Daryl Powell

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Daryl Powell

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Oct 2018, 13:42

We lost truey moors minikin shenny wasn't right not sure about a couple more either week before big game you couldn't make it up
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tigerg
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigerg » 06 Oct 2018, 13:47

For me what lets us down is definitely our mental approach in these big games. I think it’s great how close knit the squad is and how much they all integrate with each other away from rugby but there definitely needs to be a change in their attitude next season to get us past this barrier. Agreeing with what someone else said earlier, I think this bunch need a gruelling pre season in the cold British weather, really pushed to their limits. Make them experience real mental toughness and bring the squad even closer but with more of an edge to them. I think that along with 2/3 quality signings and we will be far better prepared for these knockout games next year.

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 06 Oct 2018, 15:30

SuffolkTiger wrote:Different code but when asked what one thing kept the all backs at the pinnacle of the sport for so long and made them feared by all other nations, the all time great said "the answer is simple - we fear losing - we wouldn't be able to look our fore fathers in the eye"
I think the reason was simply they were better than everyone else. Lets not start searching around for naff corporate motivational quotes the kind that's hung on the wall of every irritating middle manager.

Has Daryl Powell taken us as far as we can go? Maybe, but that's probably a lot further than anyone else can. Yes he's made mistakes but losing him would be a disaster for our club.

yorky
Verified
League One Player
League One Player

Post by yorky » 06 Oct 2018, 16:08

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 06 Oct 2018, 16:39

I think our biggest problem leading up to these big games is we seem to change all the preparations for the game, rather than just sticking to the tried and tested methods that serve us well for the rest of the year. I don’t see any point in staying in a hotel the day before where all the lads are together all night and the next day clicking there heels probably with too much nervous energy bouncing about off each other. Surely they’d be better staying with their families going about normal routines and try and take the emotion out of the occasion. Maybe we just need more calm about the place leading up to these big games. I heard that even in training both last year and this that players were making uncharacteristic errors as nerves got the better of them. If we can sort this out we’ll win the treble next year :D

classysupercas3
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classysupercas3 » 06 Oct 2018, 16:40

flow wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:You can’t do nothing in attack if you don’t have a platform. The only one trying to give us go forward was Watts with Clark adding to that for his small stint.

Millo offers very little in attack any more given he now plays as an extra pivot. He doesn’t take the ball in, he isn’t going to punch holes and he’s lost his offloading game. He’s lost what made him and Lynch great impact players/gamechangers.

Massey gets on his front but him and Milner don’t give us the ability to batter Wigan and knock them back. JSL looked absolutely knackered as soon as he stepped on to the turf. His first carry he looked like he could barely run.

And our two second towers are too honest - they don’t have any grunt. McMeeken for his size should be a real threat yet seems to struggle.

You could say we missed Moors and Cook last night but we either need to start whipping Springer and Maher into shape or shipping them out to bring in another first grade prop.

Our problems started and existed with the forwards last night. Our backs got nothing and when they did it was out of blind panic forcing the ball.
good sum up that lad about nailed it but also desperately need two more centre's and another winger we pace clair is reliably standard but no pace. think we also missed trueman Roberts is done for me think even ellis would have done more then him last night specially kicking near line shenton should be there for cover only next not get rid totaly
Agree about Ellis,and Shenton and the need for centres and winger

Fryston Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Fryston Tiger » 06 Oct 2018, 17:05

Whether its the Coach, the players, the coaching or whatever...im not really bothered to be honest atm. I just want us to stop choking in the big matches.
Catalans away when going for the LLS....choked.
Challenge Cup Final v Leeds...choked.
Last Year's Grand Final...choked.
Last night...choked.
Now, there's reasons for all those defeats but the main one is that we didn't turn up when it mattered. DP and James Clare have touched on this after last night and mentioned the mentality of the players so if thats the problem then get someone in to sort it.
I thought after winning that Semi against Saints last season that we had turned a corner....we havent.
If its the same players not turning up in the big games then we have to find a way to get rid and bring someone else in. An example of this, imo, would be to get Josh Drinkwater in, who i believe is available after Catalans decided to part with him and sign Matty Smith instead. He's proven he can step up and make a difference when under pressure.
I will say that DP is the man to lead us at this time, but the more we choke in the big ones it is inevitable that patience will run-out eventually.
I do agree with those who say that we need to stop signing projects and get some real top players in. Obviously this costs but if it means running a smaller squad with a lot more quality...then so be it. That means running a reserve side, in case we have an injury list like this years to provide cover.
Finally, going back to recruitment, we are desperate for size and pace in our centres for next season....whether we get it is another thing.......

Frankas
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Frankas » 06 Oct 2018, 17:18

He is the best coach in SL, we don't have the team full of internationals, and marquee players from overseas, we have a team of what some would say project players from the lower teams, and a good few players from our academe, who under a different coach were plodders and just average players.Now we have three player in the England squad, and a couple of others are unlucky not to be selected, we have a couple in the Knights squad, and Powell he has done that without breaking the bank , unlike others coaches.

Under Darrell Powell, we have got a team who play to their full potential and more, other teams with the same amount of injury's to Cas have fallen by the wayside, because they couldn't cope. With the injury's. I would have thought we would be scrapping for a top eight finish, but we didn't we finished third, to a very strong Saints and Wigan.

In my opinion what means very little, I would like to see Powell at Cas for another five years

SeniorMoors

Post by SeniorMoors » 06 Oct 2018, 17:44

The fact we're now fighting for major honours every season is down to DP - his coaching, recruitment and bringing young players through. I hope he stays on as I really believe he can win a major trophy with us.
We just have to get better during big games. Last night was poor - just like the 2017 GF. We dropped so much ball and took ridiculous risks whenever we got close to their line (kicking early, going for broke on the first or second play, etc.). We lack composure, game management and 'smarts' in the big games. Frankly, our play in Wigan's 20 was pathetic. We barely threatened all night.
Overall, it's been a weird season. Even when we had winning runs we were never convincing. Our best win of the season was Warrington away when we had an injury crisis. I'm still not sure how we won that game!
I felt we often played teams at good times for us...e.g. Hull after they'd been to Australia, Wigan when they had players on international duty, Warrington a week before the Cup final and Catalans the week after. Generally, we won the games we should have won (Hull KR at home being the main exception). Saints made us look ordinary every time we played them. Wigan were too good for us bar the international break game. Catalans smashed us at their place. Huddersfield hammered us when they hit some form before the Super 8s.
Recruitment-wise, I'd love us to sign a top quality centre. Not sure if Minikin is the answer. Mata'tuia could play there but having solved the full back issue I wouldn't want him moving positions. Shenton looks like he only has one year left. Foster is another option, but I think he's a better second row or loose forward. Foster is the type who could play anywhere and do a good job though.

What I'm really looking forward to is getting a full squad back and putting four forwards on the bench - a tactic which worked really well for us in 2017.

2019 team

1. Mata'tuia (excellent at FB; could play centre, but only if we sign a quality FB)
2. Minikin (ideally I'd love us to sign a quality winger)
3. New signing (Foster or Mata'tuia possibles)
4. Shenton (needs a good pre-season)
5. Eden
6. Trueman (one of the first names on the teamsheet now)
7. Gale (needs a good pre-season)
8. Watts
9. McShane
10. Millington
11. Holmes
12. McMeeken
13. Milner

Moors
Foster
Cook
JSL
Massey
Clark (would love to see him play more minutes)
Wardle (like his versatility - need to get him properly fit. Good option for the bench)
Roberts (back-up)
Ellis (back-up)
Clare (back-up)

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Oct 2018, 17:49

Part of the problem is blaming what time we set off for games what type of hotel were staying in wether it's started to rain that shows to me people looking for a excuse for another poor performance in a big game and lacking some mental toughness
Vince Lombardi

Casmoley
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Casmoley » 06 Oct 2018, 17:52

blame them all eating Jesses wife's cakes! We were sluggish!

Robbo
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Robbo » 06 Oct 2018, 17:53

Fryston I agree.

However lets add in the mix there have been games this year that I watched where we have not given a good account of ourselves.
Last week and V HKR to name 2.

I feel hurt that the players did not give 100% in such an important match.
5000 people made a huge effort like we did last October but it was not reciprocated.

Of course we will lose a game of two and I don't mind if we give it our best shot.

Last night from the coaching side it looked to me like one plan and when that failed we had no plan B.
You could see the tactics being used such as slowing us down at the play but we didn't do anything to change it.

It was not the best Wigan team ever they were there to be taken.

So going forward.
The TOP 4 will probably never be so easy.
Leeds out of the running/Hull out both big threats when they turn the corner.

We have lacked intensity in the final 7 games maybe because our spot was just about there before we started.
We blew our chance of the top 2 by giving Wigan 20 start ( at least that day we fought back).
Catalan and Warrington both showed how to perform in a big match situation. Of course Warrington had to lose the first to get the second.

We need some players and possibly some help on the Phycology side.

Robbo
Truth is always best !

yorkie1bn
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by yorkie1bn » 06 Oct 2018, 19:04

Tigerg wrote:For me what lets us down is definitely our mental approach in these big games. I think it’s great how close knit the squad is and how much they all integrate with each other away from rugby but there definitely needs to be a change in their attitude next season to get us past this barrier. Agreeing with what someone else said earlier, I think this bunch need a gruelling pre season in the cold British weather, really pushed to their limits. Make them experience real mental toughness and bring the squad even closer but with more of an edge to them. I think that along with 2/3 quality signings and we will be far better prepared for these knockout games next year.
Two weeks on brecon with the regiment should do it.

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 06 Oct 2018, 19:18

Yorkie1bn

110% nail on the head
Or 2 weeks at Lympstone

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 06 Oct 2018, 19:34

Stopped in a hotel night before Saints and last nights game. Lads too busy eating cake and playing Fortnite by looks of Instagram.

At least they have all had a good booze up today aye.

braytontiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by braytontiger » 06 Oct 2018, 19:48

Swagger wrote:Stopped in a hotel night before Saints and last nights game. Lads too busy eating cake and playing Fortnite by looks of Instagram.

At least they have all had a good booze up today aye.
Every time our lads go away they reward us with our worst performances

Lanzarote-get thumped at saints
Catalan 3 nights away-spanked with an awful performance
Manchester-saints again showed nothing and pointless
Manchester-semi final and again never looked like scoring although we hung longer than our ball play should have allowed.

Clearly when we break our normal routine we under perform the record speaks for itself.that said its the injuries that have hampered us massively over the year. I'm pretty sure we were very much patched up and down to whoever is fit plays last night and it showed. Maybe we didn't have the fight in us to have that final push to get us where we want to be.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 06 Oct 2018, 20:00

I think a few were patched up yesterday.
Shenton, gale, Holmes, Jesse.

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 06 Oct 2018, 20:14

old cas lass wrote:I think a few were patched up yesterday.
its the end of s long season, do you think all the Wigan players were 100%?

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 06 Oct 2018, 20:24

alftupper wrote:
old cas lass wrote:I think a few were patched up yesterday.
its the end of s long season, do you think all the Wigan players were 100%?
Why not?id say maybe Farrell manfredi were under cooked for Wigan as oppose to 4/5 of ours plus moors and trueman missing

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 06 Oct 2018, 20:47

The mental toughness should come from people calling you a choker and not wanting to go through the same again next time your in a big match if you don't have that inside you no guru or navy assault course is going to put it there
Vince Lombardi