1st up Les Catalans

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: 1st up Les Catalans

Post by gateman » 04 Feb 2019, 13:24

SREGITSAC wrote:I’d rather a strong squad than a team of 17 superstars that leaves us up shi creak when the inevitable injuries start to creep in. Not sure if that I means I wear hipster sunglasses?
I am with you on that one Mate

Danny Boy
Verified

Post by Danny Boy » 04 Feb 2019, 13:27

Maybe I’m rose tinted, but have to say I’m happy with the way our backs performed. As a club, we’re not awash with cash, but I trust DP to make the most of what resources he has at his disposal!
Danny Boy

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 04 Feb 2019, 14:34

cogito ergo sum wrote:
flow wrote:
mart0042 wrote:I couldn't find a weak link in the side on Friday. How people can moan is beyond me, but it does show where there loyalties lie.

Catalans left edge of Smith, Edwards, Williame and Tierney is there first team that scored the true last year, minus Smith add Drinkwater. Against our replacement second row, a believed weakness in clare and minikin.

They only scored when piggy backed down field on dubious calls.

Catalans will be no pushover this year and we just did a number on them.

Great game, great crowd, especially with the temperature.
because some people don't wear tinted glasses and debate how we can improve are very good team just need a few more editions to proper challenge for top prize you question there loyalties mmmmmmm very strange comment
Everyone who debates your comments flow wears tinted glasses, so through mine I see a salary capped sport where costs have to be balanced and prioritised. Every team in the league can improve the squad with uncontrolled spending, but every team has journeymen in some positions.
Don't see many journeymen in the Wolves or Saints sides and they manage to have good strength in depth all achieved with the same SC as Cas and our squad in terms of experience is not as deep as it as been over the last few seasons.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 04 Feb 2019, 14:49

First game of the season and a win against a side that many people are predicting a good season for. Almost kept a clean sheet too. Catalans ran big and strong but couldn’t get through our defence. For me the defence was why we won.

I couldn’t really fault anyone’s effort on Friday and we will improve as the season goes on. We will play better sides but we will be better than we were of Friday.

We even had a poor referee in charge yet we still defended outstanding. Does anyone know what the penalty count was?

Take it for what it was, a solid performance, a good win and a dec it crowd considering who we played. Happy with what I saw.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 04 Feb 2019, 15:18

Sharlotiger wrote:
cogito ergo sum wrote:
flow wrote:
mart0042 wrote:I couldn't find a weak link in the side on Friday. How people can moan is beyond me, but it does show where there loyalties lie.

Catalans left edge of Smith, Edwards, Williame and Tierney is there first team that scored the true last year, minus Smith add Drinkwater. Against our replacement second row, a believed weakness in clare and minikin.

because some people don't wear tinted glasses and debate how we can improve are very good team just need a few more editions to proper challenge for top prize you question there loyalties mmmmmmm very strange comment
Everyone who debates your comments flow wears tinted glasses, so through mine I see a salary capped sport where costs have to be balanced and prioritised. Every team in the league can improve the squad with uncontrolled spending, but every team has journeymen in some positions.
Don't see many journeymen in the Wolves or Saints sides and they manage to have good strength in depth all achieved with the same SC as Cas and our squad in terms of experience is not as deep as it as been over the last few seasons.
They both use the marquee rule to its fullest...

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 04 Feb 2019, 15:57

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:First game of the season and a win against a side that many people are predicting a good season for. Almost kept a clean sheet too. Catalans ran big and strong but couldn’t get through our defence. For me the defence was why we won.

I couldn’t really fault anyone’s effort on Friday and we will improve as the season goes on. We will play better sides but we will be better than we were of Friday.

We even had a poor referee in charge yet we still defended outstanding. Does anyone know what the penalty count was?

Take it for what it was, a solid performance, a good win and a dec it crowd considering who we played. Happy with what I saw.
9 for cas 11 for catalan according to league express
jo brand is eddie warings love child

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 04 Feb 2019, 16:14

Pretty sure Clare was a regular in the CC squad of 2014 so not all that weak. He’s more of a Dixon type winger than an Eden. Will take the high lobbed kicks and use some nimble footwork to get it down. Plays the percentages rather than burning players around the outside.
It’s a squad game and without losing a high earner and Clare I doubt we’d get a better compliment to the team in on the same money.

That being said, maybe if he hadn’t have shot the line they may never have scored. Who knows!

Long live the Tigers!!!

SREGITSAC
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SREGITSAC » 04 Feb 2019, 16:35

Fumper27 wrote:
Sharlotiger wrote:
cogito ergo sum wrote:
flow wrote:

They both use the marquee rule to its fullest...
This... the use of marquee rule could result in them spending a further £400k for all we know!

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 04 Feb 2019, 16:38

Sharlotiger wrote:
cogito ergo sum wrote:
flow wrote:

Looking at the Wire team on Saturday, how many and which ones would you have replacing Cas players from Friday. I would call Lineham, Patten, Hughes, Westwood journeymen.

heppy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by heppy » 04 Feb 2019, 16:39

Yes Clare does have his pluses.good on the high ball both in attack and defence.Can his pace be improved on at his age?

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 04 Feb 2019, 16:40

And a journeyman is defined as someone who is reliable without being outstanding.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 04 Feb 2019, 17:01

heppy wrote:Yes Clare does have his pluses.good on the high ball both in attack and defence.Can his pace be improved on at his age?
Wouldn't of thought so. Although he was very quick at amateur level.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 04 Feb 2019, 17:34

cogito ergo sum wrote:And a journeyman is defined as someone who is reliable without being outstanding.
I thought a journeyman was someone who had been at lots of clubs but never really settled at any.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

takethetwo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by takethetwo » 04 Feb 2019, 17:42

jackknife wrote:
cogito ergo sum wrote:And a journeyman is defined as someone who is reliable without being outstanding.
I thought a journeyman was someone who had been at lots of clubs but never really settled at any.
That's what I thought lol. Could hardly call Westwood one of that's the case :lol:

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 04 Feb 2019, 18:29

jackknife wrote:
Me too. I think they’re confusing a journeyman with a squad player

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 04 Feb 2019, 22:14

Fumper27 wrote:
jackknife wrote:
Me too. I think they’re confusing a journeyman with a squad player
I think you would class Westwood as a stalwart

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 05 Feb 2019, 10:43

flow wrote:

Interesting your posts on this matter are negative rather than positive or ambivalent. Interesting you picked up on my post as being rose tinted rather than an opinion of what I saw on the field.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 05 Feb 2019, 10:58

Is a tough choice whether to go for a great 17 and then under 23s or a squad. Both cost about the same.

Hull have a good 17 but nothing else, saints similar. Injuries make the big difference.

Last year we had the injuries but still got 3rd. There's a lot of luck involved, interestingly, our warm up has changed as it involves a lot of sprinting and twisting. We were out for ages on Friday.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 05 Feb 2019, 11:07

Yeah I noticed that stayed out till nearly kick off ..backs and macca where out nearly 45 mins
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by mart0042 » 05 Feb 2019, 11:09

tigerfeat wrote:Yeah I noticed that stayed out till nearly kick off ..backs and macca where out nearly 45 mins
They looked shattered by the end but then put in a right shift to beat them.