Next Year's Squad

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
jackknife
Verified

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by jackknife » 15 Oct 2018, 11:02

tigerfeat wrote:I can only imagine when Ellis sat down to sign his contract we thought it said one year not three then it was too late to change once he signed ...No seriously embarrising tho
When we signed ellis on 3year deal we only had gale n Trueman in the halfs as roberts was down as the new full back n assuming powell didn't think Trueman would of been ready until next season.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Oct 2018, 11:09

I said yesterday don't sign anybody for the sake of it wait until the right person comes along and play a youngster if you have to but there as to be some clear thinking too which ever way you look at it with Ellis he's done exactly what it said on the tin and were apparently looking to get shut one year into a three year deal
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Oct 2018, 11:16

We don’t know if there’s any truth to that. For me, Ellis a solid, reliable back-up and not a quota player whereas Roberts is. Roberts is also OOC with no guarantee of getting a deal like he got here. If there’s a chance that someone else may offer him one last pay day then it may work in both parties’ favour for him to explore opportunities.

Either way we have a spine now of Mata’utia, Trueman, Gale, McShane, Milner. That’s the key part sorted for the next few years. Just got to adapt and build around that.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 15 Oct 2018, 11:23

tigerfeat wrote:I said yesterday don't sign anybody for the sake of it wait until the right person comes along and play a youngster if you have to but there as to be some clear thinking too which ever way you look at it with Ellis he's done exactly what it said on the tin and were apparently looking to get shut one year into a three year deal
Regarding Ellis, he was more than likely brought in to start at half back this year alongside Gale. Roberts was given the fullback spot and the club probably thought he’d make the position his own, meaning that there was a spot in the halves available. Then you factor in Trueman, who was probably never even in DP’s plans for this year and was close to going out on loan, until he had that stormer against Leeds at Elland Road and he’s not looked back since.

Trueman as well and truly earned that 6 shirt for 2019 as far as I’m concerned. Roberts, although he’s 32/33, is still a better option to have than Ellis, plus Benny can cover carious positions if need be, a pretty useful utility player to have. I know he’s missed some game time this year, but he’s helped us out when the injuries out and filled in at key positions, positions Ellis couldn’t.

Ellis probably isn’t on a whack, but if the club can take his wage off the cap and put it towards a centre perhaps then it makes sense. For me, Ellis is the 4th choice half back at the club.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Oct 2018, 11:28

Roberts is probably on double the salary this year of Ellis. That plus any space left, could get us two decent players.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Oct 2018, 11:30

id keep ellis too he would be good back up for next season and i agree were maybe one good signing away from where we wont to be ...i just get mad when i read were being linked with players who would be cheap options
Vince Lombardi

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Oct 2018, 11:35

i think we will just have to grin and bear it with roberts for another season id be amazed anybody wanting to sign him certainley not for the money he will be on for next season at cas
Vince Lombardi

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 15 Oct 2018, 11:36

Fumper27 wrote:
mart0042 wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:
mart0042 wrote:I think we've made a non fed /foreign signing otherwise we could keep jy as we are short in the outside backs.

DP says they're don't be much changing assist from 2/3."looking at our squad, we are not losing any first 17 players. Unlike the other teams, so we must be doing something right.
Apart from Jake Webster???
Jake isn't the player he was.
It that’s not what you said ;)
He's no longer a 17 squad player when everybody is fit. That was my point.

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 15 Oct 2018, 11:41

tigerfeat wrote:i think we will just have to grin and bear it with roberts for another season id be amazed anybody wanting to sign him certainley not for the money he will be on for next season at cas
Might be a good option for London.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 15 Oct 2018, 12:36

We don't have the money to compete with the bigger teams. But we definitely have the quality in our ranks to do so.

But then, you look at the teams around us. Saints have bolstered with some quality signings, adding to an already impressive team. Wigan have the salary cap space to go out and cause some damage. Leeds are losing the old guard and replacing with younger talent. Warrington have the cash and have backed it up by signing Blake Austin. You'd imagine that Hull FC will spend for 2019 and Catalan have some cap space for probably a couple of NRL players.

Next season could be the most wide open year yet.

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 15 Oct 2018, 12:50

heritage1926 wrote:We don't have the money to compete with the bigger teams. But we definitely have the quality in our ranks to do so.

But then, you look at the teams around us. Saints have bolstered with some quality signings, adding to an already impressive team. Wigan have the salary cap space to go out and cause some damage. Leeds are losing the old guard and replacing with younger talent. Warrington have the cash and have backed it up by signing Blake Austin. You'd imagine that Hull FC will spend for 2019 and Catalan have some cap space for probably a couple of NRL players.

Next season could be the most wide open year yet.
How do yo mean we don't have the money ? We spend up to the cap now just like the rest of the "big boys"

Only thing we haven't used is the marquee signing(s) which looking at the state of the clubs finances it seems we could do but choose not to.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Oct 2018, 13:50

I don’t know why everyone is saying other sides have strengthened - all those clubs have lost players:

Saints

Barba, Wilkin, rumours they are trying to free up cap space by letting Amor go, and Matty Smith

They have brought in Naiqama, Paulo and Coote as replacements.

Warrington.

Brought in Clark, Austin and Tasi but released 7 players including marquee for marquee with Roberts.

Leeds brought in Lolohea but lost Moon and Hall.

Wigan - Tomkins, Bateman and Sutton gone with only Hardaker (if they keep him) in.

Every club is losing good players and average players are moving from club to club. We have actually retained our squad.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 15 Oct 2018, 14:20

HuddsTigers wrote:I don’t know why everyone is saying other sides have strengthened - all those clubs have lost players:

Saints

Barba, Wilkin, rumours they are trying to free up cap space by letting Amor go, and Matty Smith

Warrington.

Brought in Clark, Austin and Tasi but released 7 players including marquee for marquee with Roberts.

Wigan - Tomkins, Bateman and Sutton gone with only Hardaker (if they keep him) in.

Every club is losing good players and average players are moving from club to club. We have actually retained our squad.
Barring Wigan, it seems that the other teams are happy to lose a few players to bring in 2/3 better quality ones.

Andrew6666
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Andrew6666 » 15 Oct 2018, 14:35

Wardle back to centre?

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 15 Oct 2018, 14:45

HuddsTigers wrote:I don’t know why everyone is saying other sides have strengthened - all those clubs have lost players:

Saints

Warrington.

Haven’t Saints also release Ryan Morgan?

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 15 Oct 2018, 14:51

when we signed Wardle center is were i thought he would play, having seen him play for us in the center he as failed to impress , in the pre season have we anything to loose by giving Robie Storey a go ??

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 15 Oct 2018, 15:05

gateman wrote:when we signed Wardle center is were i thought he would play, having seen him play for us in the center he as failed to impress , in the pre season have we anything to loose by giving Robie Storey a go ??
Yes I'm sure he will be given the opportunity in pre season how that goes is down to Robbie,he's got the right attitude but at 18 and only had 1 or 2 games against men it's a big ask to expect him to nail down the centre spot for 2019 but without the chance we will never know. The same applies for a number of our younger players.

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 15 Oct 2018, 15:12

The only way we could use the marquee rule at the minute, in my opinion, is if shenton/Milner were on more than 75k. Class them as Marquee and free up the extra they earn to sign more.

If we are upto the cap or close to it we won’t have 150k to use to sign a marquee player in the first place.

Ellis has done what I’d gather would be expected of him and more potentially. To fill in and cover the halfback role when called on. I’m pretty sure he was signed before ZH was fired so will have been signed as a back up. He probably hoped to be first choice once BR was moved to fullback but the rise of trueman has kept him as a back up. He’s a more than capable back up half, that knows the league and can kick goals. If he’s on a ‘squad/back up’ salary I don’t see the rush in letting him go. Where as, as much as I like the bloke, Benny would be the one to look at releasing. Quota spot, high earner and an horrific injury record with a hit/miss style of play when he does play means we’ve probably seen 1/4 of his talent actually displayed in the games he’s been with us.

Keeping a stable ship, improving on the recurring injuries we’ve seen will see us go well again. Especially with PM having a full pre-season along with McMeekan and Gale, then Foster as an almost new signing.

Long live the Tigers!!!

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 15 Oct 2018, 15:14

braytontiger wrote:
gateman wrote:when we signed Wardle center is were i thought he would play, having seen him play for us in the center he as failed to impress , in the pre season have we anything to loose by giving Robie Storey a go ??
Yes I'm sure he will be given the opportunity in pre season how that goes is down to Robbie,he's got the right attitude but at 18 and only had 1 or 2 games against men it's a big ask to expect him to nail down the centre spot for 2019 but without the chance we will never know. The same applies for a number of our younger players.
They need the chance.
What had trueman done prior to this year? One or two games, albeit a hat trick V Wigan, he hadn’t had much of a shot against men. But when given the go his talent and skills have shone through.

Long live the Tigers!!!

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 15 Oct 2018, 15:26

da_jimbob_7 wrote:
braytontiger wrote:
They need the chance.
What had trueman done prior to this year? One or two games, albeit a hat trick V Wigan, he hadn’t had much of a shot against men. But when given the go his talent and skills have shone through.
Agree 100% they need the chance