Next Year's Squad

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by Fumper27 » 13 Nov 2018, 15:31

heritage1926 wrote:4 times last year we couldn't cope with Saints, in fact we didn't get anywhere near them. They have strengthened once again. How is the same squad as last year, meant to be able to compete with them again, when they're getting stronger? it can't happen surely?
Have they got stronger or have they replaced like for like???

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 13 Nov 2018, 16:13

Fumper27 wrote:
heritage1926 wrote:4 times last year we couldn't cope with Saints, in fact we didn't get anywhere near them. They have strengthened once again. How is the same squad as last year, meant to be able to compete with them again, when they're getting stronger? it can't happen surely?
Even if Saints are like for like. Other teams have so will be much more difficult in 2019.

And our back line must be about 8th best out of 12 teams for next year.

DP can only do so much

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 13 Nov 2018, 17:14

Fumper27 wrote:
You could argue Barba is slightly better than Coote, but end of the day, both are NRL Premiership winners, so he certainly has pedigree. Naiqama is definitely an upgrade on Morgan. Walmsley will be like a new signing for them too, he'll be back fitter and stronger. They've also signed Joseph Paulo from Cronulla who's solid and young Joe Batchelor from York who is an up and coming star. They've firepower everywhere.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 13 Nov 2018, 17:22

patience is the key how many top class centres is there available ?? I am one who would hang fire till one comes available that's going to complement our squad to sign a centre for the sake of it would be folly ,

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 13 Nov 2018, 17:38

We all know the season isn’t won in February I’m hoping we make 2 good mid season signings as good as peanut and watts. If one of those is a centre watch this space also if Gale and Truman stay fit all season I think we could be there or there about a anyway.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 13 Nov 2018, 18:01

At the end of the day there might not it be any centres available for the right money or contract length that DP is happy with and hes not willing to pay more than a player is worth or offer a long contract to someone he doesn't think is worth it.

He'll know we need a centre but isn't going to panic into signing the wrong player, he will be monitoring any unhappy centres and waiting for an opportunity to recruit them if they become available.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 13 Nov 2018, 18:22

jackknife wrote:At the end of the day there might not it be any centres available for the right money or contract length that DP is happy with and hes not willing to pay more than a player is worth or offer a long contract to someone he doesn't think is worth it.

He'll know we need a centre but isn't going to panic into signing the wrong player, he will be monitoring any unhappy centres and waiting for an opportunity to recruit them if they become available.
Looks like DP was quite happy to overpay several lads with their contract renewals to leave us so little in the pot to bring anyone else in.

We knew early days Webster would be leaving and it seems crazy we didn't have someone else lined up ready to step in. Now having a football manager surely we should expect better of our recruitment policy .

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 13 Nov 2018, 18:58

Sharlotiger wrote:
jackknife wrote:At the end of the day there might not it be any centres available for the right money or contract length that DP is happy with and hes not willing to pay more than a player is worth or offer a long contract to someone he doesn't think is worth it.

Looks like DP was quite happy to overpay several lads with their contract renewals to leave us so little in the pot to bring anyone else in.

We knew early days Webster would be leaving and it seems crazy we didn't have someone else lined up ready to step in. Now having a football manager surely we should expect better of our recruitment policy .
Fans on this forum were crying out to tie up our good players longer term. It was said that in the past we couldn't keep them, the big fish were circling etc etc. Now some fans aren't happy.
All the years we craved some success, get it under DP, no the moaners out again.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 13 Nov 2018, 19:16

Not being privy to inside negotiations but did we know early on Webster was leaving? My own opinion is that he started out as our starting centre based on how good he's been recent years and as the year went on, cracks started to show and a mutual decision was made.

I'd be surprised if he wasn't on a lower contract given his age anyway and the fact he's been on one year deals. Maybe that's the money still left in the pot for a squad player that was spoken about?
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 13 Nov 2018, 19:29

Jon wells better have a sturdy tin helmet to hand if he announces a squad player in next few days ;)
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 13 Nov 2018, 19:35

tigerfeat wrote:Jon wells better have a sturdy tin helmet to hand if he announces a squad player in next few days ;)
Project signing ;)
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 13 Nov 2018, 19:36

HuddsTigers wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:Jon wells better have a sturdy tin helmet to hand if he announces a squad player in next few days ;)
Project signing ;)
Bloody hell.

baldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by baldtiger » 13 Nov 2018, 20:37

I can't see what the panic is. I've been around for 50 years these last few seasons have been the best for a long time. If dp hasn't gone for anyone as yet then there's a good reason, for me foster was great as a stand in centre last year and would only get better. Don't forget the injury list we had last year and still did a great job . Having said that St's are going to take some beating by any team

SREGITSAC
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SREGITSAC » 13 Nov 2018, 20:40

baldtiger wrote:I can't see what the panic is. I've been around for 50 years these last few seasons have been the best for a long time. If dp hasn't gone for anyone as yet then there's a good reason, for me foster was great as a stand in centre last year and would only get better. Don't forget the injury list we had last year and still did a great job . Having said that St's are going to take some beating by any team
And of course signing “big” players doesn’t guarantee success, teams can recruit really well but unless they play as a unit it’s pointless, ask Salford.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 13 Nov 2018, 21:33

We have lads on the books who have played centre if we don't intend to give them a go why are they on the books ??, if it had not been for injury's one Jake Trueman would most likely be still waiting his chance

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 14 Nov 2018, 11:22

TT Tiger wrote:We all know the season isn’t won in February I’m hoping we make 2 good mid season signings as good as peanut and watts. If one of those is a centre watch this space also if Gale and Truman stay fit all season I think we could be there or there about a anyway.
we appointed jon wells this year to get the signings spot on are you saying the best we can hope for is out of the blue situations like wattsy being shown the door or leigh going bust before we make good signings
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

BigBez10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by BigBez10 » 14 Nov 2018, 11:47

tigerfeat wrote:
TT Tiger wrote:We all know the season isn’t won in February I’m hoping we make 2 good mid season signings as good as peanut and watts. If one of those is a centre watch this space also if Gale and Truman stay fit all season I think we could be there or there about a anyway.
we appointed jon wells this year to get the signings spot on are you saying the best we can hope for is out of the blue situations like wattsy being shown the door or leigh going bust before we make good signings
You just said it yourself, we appointed Wells to get the signings spot on - but if the right players aren't out there, or are demanding too much, then I'd rather wait until the right player does present itself.

Many seem to forget that is was at centre that Minikin first attracted interest from superleague teams - was it Jon Wilkin who bigged Minikin up as a future star? If Powell thinks Minikin is the best option for the second centre spot then I trust his decision.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 14 Nov 2018, 12:15

Craig @ SMTMUK (players agent) has just tweeted:
People keep asking why @CTRLFC not going into player market. I hope it's to give younger players a chance and not just because they can’t get players of the cap Big season for @CTRLFC coming up need to stay in top four or season deemed a failure in my opinion
I wonder if that's a little dig at the likes of Roberts and Ellis?

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 14 Nov 2018, 12:46

heritage1926 wrote:Craig @ SMTMUK (players agent) has just tweeted:
People keep asking why @CTRLFC not going into player market. I hope it's to give younger players a chance and not just because they can’t get players of the cap Big season for @CTRLFC coming up need to stay in top four or season deemed a failure in my opinion
I wonder if that's a little dig at the likes of Roberts and Ellis?
Well, it’s clearly been spawned from a position of knowledge and, perhaps, frustration on a personal level (or at client level).

It’s also somewhat applying a notch of extra pressure to the club and off field staff too.

Someone somewhere isn’t happy. I think that is obvious.
Audacter Et Sincere

St Albans tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by St Albans tiger » 14 Nov 2018, 13:33

Think its just agent talk again- he probably has players on his books he wants to re-arrange contracts for (think Turner is one of his) and Cas are saying they don't have the cap available to enter into negotiations.

Lets be honest - who on his books stands out as a player we would be interested in signing - cant imagine he has any overseas players we want to fill the missing centre spot.