Next Year's Squad

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Next Year's Squad

Post by Scoopage » 14 Oct 2018, 09:10

Spanishtiger wrote:Take it you've never run a business Scoop
Nope never run a business mate but I do know what I’d like to see my club do to move forward.if it can’t be done then so be it.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 14 Oct 2018, 11:58

Yes I agree with your sentiment, but knowing our luck we'd get rid of 3 forwards to sign a centre who does his ACL in the second week. Then later in the season we'd have an run of injuries in the pack and end up getting relegated.

Rather than blowing big bucks on a marquee player I'd rather use the profits that the club is generating to either pay off the 2m that the club owes the Fultons or save the money to finance a new stand if the axiom deal falls through.

Without wishing to sound too gloomy, I really think that the SL management are going to run out of patience with ourselves and wakefield at some point.

Andrew6666
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Andrew6666 » 14 Oct 2018, 13:43

Would love us to unearth an 'Alex Foster' Centre - much better than splashing lots of cash on a player that may or may not work in the SL.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 14 Oct 2018, 17:51

Can’t live our lives on what ifs!cant not sign a top player incase he gets injured.we have to build year on year.off the pitch is better than ever,on the pitch the same.like someone said we don’t need to make wholesale changes.2 out 2 in,or 3 out 1 in.the club is showing ambition let’s back em like we always do and buy into it

Fryston Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Fryston Tiger » 14 Oct 2018, 21:12

In my humble opinion I don’t think we need wholesale changes....but we absolutely do need a new centre with size, pace n a decent offload. You don’t need to spend outrageous amounts to get this. Pat Mat’autia would be someone to look at.
For me, what is a priority though, is to get someone in who can help us relax n focus in the big games. The Club obviously knows it’s a problem, so let’s see what they do about it.
One last thing, if we can turn Minikin and/or Foster into class centres...great. But I don’t think we can rely on this happening, as we did last year when hoping we could make Ben Roberts into a Zak Hardaker replacement. I think our pack is a match for any other team in SL, as is our halves (Gale n Truman). Fullback is covered well by Pete M. Got no complaints about our wingers either. So all in all.....small changes, big improvements for me this close season. Over to you Cas....

Tigerman2014
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigerman2014 » 14 Oct 2018, 21:15

Our pack is ok would only look at another forward if we could shift Gadwin out, deffo centre needs at least 1 player arriving if not 2 !!!

John
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by John » 15 Oct 2018, 03:49

League Express saying we are trying to strenthen the squad but with little cap left finding it hard they say we are looking ti get rid of ellis why are we not getting rid of will and aston as well

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Oct 2018, 07:49

I can only imagine when Ellis sat down to sign his contract we thought it said one year not three then it was too late to change once he signed ...No seriously embarrising tho
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 15 Oct 2018, 08:35

John wrote:League Express saying we are trying to strenthen the squad but with little cap left finding it hard they say we are looking ti get rid of ellis why are we not getting rid of will and aston as well
So we can expect no big signings then. 2019 pretty much the same as 2018 player wise it seems.

For me Douglas, Maher and Aston can all go.
Springer if DP has no trust in him get rid too, London would snap him up.
Ellis if we can get rid i would. We have Gale, Trueman, Roberts and Macca for 2019 so he is not needed.

That should with what we have left be enough to bring in a centre and a winger.

Sio and "a other" would be nice.

Back to reality and none of the above will happen :(

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 15 Oct 2018, 08:46

Looks like Sio is on his way to Salford.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 15 Oct 2018, 09:22

last year we were saying that we needed a big prop we got Watts a very good signing, this year most of us think that a big center should be on the clubs shopping list, fill this and next year with any luck with injuries I can see us in the top four once again

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 15 Oct 2018, 09:29

gateman wrote:last year we were saying that we needed a big prop we got Watts a very good signing, this year most of us think that a big center should be on the clubs shopping list, fill this and next year with any luck with injuries I can see us in the top four once again
We made third without Gale Roberts Eden and Mini for much of the season, and full back turmoil for most of it. Sort out a centre and I think we're good to go.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 15 Oct 2018, 09:33

gateman wrote:last year we were saying that we needed a big prop we got Watts a very good signing, this year most of us think that a big center should be on the clubs shopping list, fill this and next year with any luck with injuries I can see us in the top four once again
Top 4 should be absolute minimum we aim for
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Oct 2018, 10:31

surely there as to be some forward planning everyone knows what the cap is, admitted z.h threw a spanner in the works but you dont go thru three parts of the season before you sign a loan fullback
it was clear webster was coming to the end of his time what was the thinking on who would replace him i think we have a kind of scattergun approach minikin might be good enough to play centre if that fails we could try foster failing that we could put wardle there and so on and so on
we need to start acting like a top four club with the signings we make and not reach a point where we dont have a starting centre for next year and are looking at any tom dick or harry we can fit under the cap
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Oct 2018, 10:33

You do if there’s no one available that fits in with the culture, is affordable and has the ability to fit in with our style of play.

You can’t sign anyone on a whim just to placate fans. I’d rather the club take their time and recruit well, not for the sake of it.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 15 Oct 2018, 11:02

tigerfeat wrote:I can only imagine when Ellis sat down to sign his contract we thought it said one year not three then it was too late to change once he signed ...No seriously embarrising tho
When we signed ellis on 3year deal we only had gale n Trueman in the halfs as roberts was down as the new full back n assuming powell didn't think Trueman would of been ready until next season.
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 15 Oct 2018, 11:09

I said yesterday don't sign anybody for the sake of it wait until the right person comes along and play a youngster if you have to but there as to be some clear thinking too which ever way you look at it with Ellis he's done exactly what it said on the tin and were apparently looking to get shut one year into a three year deal
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Oct 2018, 11:16

We don’t know if there’s any truth to that. For me, Ellis a solid, reliable back-up and not a quota player whereas Roberts is. Roberts is also OOC with no guarantee of getting a deal like he got here. If there’s a chance that someone else may offer him one last pay day then it may work in both parties’ favour for him to explore opportunities.

Either way we have a spine now of Mata’utia, Trueman, Gale, McShane, Milner. That’s the key part sorted for the next few years. Just got to adapt and build around that.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 15 Oct 2018, 11:23

tigerfeat wrote:I said yesterday don't sign anybody for the sake of it wait until the right person comes along and play a youngster if you have to but there as to be some clear thinking too which ever way you look at it with Ellis he's done exactly what it said on the tin and were apparently looking to get shut one year into a three year deal
Regarding Ellis, he was more than likely brought in to start at half back this year alongside Gale. Roberts was given the fullback spot and the club probably thought he’d make the position his own, meaning that there was a spot in the halves available. Then you factor in Trueman, who was probably never even in DP’s plans for this year and was close to going out on loan, until he had that stormer against Leeds at Elland Road and he’s not looked back since.

Trueman as well and truly earned that 6 shirt for 2019 as far as I’m concerned. Roberts, although he’s 32/33, is still a better option to have than Ellis, plus Benny can cover carious positions if need be, a pretty useful utility player to have. I know he’s missed some game time this year, but he’s helped us out when the injuries out and filled in at key positions, positions Ellis couldn’t.

Ellis probably isn’t on a whack, but if the club can take his wage off the cap and put it towards a centre perhaps then it makes sense. For me, Ellis is the 4th choice half back at the club.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 15 Oct 2018, 11:28

Roberts is probably on double the salary this year of Ellis. That plus any space left, could get us two decent players.