Jon Wells

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Jon Wells

Post by mart0042 » 26 Sep 2018, 10:20

I couldn't find a thread but there seems to be a bit of wellsy bashing in social media at the moment.

The forty 20 podcast didn't care much for him calling for a team to keep the pressure on rather than going for 2.

He then had been bashed for highlighting foul play during commentary.

I personally think he gives an unbiased view and tells them how he sees it. He is articulate and personable. Is it time for him to ditch sky or is it just first season teething troubles? Or are people being too defensive off their own team and just like to Cas bash, as we seem to have gone from everybody's second team to disliked ( probably now due to us being an actual threat to the big 4/5 teams)?

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Re: Jon Wells

Post by tigerfeat » 26 Sep 2018, 10:57

World's gone mad he suggested the challange by a saints player can't remember who it was now on a warrington player wasn't a accident and he knew what he was doing
I tend to agree with him but he's paid to give a opinion either way conspiracy theorists say he's got a hidden agenda bolony I say
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Dazzyb
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dazzyb » 26 Sep 2018, 11:39

Another phill Clarke we do not need !! I think the guys mint, he’s intelligent and articulate, something that the club needs to progress to the next level . On another note I find the hypocracy from some hilarious. There so many player bashing threads on here but for someone who’s directly linked with the club shares and opinion and he gets a bashing lol

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 26 Sep 2018, 13:05

One things for sure, if it came to sky or Cas, he’d have to choose sky.
Audacter Et Sincere

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 26 Sep 2018, 13:20

Mysterio wrote:One things for sure, if it came to sky or Cas, he’d have to choose sky.
Would it? Can't imagine him getting paid that much for doing 2/3 games a week as a summariser?

Could quit Sky and go full-time at Cas instead of part-time.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Visitor

Post by Visitor » 26 Sep 2018, 13:51

A couple of weeks ago he berated Jonny Lomax for falling into a tackle, then with an almost identical incident against Warrington he claimed Lees was negligent or did it on purpose and with his previous he’s lucky to get away with it.

Cue Saints fans accusing him of hypocrisy, and trying to influence the disciplinary panel re:- Lees whilst pointing out that if he can’t be impartial on SKY whilst in the employ of a club (that could gain an advantage by his very loud bleating about opposition players) he should choose one job instead of the other.

I like his commentary and analysis personally but now he’s at Cas he’s become one eyed this season.......

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 26 Sep 2018, 14:01

I can see people saying there might be a conflict of interest but I just think he's giving a honest opinion not trying to help get saints players banned
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

flood light tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flood light tiger » 26 Sep 2018, 14:40

I think he gives an honest opinion and true reflections of the game, so if people don't like it tough titty.

Bolton-tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bolton-tiger » 26 Sep 2018, 14:52

Visitor wrote:A couple of weeks ago he berated Jonny Lomax for falling into a tackle, then with an almost identical incident against Warrington he claimed Lees was negligent or did it on purpose and with his previous he’s lucky to get away with it.

Cue Saints fans accusing him of hypocrisy, and trying to influence the disciplinary panel re:- Lees whilst pointing out that if he can’t be impartial on SKY whilst in the employ of a club (that could gain an advantage by his very loud bleating about opposition players) he should choose one job instead of the other.

I like his commentary and analysis personally but now he’s at Cas he’s become one eyed this season.......

Jon always gives a fair and accurate view on everything just like brian carney who i think asks questions no one else dares to ask.unlike phil clark when it comes to wigan he carnt get any more biased but yet hes still able to do the commantry for their games and nothing gets said when hes all one sided and darnt say anything bad against them.its jons opinion and he calls it as he sees it

Visitor

Post by Visitor » 26 Sep 2018, 15:16

He’s not in the same league as Clarke, but If Wells had given the same opinion both times I don’t think there’s be an argument, but when Lomax has the same incident it was Wells opinion that it was because because he fell into the tackle, whereas when the warrington player fell into Lees, in Wells’ opinion It was lees who was at fault.......

The reality is that the disciplinary took no action against any player in either team, but Sky commentary keep bringing things up to create controversy isn’t a new thing (not that I’m accusing Wells of that, just to point out why people think he’s got an agenda, whether he has or not!)

Ladytiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Ladytiger » 26 Sep 2018, 18:09

He’s not in the same league as Phil Clarke don’t make me laugh. No Jon wells is in a different league altogether he speaks with intelligence tells the game how it is and doesn’t where his rose tinted glasses unlike Clarke. Jon wells and Brian Carney are a breathe of fresh air

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 26 Sep 2018, 18:59

Visitor wrote:A couple of weeks ago he berated Jonny Lomax for falling into a tackle, then with an almost identical incident against Warrington he claimed Lees was negligent or did it on purpose and with his previous he’s lucky to get away with it.

Phil Clarke is woeful at times. Makes some ludicrous statements.

SFOtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SFOtiger » 26 Sep 2018, 19:17

Unfortunatley for Jon, you don’t need to a even be biased to be accused of it. I’ve had first hand experience of this. Jon has a conflict of interest, and no matter how he conducts himself when commentating on Cas games, he will be perceived as biased due to that conflict of interest.

Not sure how much it matters though tbh. Everyone knows that Barry is a Leeds fan, etc.

Time will tell. I like hearing his insight so hope he can stick around on Sky.

The other thing is, I hope his “insight” into Cas’ moves are not handing rival coaches inside info on a platter?

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 26 Sep 2018, 22:02

SFOtiger wrote:Unfortunatley for Jon, you don’t need to a even be biased to be accused of it. I’ve had first hand experience of this. Jon has a conflict of interest, and no matter how he conducts himself when commentating on Cas games, he will be perceived as biased due to that conflict of interest.

Not sure how much it matters though tbh. Everyone knows that Barry is a Leeds fan, etc.

Time will tell. I like hearing his insight so hope he can stick around on Sky.

The other thing is, I hope his “insight” into Cas’ moves are not handing rival coaches inside info on a platter?
Exactly mate. Clarke Wigan etc.

SuffolkTiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by SuffolkTiger » 26 Sep 2018, 23:28

Ladytiger wrote:He’s not in the same league as Phil Clarke don’t make me laugh. No Jon wells is in a different league altogether he speaks with intelligence tells the game how it is and doesn’t where his rose tinted glasses unlike Clarke. Jon wells and Brian Carney are a breathe of fresh air
I just wish BC round stop shouting and speak normally instead. It would help him cut down on the mispronunciations that he is very prone to.

He's trying too hard...

leviathon87

Post by leviathon87 » 27 Sep 2018, 14:50

I genuinely think BC is just so excited to do something he loves that hes so desperate to get his point across he kind of fluffs some words

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 27 Sep 2018, 22:03

HuddsTigers wrote:
Mysterio wrote:One things for sure, if it came to sky or Cas, he’d have to choose sky.
Would it? Can't imagine him getting paid that much for doing 2/3 games a week as a summariser?

Could quit Sky and go full-time at Cas instead of part-time.
I’d be shocked if he chose Cas over Sky & career there/in media. Regardless of salary to a certain extent really.
Audacter Et Sincere

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 28 Sep 2018, 07:37

Ladytiger wrote:He’s not in the same league as Phil Clarke don’t make me laugh. No Jon wells is in a different league altogether he speaks with intelligence tells the game how it is and doesn’t where his rose tinted glasses unlike Clarke. Jon wells and Brian Carney are a breathe of fresh air
Exactly. He’s not in the same league as Clarke. He’s in a much higher one!

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 28 Sep 2018, 11:41

I love the piece at the end with the player taking rugby moves and thoughts. As a coach and dad to players you can take so much from it.

Visitor

Post by Visitor » 28 Sep 2018, 16:34

I think you’ve misunderstood massively.

Clarke is biased massively towards Wigan and against Saints.

As I said, Wells isn’t in his league when I was responding to the comment above me from Bolton-tiger, about Clarke’s bias.

I wasn’t saying he isn’t in his league when it comes to analysis, I find them both quite erudite.