Daryl Powell

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
init
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Daryl Powell

Post by init » 06 Oct 2018, 10:09

A lot calmer now.......

DP is a great coach but his record in big games is poor

However without him we would not be a set of supporters so gutted at losing in a grand final and semi final....we have come that far under him it is incredible.

As he said in his post match interview we are not mentally strong enough in big games...he thought after last year we had learnt to cope better....obviously not .... he will focus on this for next season....I do beleive DP needs the assistance of some one who can alter the mindset for play off rugby.

He has turned us into an established top four club....has changed us into a strong balanced league team....i beleive he will fix this last piece of the jigsaw puzzle....snd make us a strong playoff team.

Dont for one second think he has taken us far enough....

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 06 Oct 2018, 10:13

RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote:
Tamworth Tiger wrote:Can’t judge coaches just on losing big games. So many good ones don’t even get to big games.
You have to be in the top 8 to realistically compete. What is the lowest we have finished under Powell. In that period how many clubs had a similar top 6 never mind top 8 record?
How many Grand Finals have Saints made in that period? How many clubs I wonder would snap our hands off to get Powell as their coach?
How many of our squad would have been so keen to join us without our current coaching team?
Would we still have a team to follow in the top flight without him?
Would our financial position have meant we wouldn’t have existed at all?
Would we have won our first top flight trophy of the Super League era or finished top for the oneand only time in our history.
I know there are a lot of people on here much cleverer than me ( possibly not all Cas fans obviously) so any help with answering these questions would be gratefully received.
In the meantime my humble attempt in answering the exam question is that no I don’t think Powell has taken us as far as he can, and yes I do think that he and the team can learn from the experience and take us forward at least as successfully as any other available coach
Hard to swallow as Powell got us where we are in many ways. Big game failings are so disappointing. It's not the losing that's the issue. Someone has to lose. It's the manner of performance. What is he saying to them?
Wane seems to have the entire 17 chomping at the bit, so fired up. We look soft at times. Both tries last night were awful to concede in a semi. Where's the next level of intensity? We look well short.
Out of interest: Saints since 2009 in semi finals and finals: lost 16. Won 1.
That is interesting. Didn’t Leeds have a shocking Cup Final record too until they beat us in 2014?

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 06 Oct 2018, 10:14

init wrote:A lot calmer now.......

DP is a great coach but his record in big games is poor

However without him we would not be a set of supporters so gutted at losing in a grand final and semi final....we have come that far under him it is incredible.

As he said in his post match interview we are not mentally strong enough in big games...he thought after last year we had learnt to cope better....obviously not .... he will focus on this for next season....I do beleive DP needs the assistance of some one who can alter the mindset for play off rugby

He has turned us into an established top four club....has changed us into a strong balanced league team....i beleive he will fix this last piece of the jigsaw puzzle....snd make us a strong playoff team.

Dont for one second think he has taken us far enough....
Agree with that. A+ answer!
Last edited by Tamworth Tiger on 06 Oct 2018, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 06 Oct 2018, 10:20

HuddsTigers wrote:You can’t do nothing in attack if you don’t have a platform. The only one trying to give us go forward was Watts with Clark adding to that for his small stint.

Millo offers very little in attack any more given he now plays as an extra pivot. He doesn’t take the ball in, he isn’t going to punch holes and he’s lost his offloading game. He’s lost what made him and Lynch great impact players/gamechangers.

Massey gets on his front but him and Milner don’t give us the ability to batter Wigan and knock them back. JSL looked absolutely knackered as soon as he stepped on to the turf. His first carry he looked like he could barely run.

And our two second towers are too honest - they don’t have any grunt. McMeeken for his size should be a real threat yet seems to struggle.

You could say we missed Moors and Cook last night but we either need to start whipping Springer and Maher into shape or shipping them out to bring in another first grade prop.

Our problems started and existed with the forwards last night. Our backs got nothing and when they did it was out of blind panic forcing the ball.
good sum up that lad about nailed it but also desperately need two more centre's and another winger we pace clair is reliably standard but no pace. think we also missed trueman Roberts is done for me think even ellis would have done more then him last night specially kicking near line shenton should be there for cover only next not get rid totaly

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 06 Oct 2018, 11:34

Tamworth Tiger wrote:
RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote:
Tamworth Tiger wrote:Can’t judge coaches just on losing big games. So many good ones don’t even get to big games.
You have to be in the top 8 to realistically compete. What is the lowest we have finished under Powell. In that period how many clubs had a similar top 6 never mind top 8 record?
How many Grand Finals have Saints made in that period? How many clubs I wonder would snap our hands off to get Powell as their coach?
How many of our squad would have been so keen to join us without our current coaching team?
Would we still have a team to follow in the top flight without him?
Would our financial position have meant we wouldn’t have existed at all?
Would we have won our first top flight trophy of the Super League era or finished top for the oneand only time in our history.
I know there are a lot of people on here much cleverer than me ( possibly not all Cas fans obviously) so any help with answering these questions would be gratefully received.
In the meantime my humble attempt in answering the exam question is that no I don’t think Powell has taken us as far as he can, and yes I do think that he and the team can learn from the experience and take us forward at least as successfully as any other available coach
Hard to swallow as Powell got us where we are in many ways. Big game failings are so disappointing. It's not the losing that's the issue. Someone has to lose. It's the manner of performance. What is he saying to them?
Wane seems to have the entire 17 chomping at the bit, so fired up. We look soft at times. Both tries last night were awful to concede in a semi. Where's the next level of intensity? We look well short.
Out of interest: Saints since 2009 in semi finals and finals: lost 16. Won 1.
That is interesting. Didn’t Leeds have a shocking Cup Final record too until they beat us in 2014?
Actually got stats wrong for Saints.
Should say since 2009 they have won one final from both comps. Lost in 3.
Lost 5 CC semis. Won 0.
Lost 6 play off semis. Won 4.

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 06 Oct 2018, 11:50

Wane said something in his press conference that is key to their preparation

"I drum it into the players and will again this week"

It clearly works....

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 06 Oct 2018, 11:54

Different code but when asked what one thing kept the all backs at the pinnacle of the sport for so long and made them feared by all other nations, the all time great said "the answer is simple - we fear losing - we wouldn't be able to look our fore fathers in the eye"

Wane has a similar approach - it's win at all costs. It's what sport is about - it's why we keep score

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Oct 2018, 11:55

If I were a pie eater i wouldn't want wane to be leaving and I know some say boring rugby and worse but he wins the big games end of ...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 06 Oct 2018, 11:58

tigerfeat wrote:If I were a pie eater i wouldn't want wane to be leaving and I know some say boring rugby and worse but he wins the big games end of ...
Yep - look at how many local lads he has brought through as well - you can't ask for much more from a coach....

Outlaw13

Post by Outlaw13 » 06 Oct 2018, 11:59

For me Luke Gale has to take most of the blame for the performance last night. Unfortunately he lacks the emotional maturity to handle big games. Last night rather than guiding his players he spent way too much time arguing with the referee and getting drawn into scuffles. He was very close to being binned at one point.
I think we would have done better without him.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 06 Oct 2018, 12:05

ERG2012 wrote:Wane said something in his press conference that is key to their preparation

"I drum it into the players and will again this week"

It clearly works....
Thats what it takes.
Can’t see Daryl being as aggressive as wane.

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 06 Oct 2018, 12:08

powell is still the man for me.with all the injuries etc I think we did amazing to finish in the playoffs.i can't remember a game this season where we matched last seasons highs and hopefully with just a couple of replacements and a bit of better luck with injuries we will be a force next year.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Oct 2018, 13:08

If minikin was fit to play id find it astonishing that Clare was picked over him on grounds I presume he's played most of season and not done too bad
Vince Lombardi

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 06 Oct 2018, 13:19

Minikin was injured apparently, hamstring I think.

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 06 Oct 2018, 13:30

Tiger53 wrote:Minikin was injured apparently, hamstring I think.
We must have broken some kind of record for the highest number of hamstring injuries in a season.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Oct 2018, 13:42

We lost truey moors minikin shenny wasn't right not sure about a couple more either week before big game you couldn't make it up
Vince Lombardi

Tigerg
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigerg » 06 Oct 2018, 13:47

For me what lets us down is definitely our mental approach in these big games. I think it’s great how close knit the squad is and how much they all integrate with each other away from rugby but there definitely needs to be a change in their attitude next season to get us past this barrier. Agreeing with what someone else said earlier, I think this bunch need a gruelling pre season in the cold British weather, really pushed to their limits. Make them experience real mental toughness and bring the squad even closer but with more of an edge to them. I think that along with 2/3 quality signings and we will be far better prepared for these knockout games next year.

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 06 Oct 2018, 15:30

SuffolkTiger wrote:Different code but when asked what one thing kept the all backs at the pinnacle of the sport for so long and made them feared by all other nations, the all time great said "the answer is simple - we fear losing - we wouldn't be able to look our fore fathers in the eye"
I think the reason was simply they were better than everyone else. Lets not start searching around for naff corporate motivational quotes the kind that's hung on the wall of every irritating middle manager.

Has Daryl Powell taken us as far as we can go? Maybe, but that's probably a lot further than anyone else can. Yes he's made mistakes but losing him would be a disaster for our club.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 06 Oct 2018, 16:08

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 06 Oct 2018, 16:39

I think our biggest problem leading up to these big games is we seem to change all the preparations for the game, rather than just sticking to the tried and tested methods that serve us well for the rest of the year. I don’t see any point in staying in a hotel the day before where all the lads are together all night and the next day clicking there heels probably with too much nervous energy bouncing about off each other. Surely they’d be better staying with their families going about normal routines and try and take the emotion out of the occasion. Maybe we just need more calm about the place leading up to these big games. I heard that even in training both last year and this that players were making uncharacteristic errors as nerves got the better of them. If we can sort this out we’ll win the treble next year :D