Next Year's Squad

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Mucky1978
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by Mucky1978 » 20 Nov 2018, 13:47

Jonny1975 wrote:We won't be 3rd, Leeds will be top 4 next yr, with Wigan, Wire & Saints, Wakey & Hudds have strengthened well, and will have as good a squad as us, Catalans will go well, Salford have strengthened as have KR, we have stood still, I will be very surprised if we may top 6, and wouldn't be surprised if we struggle for top 8.
Leeds you having a laugh won’t make top 6 few good signing but a terrible squad.

Wigan lost there 2 best players Hardaker won’t be the same player as he was at Cas 15 months out he will lost a yard of pace.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 20 Nov 2018, 15:07

Flat Capper wrote:I believe it was Winston Churchill who said something along the lines of, you have to look at history to prevent repeating the same mistakes.

Time and time again in our past we have failed to improve and strengthen squads, only to drop like a stone. It doesn't take a genius to work out the likely outcome of repeating the tact.
Great post the people who think squad is good enough are in cuckoo land dont matter how deep your squad if no Quality like when we never replaced Blackmore Kemp ellis ended in relegation with signing lower league players .rather have 16quality then a pool off thirty with 70% only good enough for lower league

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 20 Nov 2018, 16:00

flow wrote:
Flat Capper wrote:I believe it was Winston Churchill who said something along the lines of, you have to look at history to prevent repeating the same mistakes.

Time and time again in our past we have failed to improve and strengthen squads, only to drop like a stone. It doesn't take a genius to work out the likely outcome of repeating the tact.
Great post the people who think squad is good enough are in cuckoo land dont matter how deep your squad if no Quality like when we never replaced Blackmore Kemp ellis ended in relegation with signing lower league players .rather have 16quality then a pool off thirty with 70% only good enough for lower league
We didn’t replace Blackmore kemp and Ellis and then got relegated 10 years later? I don’t understand the logic there?

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 20 Nov 2018, 16:04

flow wrote:

Good enough for what? Other than Webster its the same pool of players that finished 4th this year. Again just my opinion but we are 1 player short either a winger or centre but if the right player isn't available for whatever reason what do you do. I still feel our biggest problem last year other than no full back was poor fitness brought on by a shocking pre season which has been addressed with a new conditioner. Our squad is good enough,our coaching staff is good enough have some faith.

Kenilworth Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Kenilworth Tiger » 20 Nov 2018, 17:28

This is the squad that beat St Helens in the Semi Final in 2017

Hardaker; Minikin, Webster, Shenton, Eden; Roberts, Gale; Massey, McShane, Sene-Lefao, Foster, McMeeken, Milner.
Subs - Millington, Moors, Cook, Springer

We have lost Hardaker, Webster and Springer from that squad and added Watts and Matautia so I would say we are only 1 player worse off and that's Webster.

Wells has stated that we are pushing for 1 more signing - if that is a centre I'd say we're in pretty good shape if you add Truman, Holmes and Clark to that squad also
I don't have a favourite second team - it's Cas 100% for me

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 20 Nov 2018, 18:03

Good enough for what? Other than Webster its the same pool of players that finished 4th this year. Again just my opinion but we are 1 player short either a winger or centre but if the right player isn't available for whatever reason what do you do. I still feel our biggest problem last year other than no full back was poor fitness brought on by a shocking pre season which has been addressed with a new conditioner. Our squad is good enough,our coaching staff is good enough have some faith.[/quote]

Finished 4th? ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 20 Nov 2018, 18:11

It’s my feeling that we are on the verge of starting to go backwards.
Regardless of what the squad was 2 years ago, the saints team we beat has improved greatly! We’ve stood still. In fact, we’ve lost quality.
Just my feeling though, and we’ll see how we start the season. We might go 5 from 5 to start with a bang.
We also might go 2 from 5, which would be a decline.
Audacter Et Sincere

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 20 Nov 2018, 18:18

flow wrote:

No Quality? Do i really need to name all our quality? Let face it we're a decent centre short of having an excellent squad and the way people on here go on about it we need a full new squad. Get over it there isn't any centres available for what we're willing/able to pay for them so we're going with what we have until one becomes available.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 20 Nov 2018, 18:23

If, at the start of last season, we'd been told that Gale, Roberts and Eden would miss the majority and we'd be filling in with a variety of bodies at full back until late summer, all the doom mongers on here would have us in the qualifiers, not 3rd.

To all intents we've lost Webster, who was questioned on here all last season as past it etc. Hopefully Gale and Roberts (who I still rate) will have a full year, and I am confident of a signing because I believe Wells and Powell know what they're doing.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 20 Nov 2018, 18:26

Kenilworth Tiger wrote:This is the squad that beat St Helens in the Semi Final in 2017

Hardaker; Minikin, Webster, Shenton, Eden; Roberts, Gale; Massey, McShane, Sene-Lefao, Foster, McMeeken, Milner.

We have lost Hardaker, Webster and Springer from that squad and added Watts and Matautia so I would say we are only 1 player worse off and that's Webster.

Wells has stated that we are pushing for 1 more signing - if that is a centre I'd say we're in pretty good shape if you add Truman, Holmes and Clark to that squad also
Thing is KT, that team was exceptional 2017, no one expected us to put consistent performances on like we did week in week out.
Sadly that team fell short in the biggest game of Castlefords history.

This year same team more or less minus hardaker, picked 2 players up half way through the season, playing a lot of inconstant rugby.
Fell short again.
So the last 2 years with a decent squad we won nothing apart from the LLS.

I’m more worried this squad of players have peaked the last 2 years and it now need freshening up with a couple of new face that can invigorate a squad.

Hope I’m wrong, my main fear is we have sat back with a big fat cigar in our mouth in awe of the last 2 season. We need to every season strengthened what we have.
Thats how a team stays fresh and on its toes.

Yes it’s nice to give out of contract players decent pay rise by re-signing them, but not when it leaves us skint so we can’t afford a player in a position we desperately need.

Any how if Jon wells is true to his word we are looking to bring one more player in.
Let’s hope it’s a center.

So for long post.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 20 Nov 2018, 18:37

Signed Watts, Matautia, two top class performers. Don't call that sitting back.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 20 Nov 2018, 18:42

cogito ergo sum wrote:Signed Watts, Matautia, two top class performers. Don't call that sitting back.
plus a stint from QLT

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 20 Nov 2018, 18:48

cogito ergo sum wrote:Signed Watts, Matautia, two top class performers. Don't call that sitting back.
I mean for 2019.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 20 Nov 2018, 19:21

Look we've got good players it's just at the end of last year when zak did what he did we were left without a full back I'm not having from October till the start of the season there wasn't anybody we could have brought in it wasn't till three parts into the season we brought qlt in to me that was poor stuff from cas we seem to be doing the same now with a starting centre tho id be amazed if one dosnt arrive shortly
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 20 Nov 2018, 19:45

Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Good enough for what? Other than Webster its the same pool of players that finished 4th this year. Again just my opinion but we are 1 player short either a winger or centre but if the right player isn't available for whatever reason what do you do. I still feel our biggest problem last year other than no full back was poor fitness brought on by a shocking pre season which has been addressed with a new conditioner. Our squad is good enough,our coaching staff is good enough have some faith.

Finished 4th? ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)[/quote]

Yep in terms of money 4th.

Wigan
Warrington
Saints
Cas ;) ;)

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 20 Nov 2018, 19:54

Kenilworth Tiger wrote:This is the squad that beat St Helens in the Semi Final in 2017

I think your underestimating. How good hardarker was that year shenton not same player mckeenen shadow off player webster gone minikin injury prone dont get your point

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 21 Nov 2018, 08:54

braytontiger wrote:
Lofthouse Tiger wrote:Good enough for what? Other than Webster its the same pool of players that finished 4th this year. Again just my opinion but we are 1 player short either a winger or centre but if the right player isn't available for whatever reason what do you do. I still feel our biggest problem last year other than no full back was poor fitness brought on by a shocking pre season which has been addressed with a new conditioner. Our squad is good enough,our coaching staff is good enough have some faith.

Finished 4th? ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Yep in terms of money 4th.

Wigan
Warrington
Saints
Cas ;) ;)[/quote]

dont follow this one at all ?

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 21 Nov 2018, 08:56

braytontiger wrote:
flow wrote:

Good enough for what? Other than Webster its the same pool of players that finished 4th this year. Again just my opinion but we are 1 player short either a winger or centre but if the right player isn't available for whatever reason what do you do. I still feel our biggest problem last year other than no full back was poor fitness brought on by a shocking pre season which has been addressed with a new conditioner. Our squad is good enough,our coaching staff is good enough have some faith.
Shocking pre season, enlighten us - what does that mean ?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 21 Nov 2018, 08:59

New conditioner going to be answer to everything be looks ...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 21 Nov 2018, 09:39

tigerfeat wrote:New conditioner going to be answer to everything be looks ...
Might be for Luke Gale