Salary cap relief

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
steadygetyerboots-on
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Salary cap relief

Post by steadygetyerboots-on » 12 Jan 2019, 14:29

I think a lot of people are confusing what they think the rules/laws around the salary cap should be & what they actually are. Salary cap relief is an option available to every team in SL, providing certain conditions are met. Cas are not getting any kind of preferential treatment; we are merely making use of an obscure/rarely used option.
I liken it to the salary cap itself. A great number of people believe the salary cap is a fixed number that cannot be broken. However, there are exemptions/dispensations such as the club trained player, player welfare, returning talent, international status, educational needs, new talent & marquee status. All of this dispensations can be used by any club, but aren’t. Equally; use of these exemptions will take a club over the “salary cap”; are they cheating? No; they are taking advantage of options available to every club should they wish to pursue them. This exemption Cas are utilising is no different.
"Stand by me as I stand by you, be brave and dare to dream".

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 12 Jan 2019, 14:51

Keithy wrote:Just thought that I'd like to say that personally I don't agree with any form of salary cap relief. All clubs agreed to a salary cap and form their squads up to that amount or the amount that they have to allocate to players wages.

We all know that injuries form part of our game and Gale's injury is no different to any other that Cas or any other side has had or are now dealing with. This is why we have a squad of players, some young and some with experience who the coach decides will cover said injury.

Should Cas decide at some point to utilise this salary cap relief then it only smacks in the face of those squad players waiting for their opportunity to shine in the 1st team. Just to say in my mind it is totally wrong.
The club aren’t diving in and using the dispensation immediately so that implies that those squad players will get their chance early in the season. It is up to them to take their chance.

In the longer term though why shouldn’t we have the dispensation? It has been in the rules since 2016 and I’m pretty sure it’s been used by other clubs in the past. Why should we place ourselves at another disadvantage? We are already at one by the fact that we don’t utilise the marquee player rule which, in my view, is more unfair than giving dispensation to a player ruled out for the season before the competition has started.

If we want to be competitive we have to take advantage of the rules as much as we can.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 12 Jan 2019, 15:15

Im told wigan did it with manfradi other year
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Tigerade
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Tigerade » 12 Jan 2019, 15:20

jackknife wrote:Im told wigan did it with manfradi other year
Yes they did. I have heard of a few examples.

Ben Harrison - Warrington (injury)
Ben Currie - Warrington (injury)
Don Manfredi - Wigan (injury)
Michael Dobson - Hull KR (quota spot)
James Sagayaro - Leeds (disciplinary)

Keithy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Keithy » 12 Jan 2019, 18:39

Mysterio wrote:
Keithy wrote:Just thought that I'd like to say that personally I don't agree with any form of salary cap relief. All clubs agreed to a salary cap and form their squads up to that amount or the amount that they have to allocate to players wages.

We all know that injuries form part of our game and Gale's injury is no different to any other that Cas or any other side has had or are now dealing with. This is why we have a squad of players, some young and some with experience who the coach decides will cover said injury.

Should Cas decide at some point to utilise this salary cap relief then it only smacks in the face of those squad players waiting for their opportunity to shine in the 1st team. Just to say in my mind it is totally wrong.
Thank god you’re not in charge of the wage budget.
Care to expand? As I said I don't agree with the rule that's in place.

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 12 Jan 2019, 19:06

End of day all clubs agreed for us could be a godsend to get a Class player if he becomes available instead of battering it out against other teams at the end of the year. Tbf unless a real player who Powell wants comes available or we really struggle I doubt we will use it.

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 12 Jan 2019, 20:43

End of the day we haven't broken any rules so supporters of other clubs can moan all they like. The rules are clearly set and it's a level playing field and you use the rules to maximise what you can spend to your advantage

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 12 Jan 2019, 21:13

braytontiger wrote:End of the day we haven't broken any rules so supporters of other clubs can moan all they like. The rules are clearly set and it's a level playing field and you use the rules to maximise what you can spend to your advantage

Spot on brayton.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 15 Jan 2019, 12:38

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 15 Jan 2019, 18:21

Keithy wrote:
Mysterio wrote:

Thank god you’re not in charge of the wage budget.
Care to expand? As I said I don't agree with the rule that's in place.
I mean, if you’d have had a bee in your bonnet and been in charge, it wouldn’t have been exactly good.
Audacter Et Sincere

yorkie1bn
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by yorkie1bn » 16 Jan 2019, 17:49

several clubs have used the dispensations that are available under the rules, But they don't broadcast it unlike cas have done then the dickheads on here shout and moan about it. its not breaking the rules its there for all to use if they chose to do so. I would like to bet Wigan have made use of it more than once, And Wire.