twelve months I think that's down to the competion for places in the forwards you have to raise your game to get a starting jumper in our forwards
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

baldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by baldtiger » 13 Mar 2019, 11:21

Great news solid workhorse of a player , well done to him and the club :dance:

Fryston Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Fryston Tiger » 13 Mar 2019, 12:06

flow wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:
Casmoley wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:My question would be how many of the top teams would Nathan get in? Whilst I appreciate what he brings to the side, I think 2 years is generous.

Lama Tasi started 13 for Warrington. He's better than Lama Tasi.
Isn’t BMM the regular 13 for Wire?[/quo
who was last proper loose forward cas had, cant think off any body after nikau
Depends what era your thinking about.....Adrian Vowles?

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 13 Mar 2019, 13:25

When you take account of the fact some regard O'Laughlin as a ball handling loose you can quickly see the role of the 13 has changed in recent years. Players with the skills of 'T' are not often put at the back of the pack these days......sadly.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

westyorkylad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westyorkylad » 13 Mar 2019, 13:28

Echoing many of the sentiments on here in that NM is a good solid performer and an excellent squad forward, does many of the little things right that add up to a good team performance.

Personally I have rated the guy for a number of years now, you cannot have a pack made up of Ben Murdoch Masselas all making line breaks every two minutes in a salary capped sport, you need good quality squad forwards and NM fits the bill perfectly.

I also think he has another very useful quality that is often overlooked, durability, he doesn't miss many games a year and that is a big plus from a coaches point of view.......

Well done NM much deserved and I look forward to watching you play for the Tigers for another two years :clap:

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 13 Mar 2019, 13:55

Good to see Mass staying and with all this goodwill towards him maybe it is about time he was rewarded for his years of loyalty with a much deserved Testimonial season.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 13 Mar 2019, 14:02

cogito ergo sum wrote:
flow wrote:
Got one...

Making the point Flow (which is the function of a forum) that there are two possibilities here, either Nat has suddenly improved out of sight after 14 years at the club or many posters don't have much idea about what they watch every week. I was one standing up for Nat during the "Nat bashing" period, so am obviously delighted for him.
I was another one standing up for Massey, he’s always done what DP has asked him to do. Going back to our fantastic season of 2017, he played a very big part in getting the ball played from where the playmakers wanted it. Gale told him where he needed the next play the ball, Massey made sure it happened for him. Simple, but very effective in what he does is Nathan. There are not many as good as him at finding his front and getting a quick PTB, you dont often see him put on his back. You dont have to break tackles every carry or go the length of the field to be an integral part of how the team operates. Keep up the good work Massey lad.

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 13 Mar 2019, 16:07

Vastly improved over the last couple of years (as I suppose most props do). I'll hold my hand up and say I wasn't overly impressed with him a few years ago, but now, he just does all that is asked / required of him. Well deserved.

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 13 Mar 2019, 17:56

Glad we have Massey secured for another couple of years. By my reconning we have the followed not signed beyond this season:-

Minikin
Cook
Roberts
Clark
Maher
Ashton
Egodo
Gill
Rankin
Clarkson