Richard Wright

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Richard Wright

Post by tallguyx » 03 Oct 2018, 15:30

HuddsTigers wrote:Of course everyone was optimistic at the start (who wouldn't be?!). However, a lot of us grew skeptical as time went on.
Not everyone. My dad straight away had him worked out, partly because we knew he buggerall cash!! I remember him getting super defensive when we quizzed him once about what it was he actually did.

Casmania
Verified

Post by Casmania » 03 Oct 2018, 16:37

tallguyx wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:Of course everyone was optimistic at the start (who wouldn't be?!). However, a lot of us grew skeptical as time went on.
Not everyone. My dad straight away had him worked out, partly because we knew he buggerall cash!! I remember him getting super defensive when we quizzed him once about what it was he actually did.
On the data of RW, the club was always £300-£400k short of the salary cap, this is not the case now due to the increase in central funding via the uprated sky TV deal. In addition, £300k had to be found to fund the second team.

MY CLUB. MY CAS

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 03 Oct 2018, 16:56

You say optimistic, I say naive and gullible.

A word of advice, if a Nigerian gentlemen ever contacts you with the promise of a large deposit into your bank account don’t give him your sort code and account number. :lol:

By the way didn’t Faisal mention he would be opening a club shop in Dubai or somewhere fairly early on... if I remember rightly everyone got very excited about that. Couldn’t make it up... oh sorry he did

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 03 Oct 2018, 17:25

There's a material difference between someone sponsoring a club especially if cash trades hands and fans believing that person has the club's interest at heart, and someone phishing you via email.

At the end of the day, it wasn't just us but Fax, Fev, Cas, Wigan and the RFL who had him as a sponsor at some point. It wasn't naive to trust someone and believe in their good intentions from the start. The good thing is that we never took the loan he offered to us.
Last edited by HuddsTigers on 03 Oct 2018, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 03 Oct 2018, 17:32

I remember the rugby league having him at the world club challenge I think it was or some big game handing out the medals wearing his cas scarf :)
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 03 Oct 2018, 17:52

HuddsTigers wrote:There's a material difference between someone sponsoring a club especially if cash trades hands and fans believing that person has the club's interest at heart, and someone phishing you via email.

At the end of the day, it wasn't just us but Fax, Fev, Cas, Wigan and the RFL who had him as a sponsor at some point. It wasn't naive to trust someone and believe in their good intentions from the start. The good thing is that we never took the loan he offered to us.
How is it that different. Both promise you the world and give you nothing... it was incredibly naive it reminded me at the time of the monorail salesman in the Simpson’s. Just went from town to town after appearing from nowhere.

He was a self publicist that had a business that did tax avoidance schemes and dodgy currency conversions.

I liked how he called himself the “tiger woods of business”

We had a very lucky escape.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 03 Oct 2018, 18:11

I never understood how featherstone welcomed him as a saviour when it was pretty clear by then what his game was
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 03 Oct 2018, 18:15

tallguyx wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:There's a material difference between someone sponsoring a club especially if cash trades hands and fans believing that person has the club's interest at heart, and someone phishing you via email.

How is it that different. Both promise you the world and give you nothing... it was incredibly naive it reminded me at the time of the monorail salesman in the Simpson’s. Just went from town to town after appearing from nowhere.

He was a self publicist that had a business that did tax avoidance schemes and dodgy currency conversions.

I liked how he called himself the “tiger woods of business”

We had a very lucky escape.

Because the reality is that he clearly gave us something to accept him as a sponsor in the first place (e.g. a financial transaction took place). What happened thereafter is a different matter.

Someone who is phishing doesn't give you anything - they try to take your money and run.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 03 Oct 2018, 20:07

And this is where people like RW were gullible enough to believe a con man. As stated it wasn’t just him.

As for all the nice guy approachable best interests at heart comments, they were the reasons he failed. Nobody is questioning what he was like as a person or how much he cared. His record was abysmal and he kept his job way too long.

Jack Fulton was a bit soft in leaving things as long as he did in hindsight and his trust/ friendship was misplaced in the end.

Both might have been nice guys and both must have cared about Cas, especially Jack, but maybe this was partly why we failed?

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 03 Oct 2018, 20:21

Better than Doctor Death letting all our good players go to South Queens land for nothing. The year after we actually won something!

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 03 Oct 2018, 20:35

I think you might find that it was Craig Poskitt that introduced the fake sheik. Also, who do you think was at Featherstone and Halifax. You work it out.

Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 03 Oct 2018, 21:04

Another wide boy that couldn’t deliver. Knew sod all about the game either.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 03 Oct 2018, 21:53

Spanishtiger wrote:Better than Doctor Death letting all our good players go to South Queens land for nothing. The year after we actually won something!
I don’t understand this post. Can you explain?

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 03 Oct 2018, 22:58

Tiger53 wrote:I think you might find that it was Craig Poskitt that introduced the fake sheik. Also, who do you think was at Featherstone and Halifax. You work it out.
Poskitt ther too
Audacter Et Sincere

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 03 Oct 2018, 23:56

http://feisal.co.uk/

Still shystering.

Now a "motivational speaker" :lol:

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 04 Oct 2018, 01:07

Tamworth Tiger wrote:
Spanishtiger wrote:Better than Doctor Death letting all our good players go to South Queens land for nothing. The year after we actually won something!
Dr. Death was our name for C. E. Ashton, otherwise known as Eddie. Funeral Director by trade and in his spare time the chairman who let St Jon Ellis, Mike Ford, Tony Kemp, Richie Blackmore etc leave and replaced them with the likes of. Adrian Flynn, Richard Goddard and Barry Eaton. In 94/95 just after we beat the pies 33-2 in the regal final. Also finished third in the league, got to CC semi and Premiership final losing both to said pies. If ever there was a moment to kick on instead of cash in that was indeed the moment

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 04 Oct 2018, 07:43

Spanishtiger wrote:
Tamworth Tiger wrote:
Dr. Death was our name for C. E. Ashton, otherwise known as Eddie. Funeral Director by trade and in his spare time the chairman who let St Jon Ellis, Mike Ford, Tony Kemp, Richie Blackmore etc leave and replaced them with the likes of. Adrian Flynn, Richard Goddard and Barry Eaton. In 94/95 just after we beat the pies 33-2 in the regal final. Also finished third in the league, got to CC semi and Premiership final losing both to said pies. If ever there was a moment to kick on instead of cash in that was indeed the moment
I was only young at the time but wasn’t it Eddie Ashton who was happy to lead us into merger with Wakefield and fev?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 04 Oct 2018, 07:58

We've had some dodgy characters in positions of power down the years at our club ...miracle were where we are today
Vince Lombardi

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 04 Oct 2018, 09:37

I seem to remember David Poulter being willing to loosen the purse strings; Nikau wages, Crooks & Steadman, Ford & Ellis, Morrison & Bragger (!) £500k alone. Not sure what the wages were in those days but seem to remember 40k pa being the higher rate commanded by 3 of those guys.

Not sure if Ashton was having to clear the debts brought on my poulters spending, but, I’ve heard horrendous things about him, nothing so much as claiming the road near his chapel of rest in glasshoughton is ‘his’? :D am I right?
Audacter Et Sincere

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 04 Oct 2018, 09:38

And I’m thoroughly embarrassed by my ‘messiah’ approach to Faisal [REMOVED] head. What a joke. Seems like poskitt was taken in by him too,
Audacter Et Sincere