Next Year's Squad

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Tigerman2014
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by Tigerman2014 » 04 Nov 2018, 21:09

True we’ve already got rid of Gadwin though too not sure how much he was in mind

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 05 Nov 2018, 00:36

Tigerman2014 wrote:England as in Anthony England ?!?
Rather have Keith England

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 05 Nov 2018, 00:55

HuddsTigers wrote:
Spanishtiger wrote:Yes you've conveniently forgotten that Wardle hasn't had one good game in the centre for us. Square peg round hole again.
Wardle hasn’t had time or a preseason to get used to playing centre again never mind having a fully fit team to get used to combinations.

As for he doesn’t want to play centre, at the end of the day he’s not going to get in at the back row at the moment. He has a chance to get a starting spot every week at centre and given the lack of international centres, a great chance to get an England shirt if he performs. Players should want to play every week. He’s played his career at centre in the majority.
Sorry Hudds, how did he not have a preseason? We signed him in August 2017. As for playing centre being some sort of surprise, when we signed him we had Webster and Shenton as recognised centres, and Holmes, McMeeken, Foster and one of JSL/Moors as recognised 2nd rowers.
Where was he expecting to play, half back???

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 05 Nov 2018, 01:08

I meant he didn’t have a preseason where he was a centre. He had a preseason as a second row last year. Different position, different sessions and different field moves. Different learning plays as a forward to a back and getting your lines and combos right I assume.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 05 Nov 2018, 02:06

Mate, without wishing to disagree for the sake of it, Wardle was signed to eventually replace Webster, Minikin for Shenny. As you yourself said earlier in this thread, 70 odd % of Wardle's SL appearances have been at Centre.
I've nothing against Wardle, and really hope that his fitness issues are behind him and he cracks on to be a stand out player for us. When all's said he was good enough to play some NRL so should hopefully be able to return to his Huddersfield form.
Which was very good tbf, although I believe he'd benefit from playing left side over right.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 05 Nov 2018, 07:45

It's hardly going to do wonders for Wardles confidence knowing he's been offered around to other super league clubs
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 05 Nov 2018, 07:56

Spanishtiger wrote:Mate, without wishing to disagree for the sake of it, Wardle was signed to eventually replace Webster, Minikin for Shenny. As you yourself said earlier in this thread, 70 odd % of Wardle's SL appearances have been at Centre.
I've nothing against Wardle, and really hope that his fitness issues are behind him and he cracks on to be a stand out player for us. When all's said he was good enough to play some NRL so should hopefully be able to return to his Huddersfield form.
Which was very good tbf, although I believe he'd benefit from playing left side over right.
Well we aren’t disagreeing on that point - I think he should be our centre next season. He’s the most experienced person for that position. But whether he was eventually signed for there or not, he still played as a second row last season (filling in at centre with injuries). On the other points, didn’t Shenny start as a right centre at one point? Thinking back to that long range try he scored vs Leeds in 2008 I seem to remember him being right side then. So we could quite easily switch them? It comes down to whether you want to mess with a prolific left edge though.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 05 Nov 2018, 08:16

Tigerade wrote:I have heard that we have made a signing already - a centre but not announced yet. we are well on the way with another 2 signings - a prop and a back-rower. We are also looking at offloading 2 players,
Offload - Wardle,Ellis,Aston,Roberts,Maher (take your pick really)
Centre - Sau

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 05 Nov 2018, 10:09

I think its got to be either Roberts or Ellis with Wardle to go.

England and Sau or Peanuts brother to come in.

Would be ideal

A half back and 2nd rower for a prop n centre.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 05 Nov 2018, 11:21

HuddsTigers wrote:
Spanishtiger wrote:Mate, without wishing to disagree for the sake of it, Wardle was signed to eventually replace Webster, Minikin for Shenny. As you yourself said earlier in this thread, 70 odd % of Wardle's SL appearances have been at Centre.
Well we aren’t disagreeing on that point - I think he should be our centre next season. He’s the most experienced person for that position. But whether he was eventually signed for there or not, he still played as a second row last season (filling in at centre with injuries). On the other points, didn’t Shenny start as a right centre at one point? Thinking back to that long range try he scored vs Leeds in 2008 I seem to remember him being right side then. So we could quite easily switch them? It comes down to whether you want to mess with a prolific left edge though.
Shenny played right centre all of his career and then went to left due to DPs left hand style, which webbo didn't fit into.

Wardle played his rugby at left centre and now plays on our right predominantly.

Minikin plays right.

DP must know what he's doing.

Tigerman2014
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigerman2014 » 05 Nov 2018, 15:04

I mean are we really looking At Anthony England I suppose he’d add to our aging pack lol

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 05 Nov 2018, 15:12

mart0042 wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:
Shenny played right centre all of his career and then went to left due to DPs left hand style, which webbo didn't fit into.

Wardle played his rugby at left centre and now plays on our right predominantly.

Minikin plays right.

DP must know what he's doing.
Thought Webbo had probably his best season for Cas whilst playing in the left centre whilst Shenton was out in 2015. Seem to recall his wing partner that season scoring a few tries on the back of his centres ability.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 05 Nov 2018, 19:11

Webster and Carney was hard to handle but a different type of attack to Shenton and Eden/Solomona
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

SREGITSAC
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SREGITSAC » 05 Nov 2018, 23:41

Was 2016 season and his Winger (Solomona) took the try scoring record, Webster got very little recognition for that...

Andrew6666
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Andrew6666 » 06 Nov 2018, 00:15

If Wardle wants to stay, he better get goid at right side centre quick. He is nowhere near starting as a second rower with the ones we have.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 06 Nov 2018, 08:29

Waffle been a poor expensive signing and has not delivered. Remember saying at the time that he wouldn’t make an impact. He hasn’t been good wherever he has played and was a big gamble that hasn’t paid off

Ellis has also been a big waste of time. Free up a good amount of money if they both went.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 06 Nov 2018, 10:42

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Waffle been a poor expensive signing and has not delivered. Remember saying at the time that he wouldn’t make an impact. He hasn’t been good wherever he has played and was a big gamble that hasn’t paid off

Ellis has also been a big waste of time. Free up a good amount of money if they both went.
Dont think we being useing right topping on waffle treacle better and Ellis hate too much of them lol

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 06 Nov 2018, 10:43

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Waffle been a poor expensive signing and has not delivered. Remember saying at the time that he wouldn’t make an impact. He hasn’t been good wherever he has played and was a big gamble that hasn’t paid off

Ellis is on a low wage and has had to play a lot of games covering injuries, id hardly call that a waste of money.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 06 Nov 2018, 11:09

flow wrote:

Dont think we being useing right topping on waffle treacle better and Ellis hate too much of them lol
:lol:
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 06 Nov 2018, 11:40

jackknife wrote:

Ellis is on a low wage and has had to play a lot of games covering injuries, id hardly call that a waste of money.
I agree, We would have really struggled without Ellis last season.
Although he’s not top class, he did a job for us and whilst he’s never going to be first choice SH or SO or hooker, he is a useful squad member as he can cover a few positions in case of injuries. Having said that, Roberts covers the same positions and more, but on a higher wage.
The question is, how many of this type of player can we have????