Jon Wells

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Jon Wells

Post by gateman » 27 Nov 2018, 20:57

Minikin was on the top of his game when he carried three players over to score at Salford, he pinged his shoulder in doing so, an injury free season this year and this lad hopefully will regain that sort of form

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 28 Nov 2018, 10:19

gateman wrote:Minikin was on the top of his game when he carried three players over to score at Salford, he pinged his shoulder in doing so, an injury free season this year and this lad hopefully will regain that sort of form
yes but minikin surely will take claires place on wing any way

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 28 Nov 2018, 10:35

flow wrote:
gateman wrote:Minikin was on the top of his game when he carried three players over to score at Salford, he pinged his shoulder in doing so, an injury free season this year and this lad hopefully will regain that sort of form
yes but minikin surely will take claires place on wing any way
Not if he plays centre ;)
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 28 Nov 2018, 11:33

Correct, he took Junior Sau and the winger 10m on his back to score that day, remember it well.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 30 Nov 2018, 11:10

heritage1926 wrote:
Correct, he took Junior Sau and the winger 10m on his back to score that day, remember it well.
Yes it threw it down at salford that day and was bitterly cold. The try was scored a long way from the Cas support. You could barely see it with the rain driving towards us.

Andrew6666
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Andrew6666 » 30 Nov 2018, 12:45

If Minikin is our centre then let's get behind him. I think he will make a cracking player at centre. The problem I would then have is Clare outside him. I don't think Clare is an SL starter. We would need a winger to go with Minikin at centre.

Easy Tiger 2
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Easy Tiger 2 » 30 Nov 2018, 12:56

I think Clare is a good player,he wasn’t outstanding granted but he never let us down and I felt he was the only player who was capable of going the length of the field or making long breaks until Eden came back from injury

westerbeast
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westerbeast » 30 Nov 2018, 14:42

Clare had some very good games towards the back of last season. Remember John Wells really bigging him up after one game in his post match analysis. He is also a tall player and having played full back knows how to catch a ball which is vital playing wing these days. Also remember Steve Gill being on tv as a panalist and was asked which top 3 players have come through the Cas ranks and he included Clare in his top 3 so can't be that bad a player.

John
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by John » 30 Nov 2018, 16:28

westerbeast wrote:Clare had some very good games towards the back of last season. Remember John Wells really bigging him up after one game in his post match analysis. He is also a tall player and having played full back knows how to catch a ball which is vital playing wing these days. Also remember Steve Gill being on tv as a panalist and was asked which top 3 players have come through the Cas ranks and he included Clare in his top 3 so can't be that bad a player.
Steve gill said him as thats one of them he sign while dp was in aus must say he did well last season hope he does the same next season

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 30 Nov 2018, 17:16

How many other team in SL could draft in a player of Clare’s ability when injuries hit? Look how well he went in 2018 when got his chance. He’s a try scorer, 68 tries in 106 games isn’t a bad strike rate.

He’s a Cas lad, that loves the club and leaves everything out on the field.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 30 Nov 2018, 20:33

heritage1926 wrote:How many other team in SL could draft in a player of Clare’s ability when injuries hit? Look how well he went in 2018 when got his chance. He’s a try scorer, 68 tries in 106 games isn’t a bad strike rate.

Probably all 11 to be fare mate

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 30 Nov 2018, 22:55

heritage1926 wrote:How many other team in SL could draft in a player of Clare’s ability when injuries hit? Look how well he went in 2018 when got his chance. He’s a try scorer, 68 tries in 106 games isn’t a bad strike rate.

I love it when you talk like that.....!!

Every club needs players like JC. He will play his part next year.

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 30 Nov 2018, 23:08

Id say easily 6 teams the main point been were starting a player who is a squad player but wouldnt get a start in at least 6 other teams.

SREGITSAC
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SREGITSAC » 30 Nov 2018, 23:21

betts21 wrote:

Id say easily 6 teams the main point been were starting a player who is a squad player but wouldnt get a start in at least 6 other teams.
We’ve always had players that wouldn’t get a start in other teams....it’s not all about having superstars in every position, the system DP works with has served us well.

The army camp will do the lads the world of good and is the start of taking that next step in terms of toughness and resilience

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 01 Dec 2018, 00:49

it looks like with some of the posts move over Massey and Roberts you are the next one in the firing line Clare

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 01 Dec 2018, 01:12

betts21 wrote:

thinking about it I think I have being a bit harsh on the lad maybe get a start at London I would have kept hitchcox over clare but we could not keep him. most amateur lads from cas would leave every thing on the pitch to play for cas but don't mean there good enough to take the club forward so that's a stupid reason to play him in modern game.

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 01 Dec 2018, 10:00

Clare has done enough to stay on with us. He may be a squad player and not a starting 17 player, but when injuries strike, as they always do, he will step up and become a starting 17 player.
So I don’t get why the rush is needed for a new winger/centre as Clare can fill in until we sign one, just like we would rely on him if our marquee signing snaps a ligament in his first 5 minutes.

So far Wells has brought players in, moved players on and for me is doing a good job. We’ll have had a fairly settled first 17/20 squad now for 3 seasons on the bounce with very little changes in personnel, they all know what the aim is, the club philosophy. If we can have an injury free year like 2017 then we will improve on 2018s positioning.
Let’s not forget that we ended our year with two 0 scores, where we were trying to get a half back match fit and for the semi final we lost our main star half from the season.

Looking at the training videos, minikin and Massey seem to have added some size to them.

Long live the Tigers!!!

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 01 Dec 2018, 14:15

"Looking at the training videos, minikin and Massey seem to have added some size to them".

Amazing how the weight piles on when you have been on holiday, sure they will both trim down after a few weeks of pre season training.

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 01 Dec 2018, 15:08

Sharlotiger wrote:"Looking at the training videos, minikin and Massey seem to have added some size to them".

Amazing how the weight piles on when you have been on holiday, sure they will both trim down after a few weeks of pre season training.
I thought it looked more like muscle than fat, and was a positive comment!

Long live the Tigers!!!

SREGITSAC
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SREGITSAC » 01 Dec 2018, 17:43

da_jimbob_7 wrote:
Sharlotiger wrote:"Looking at the training videos, minikin and Massey seem to have added some size to them".

I thought it looked more like muscle than fat, and was a positive comment!
Greg’s been increasing in size since the ankle / knee ops