Future of the forum

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Matt
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @invmatt

Future of the forum

Post by Matt » 16 Jan 2019, 13:36

When the forum launched over 13 years ago the internet was a little different. Bulletin boards were common and social media was very much in its infancy. Since then we've seen old members leave and new members come and we've kept the forum in pretty much the same state since 2011 with very minor tweaks here and there.

This has lead to a number of problems that'll need to be resolved over the next year, all of which will take considerable time and effort to complete which leads to the question of what's the future of the site?

While the forum is still fairly active numbers have fallen and it's now at a point where decisions need to be made. At the moment advertising still covers the monthly operating costs and until this is no longer the case the site will operate in some way or another however the other issues fall down to security - one being the forum software we use needs to be moved on to the latest version (which would mean the theme wouldn't work anymore) and the second being the servers operating system is only supported until 2020, at that point large modifications would need to be made to shift the site.

This is an open thread for members to give their say, do you still believe the site offers something in this day and age where social media is more prominent or should we look at winding the forum down?

Finally my time is limited these days and our mod/admin numbers are low. The other alternative I'd be willing to consider is handing over the site to another user (with some conditions which I'd go over privately if a serious offer was made).
For website related issues or queries please contact the admin account as I no longer own or maintain Casforum.

thedogvinnie
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Future of the forum

Post by thedogvinnie » 16 Jan 2019, 20:17

looks like its run its course to me, its lost most of the informed members and is now just a mouthpiece for the naysayers and of course a platform for the self promoting Robbo

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 16 Jan 2019, 21:21

Must admit I'm taking a break. I can discuss rugby with most people but too many posters have hidden agendas. I actually believe those few posters and a certain Facebook page is damaging the club and ruining what in general is a well run club.

For the genuine supporters enjoy the roller coaster and continue to support the club in the greatest game of all our teams. For the time being ill continue to read without posting.

sirocco7
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by sirocco7 » 16 Jan 2019, 22:29

Unfortunately this forum isn’t the place it once was.... I think it’s time to go . I founded on of the original forums back in 2000 under the name classycas.com we then moved onto the rlfans platform and re branded ourselves AyberSpace after we merged with the Aye of the Tigers fanzine. My point being back in the day the forums were a genuinely friendly place where we could meet fellow fans.. This forum doesn’t have that feeling and it’s a real shame .

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 16 Jan 2019, 22:38

Will be a sad day if it closes down.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 16 Jan 2019, 22:59

As someone who has been active but who has also recently decided to take a break, I thought I’d add my voice. Firstly, I think the forum plays a vital role in open discussions with likeminded and passionate people who care about the club. There are a lot of good people on here and I sincerely hope a minority don’t ruin it for the rest (I include myself in this).

Personally speaking I would hate to see it shut down because conversation is vital to develop ideas, for the club to see a prism of feeling of their fanbase, and it still holds a vital role in the fans being able to work together to better the club in any way we can. We have seen other sites maintain and run forums so it does have its place still even with social media.

There’s nothing wrong with opposing views as long as it is done in a constructive way and I do believe there are a few who don’t always deliver constructively or in a fair way. That’s their right but I do think through this forum it does portray a bad image of the club, usually which is completely defenceless and cannot respond to a myriad of rumours, speculation and one-sides agendas for various reasons including confidentiality, legality and commercial sensitivities. That’s the down side.

I believe the forum should continue exist while it is financially viable with strong, neutral and impartial moderators who won’t favour the club or won’t leave things that undermine the club. But I don’t believe that a small proportion of people should spoil it for the rest when so many use it to get a sniff of news from the club, and particularly shall we say the older demographics who don’t get social media.

I still read the forum and there are people who keep in touch and I think that’s a good thing. People make friends through forums. We cannot lose that for me.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Davc1h

Post by Davc1h » 17 Jan 2019, 08:52

As a relative newcomer to the forum, around 18 months, it would be a pity to see it close down.

I come on most days for a read, do not post a lot, and I do find that there is good information in amongst all the dross.

One thing I would say though, in the last month/six weeks there have been some posters come on that clearly have an agenda and take every opportunity to slag the club off no matter what the news has been. Perhaps if the mods could weedle these idiots out, not hard to do, it could get back to what it was.

Just my opinion of course.

Brainyfrainy

Post by Brainyfrainy » 17 Jan 2019, 11:08

The thing is with this forum if your opinion is against the majority you get shot down and abused. If this was to stop I’m sure you would see an up turn in visitors and users !!

Not everyone with a differing opinion has an agenda they have come on to share their opinion on whatever the topic maybe.

casjunction
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by casjunction » 17 Jan 2019, 11:25

The forum provides me with information albeit sometimes misinformation,
Some of the humour is Razor Sharp .
I do find the abuse,name calling and threats both unnecessary and childish.
Yes there are some who chose to use it as an avenue to have a pop at the club at almost every opportunity.
Others like myself are the tinted specs variety.
I don't concern myself if other supporters join the forum.
Jin ger provides an alternative perspective.
Through these pages l managed to give away a spare ticket ,
Introduce a new supporter to the club.
Not living in Castleford l feel a little more involved and am sure this is even more the case for those far flung and overseas fans.
If it is to cease l would like to register my thanks and appreciation to the admin ,moderators and all those who help provide this platform.
But just in Cas here's to a prosperous NEW YEAR for the club,it's supporters and all contributors.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 17 Jan 2019, 12:25

in reply to your question matt does this site still offer something ...it offers a lot if it ever went people would then understand how much my son lives in kent and its the first place he looks to see whats going on and im sure thats the case with a whole lot of people who dont live in cas
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

JSLisnotaprop
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JSLisnotaprop » 17 Jan 2019, 14:42

Been a member the past 3/4weeks and so far I’ve been called bitter, a troll and a pole cat. Not a bad average of one insult a week aye?

I’ve witnessed people having to answer questions to prove they’re fans and most recently someone call someone’s mother out!

This is all because people share different opinions, the reason I signed up as I felt I needed to share my opinion.
An opinion that is similar to a few others who were getting shut down.

Quite frankly I’ve learnt very quickly there’s a [REMOVED] poor attitude against some posters on this forum, if you don’t agree with the majority you’re shot down and shut down.

The forum admin can obviously see this and for them not to act against this shows to me which direction this forum is going...

JSLisnotaprop
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JSLisnotaprop » 17 Jan 2019, 14:43

braytontiger wrote:Must admit I'm taking a break. I can discuss rugby with most people but too many posters have hidden agendas. I actually believe those few posters and a certain Facebook page is damaging the club and ruining what in general is a well run club.

For the genuine supporters enjoy the roller coaster and continue to support the club in the greatest game of all our teams. For the time being ill continue to read without posting.

What page is this Brayton? I follow several pages I’m interested to know what page you think has it’s own agenda and damaging the club

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 17 Jan 2019, 14:56

JSLisnotaprop wrote:
braytontiger wrote:Must admit I'm taking a break. I can discuss rugby with most people but too many posters have hidden agendas. I actually believe those few posters and a certain Facebook page is damaging the club and ruining what in general is a well run club.

What page is this Brayton? I follow several pages I’m interested to know what page you think has it’s own agenda and damaging the club
A user name on here and a name on there links it....
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

BigBez10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by BigBez10 » 17 Jan 2019, 14:58

I have disagreed multiple times with multiple users and it's never resorted to insults or name calling... I think the way people present their opinions is the problem personally but that's the same in life I suppose.

I'd be disappointed if the forum was to be shut down, as Davc1h mentioned there is useful information to be found amongst the pettiness. I know there's many people who visit the forum but aren't registered users so I do believe it is a useful tool for fans to find out the latest rumours, team news and debate all things cas.

Brainyfrainy

Post by Brainyfrainy » 17 Jan 2019, 15:29

the machine wrote:
JSLisnotaprop wrote:

A user name on here and a name on there links it....
What gets wetter as it dries ?

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 17 Jan 2019, 15:50

i would miss the forum greatly as i look in several times each day & living in york this forum is the only place where i can find what i call inside info on our club.
its annoying to read forum threads highjacked with bitterness & stray off topic but thats the way forums can go, thankfully this forum is not all like that.
i would also say a big thank you to Matt & the mods for trying to run it as i know its not easy being a moderator myself on a forum that was absolute murder at times, thankfully peace has broken out for now?

i hope it continues & that Matt can find the resources & time to keep it going.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 17 Jan 2019, 16:20

Even though I live a lot closer to Cas now than I have done for many years, this forum is important for me to catch up on whats going on. Sometimes the info is bang on, sometimes it's miles off, but it gives a good link to keep in touch. I'm not a user of social media and don't plan on being either. We've all had little disagreements on here at some point, but it has never escalated into anything, just different people sharing opinions. Over the last couple of months things have changed and a lot of newcomers have come on here, seemingly, just looking for trouble or to have a pop at someone/the club. I read all of the stupidity, but don't get drawn into commenting as its not how it should be around here.I have no clue why. I really hope that the forum carries on, but starts to get back to how it used to be and not what it is starting to become.

Davc1h

Post by Davc1h » 17 Jan 2019, 16:25

Nail on the head Derbystiger.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 17 Jan 2019, 17:26

If regular posters stop coming on and numbers go down so helping to put the future of the forum in doubt the people who have signed up to spread doom and gloom will be laughing out loud and will increase there posting ...such is life
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 18 Jan 2019, 12:12

I'm still supportive of this forum, it's a great place for non local people to find out goings on and info about our club. There is nothing else close.

The naysayers and doom mongerers, make it a pretty depressing place at times. It's driving away the people that have something valuable to contribute, none less than huddstiger and keeping us up to date with the new ground.

I've been watching and reading from the wings and hoping it'll change come the season start.

Cas are in the best positron we've been in since I've been watching, which is 40 years. It's great to be a Cas fan.