Next Year's Squad

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by gateman » 15 Oct 2018, 14:51

when we signed Wardle center is were i thought he would play, having seen him play for us in the center he as failed to impress , in the pre season have we anything to loose by giving Robie Storey a go ??

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 15 Oct 2018, 15:05

gateman wrote:when we signed Wardle center is were i thought he would play, having seen him play for us in the center he as failed to impress , in the pre season have we anything to loose by giving Robie Storey a go ??
Yes I'm sure he will be given the opportunity in pre season how that goes is down to Robbie,he's got the right attitude but at 18 and only had 1 or 2 games against men it's a big ask to expect him to nail down the centre spot for 2019 but without the chance we will never know. The same applies for a number of our younger players.

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 15 Oct 2018, 15:12

The only way we could use the marquee rule at the minute, in my opinion, is if shenton/Milner were on more than 75k. Class them as Marquee and free up the extra they earn to sign more.

If we are upto the cap or close to it we won’t have 150k to use to sign a marquee player in the first place.

Ellis has done what I’d gather would be expected of him and more potentially. To fill in and cover the halfback role when called on. I’m pretty sure he was signed before ZH was fired so will have been signed as a back up. He probably hoped to be first choice once BR was moved to fullback but the rise of trueman has kept him as a back up. He’s a more than capable back up half, that knows the league and can kick goals. If he’s on a ‘squad/back up’ salary I don’t see the rush in letting him go. Where as, as much as I like the bloke, Benny would be the one to look at releasing. Quota spot, high earner and an horrific injury record with a hit/miss style of play when he does play means we’ve probably seen 1/4 of his talent actually displayed in the games he’s been with us.

Keeping a stable ship, improving on the recurring injuries we’ve seen will see us go well again. Especially with PM having a full pre-season along with McMeekan and Gale, then Foster as an almost new signing.

Long live the Tigers!!!

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 15 Oct 2018, 15:14

braytontiger wrote:
gateman wrote:when we signed Wardle center is were i thought he would play, having seen him play for us in the center he as failed to impress , in the pre season have we anything to loose by giving Robie Storey a go ??
Yes I'm sure he will be given the opportunity in pre season how that goes is down to Robbie,he's got the right attitude but at 18 and only had 1 or 2 games against men it's a big ask to expect him to nail down the centre spot for 2019 but without the chance we will never know. The same applies for a number of our younger players.
They need the chance.
What had trueman done prior to this year? One or two games, albeit a hat trick V Wigan, he hadn’t had much of a shot against men. But when given the go his talent and skills have shone through.

Long live the Tigers!!!

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 15 Oct 2018, 15:26

da_jimbob_7 wrote:
braytontiger wrote:
They need the chance.
What had trueman done prior to this year? One or two games, albeit a hat trick V Wigan, he hadn’t had much of a shot against men. But when given the go his talent and skills have shone through.
Agree 100% they need the chance

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 15 Oct 2018, 15:32

I’d love to see Foster given the #3 shirt for 2019. He was playing his best rugby for us in the centres before injury. Pound for pound he’s one of the toughest we’ve got for his size. A bit like Milner, plays well above his size. He’s mobile and quick and defensively solid. He certainly wouldn’t let us down.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 15 Oct 2018, 15:33

Trueman was given his chance probably earlier/more than maybe he would have done had Gale not been injured for so long. If this is how we find another top young prospect, lose our main man and only finish 3rd and miss the GF because of 1 poor performance then I will accept that. Truman should, hopefully will, become our next step to winning a trophy.

There was no way we were going to replicate last year, maybe next year who knows.

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 15 Oct 2018, 18:47

heritage1926 wrote:I’d love to see Foster given the #3 shirt for 2019. He was playing his best rugby for us in the centres before injury. Pound for pound he’s one of the toughest we’ve got for his size. A bit like Milner, plays well above his size. He’s mobile and quick and defensively solid. He certainly wouldn’t let us down.
No no no. Foster is our equivalent to John Bateman for Wigan and needs to be in the back row.

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 15 Oct 2018, 19:39

Fumper27 wrote:
heritage1926 wrote:I’d love to see Foster given the #3 shirt for 2019. He was playing his best rugby for us in the centres before injury. Pound for pound he’s one of the toughest we’ve got for his size. A bit like Milner, plays well above his size. He’s mobile and quick and defensively solid. He certainly wouldn’t let us down.
No no no. Foster is our equivalent to John Bateman for Wigan and needs to be in the back row.

Foster needs to play. But does he get picked in the back row over two England international's Holmes and Mcmeeken

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 15 Oct 2018, 19:41

some young lads just need the chance and grab it with both hands, Trueman for us Tomkins at Wigan both would never have been given the chance but for a load of injuries , if the club want to attract the best youngsters we have got to start giving them a go,

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 15 Oct 2018, 20:24

Casmoley wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:

Foster needs to play. But does he get picked in the back row over two England international's Holmes and Mcmeeken
For me he does. Mcmeekan is too hit and miss and tends to go missing in the big games. I like Holmes and very similar player to Foster but based on the past 18 months, I’d take Alex every time.

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 15 Oct 2018, 22:07

I honestly think he's class where ever but his stint In the centre this year was by far the best games anyone's played there this year give him a pre season in that position trim him down a bit more ad some pace work he could be a revelation hits hard runs hard and attracts defenders allowing a winger more space.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Oct 2018, 22:32

Or - here’s something from left field (well, slightly). We give Calum Turner a chance at full back going into the season and play Mata’utia at centre.

Turner
Minikin
Mata’utia
Shenton
Eden
Trueman
Gale
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 15 Oct 2018, 22:43

betts21 wrote:I honestly think he's class where ever but his stint In the centre this year was by far the best games anyone's played there this year give him a pre season in that position trim him down a bit more ad some pace work he could be a revelation hits hard runs hard and attracts defenders allowing a winger more space.
Thought he looked good at centre but don’t remember seeing him pass much which is crucial

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 15 Oct 2018, 22:44

Tamworth Tiger wrote:
betts21 wrote:I honestly think he's class where ever but his stint In the centre this year was by far the best games anyone's played there this year give him a pre season in that position trim him down a bit more ad some pace work he could be a revelation hits hard runs hard and attracts defenders allowing a winger more space.
Thought he looked good at centre but don’t remember seeing him pass much which is crucial
Strong runner and solid tackler but not the best passer so wouldn't work at centre long term
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Oct 2018, 22:46

HuddsTigers wrote:Or - here’s something from left field (well, slightly). We give Calum Turner a chance at full back going into the season and play Mata’utia at centre.

Turner
Minikin
Mata’utia
Shenton
Eden
Trueman
Gale
Yes that would be my plan also ...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 15 Oct 2018, 22:51

tigerfeat wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:Or - here’s something from left field (well, slightly). We give Calum Turner a chance at full back going into the season and play Mata’utia at centre.

Turner
Minikin
Mata’utia
Shenton
Eden
Trueman
Gale
Yes that would be my plan also ...
Or send turner out on dual reg and go with Minikin if we're unable to free up funds
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 16 Oct 2018, 06:57

Pete is our best shot at full back. He has proven himself there in the last few week. After a full pre season with Gale and Truey, he will be even better. Why change him to centre?

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 16 Oct 2018, 07:37

I think we will see

FB Mata’utia
LW Eden
LC Shenton
RC Minikin
RW Clare
SO Truman
SH Gale

And I wouldn’t be surprised to see us add a centre during the season and might even see Gill and Egodo a bit more.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 16 Oct 2018, 08:47

its a shame that we could not have placed Egodo in the championship , with all due respect playing in league one would hardly help him improve his game, some of the clubs in this league are hardly above the likes of lock Lane and Normanton, when I have seen him play like Gill both these Lads are not far off first team