come on ye saints

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: come on ye saints

Post by CasRus » 19 Jul 2018, 22:03

Well tonights Saints Wigan game just about sums up the task in hand to win the grand final !

If St.Helens without Barba and to an extent Walmsley cannot be broken in defence and play at that high energy high speed frequency, we have to be absolutely at the very top end of our game just to beat them !

That was a super efficient display from them and Wigan weren't that bad even though they have a few key players missing - even they looked scary at times !

Over to you DP in working out how to break them down - even when the line was broken from both sides, the chase to tackle was astonishing - both are super fit teams !

St.Helens are the fastest speed of play team in the league this year which they have worked on in mimicking Cas of last year and I believe have now surpassed. Teams will need to notch up to another level to compete !

To me, at the moment it looks like a Saints v Wigan GF and hope DP has something to pull out of the bag ! Here's Hoping !

Swagger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Swagger » 19 Jul 2018, 23:28

CasRus wrote:

To me, at the moment it looks like a Saints v Wigan GF and hope DP has something to pull out of the bag ! Here's Hoping !

Wigan have a fight on their hands to not come 4th and play them in the Semi finals. If we keep winning and Warrington do that can easily happen.

If we come 2nd I think I would rather play Wigan at home in the semi. If we come 3rd I think I would rather travel to Warrington over Wigan.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 20 Jul 2018, 00:08

Swagger wrote:
CasRus wrote:

Wigan have a fight on their hands to not come 4th and play them in the Semi finals. If we keep winning and Warrington do that can easily happen.

If we come 2nd I think I would rather play Wigan at home in the semi. If we come 3rd I think I would rather travel to Warrington over Wigan.
All will be tough. Home obviously preferred but everyone of those teams would be a huge obstacle in a one off be all and end all knock game regardless of venue.

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 20 Jul 2018, 00:32

CasRus wrote:Well tonights Saints Wigan game just about sums up the task in hand to win the grand final !

If St.Helens without Barba and to an extent Walmsley cannot be broken in defence and play at that high energy high speed frequency, we have to be absolutely at the very top end of our game just to beat them !

That was a super efficient display from them and Wigan weren't that bad even though they have a few key players missing - even they looked scary at times !

Over to you DP in working out how to break them down - even when the line was broken from both sides, the chase to tackle was astonishing - both are super fit teams !

St.Helens are the fastest speed of play team in the league this year which they have worked on in mimicking Cas of last year and I believe have now surpassed. Teams will need to notch up to another level to compete !

Saints are all about Roby, he's the one that makes em tick
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 20 Jul 2018, 02:46

the machine wrote:
CasRus wrote:Well tonights Saints Wigan game just about sums up the task in hand to win the grand final !

No it is not all about Roby - I can name most of their team as it is being about and that makes them look formidable as there were some world class players playing world class moves at pace on show tonight for all to see and the whole team worked as one unit in defence and in tune with each other and it took something really special from Tomkins to put a score in as Wigan never got much of a sniff to score during most of that game. Roby I agree is indeed outstanding in both defence and attack and he has some motor on him and never seen him have a bad game so I can see why you say he makes them tick.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 20 Jul 2018, 02:56

I still think our exit from the cup will pay real dividends
Over the last few years whatever the form of the top sides prior to Wembley it has proved hard for them to keep momentum going on both fronts

the machine
Super League Player
Super League Player
Twitter: @dphartshorne

Post by the machine » 20 Jul 2018, 07:00

CasRus wrote:
the machine wrote:

No it is not all about Roby - I can name most of their team as it is being about and that makes them look formidable as there were some world class players playing world class moves at pace on show tonight for all to see and the whole team worked as one unit in defence and in tune with each other and it took something really special from Tomkins to put a score in as Wigan never got much of a sniff to score during most of that game. Roby I agree is indeed outstanding in both defence and attack and he has some motor on him and never seen him have a bad game so I can see why you say he makes them tick.
You can take Barba and Percival and Walmsley out and they still perform well, you take Roby out and they struggle in both attack and defence
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something, but I cannot accept not trying"

Michael Jordan

sparky49
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by sparky49 » 20 Jul 2018, 07:10

Have people forgotten that we went to Warrington then beat Wigan at home with 10 and 11 players from our starting 17 missing. No team will relish playing us when we have our players back and we have the motivation of making up for last year. If we win tonight we will be 2nd and this has been an injury ravaged season so far that is some achievement.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 20 Jul 2018, 07:20

WOW, what a game it was played like a state of origin match a credit to all involved , anyone who beat Saints this year will have to pull something special out of the bag, here is hoping its us in the final COME ON YE FORD

StevieTheTV
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by StevieTheTV » 20 Jul 2018, 07:36

I really enjoyed the game last night, 2 teams who absolutely put everything into the game.

Having said that, Shaun Wane summed it up perfectly, Wigans attack was clunky, they didnt put the Saints defense under any pressure at all. I would expect us at full strength to pressure the Saints 'D' much more.

Im not saying I expect us to get to OT and win, im just saying last night cannot be a good barometer of this Saints teams willingness to go to the depths required to deliver the goods at OT (we couldnt as well last season).

What I will say is if we get to OT at near enough full strength against Saints, it will be one hell of a game.
Tigers for Life! Not just for SuperLeague!!

Tawera Nikau = Legend

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 20 Jul 2018, 08:06

sparky49 wrote:

Have people forgotten that we went to Warrington then beat Wigan at home with 10 and 11 players from our starting 17 missing. No team will relish playing us when we have our players back and we have the motivation of making up for last year. If we win tonight we will be 2nd and this has been an injury ravaged season so far that is some achievement.
That's true but they are not St.Helens which both Wigan and Warrington are not playing as dynamically as the Saints are and just to remind you and ask yourself the question - Has Cas beat Saints this year ? So, It's going to be very tricky to have that monkey removed this season ! that's all I am saying ! We will need to play at the very top end of our game as we have not been as consistent this season with some average performances on occasion - BUT I am always the Optimist so come on Cas !!!

Davc1h

Post by Davc1h » 20 Jul 2018, 08:10

StevieTheTV wrote:I really enjoyed the game last night, 2 teams who absolutely put everything into the game.

Having said that, Shaun Wane summed it up perfectly, Wigans attack was clunky, they didnt put the Saints defense under any pressure at all. I would expect us at full strength to pressure the Saints 'D' much more.

Im not saying I expect us to get to OT and win, im just saying last night cannot be a good barometer of this Saints teams willingness to go to the depths required to deliver the goods at OT (we couldnt as well last season).

What I will say is if we get to OT at near enough full strength against Saints, it will be one hell of a game.
This is spot on, whilst last night was a good game to watch and Saints are a top team, Wigan did not test them much at all in attack so they had quite an easy night.
Plus when Saints have to work harder in defence, they will not have the same energy in attack.
Not for one minute saying Cas would beat them but I would like to think we could give them more to do in defence.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 20 Jul 2018, 08:11

Is cas get to old Trafford this year her majesty should be making Powell a knight of the realm ...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 20 Jul 2018, 08:19

tigerfeat wrote:Ifcas get to old Trafford this year her majesty should be making Powell a knight of the realm ...
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

sparky49
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by sparky49 » 20 Jul 2018, 08:38

CasRus wrote:
sparky49 wrote:

That's true but they are not St.Helens which both Wigan and Warrington are not playing as dynamically as the Saints are and just to remind you and ask yourself the question - Has Cas beat Saints this year ? So, It's going to be very tricky to have that monkey removed this season ! that's all I am saying ! We will need to play at the very top end of our game as we have not been as consistent this season with some average performances on occasion - BUT I am always the Optimist so come on Cas !!!

I never mentioned us beating Saints I was referring to you having it as a Saints v Wigan Final and as stated if we win tonight we will be above Wigan. Wigan or Warrington hold no fears for me but I do respect both teams as they are good at what they do but so are we. If we get to the Final we all know only too well that anything can happen, the favourites don't always come out on top. I know on our day we can beat any team in the league and I would not expect a performance like last year if we make it. COYF.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 20 Jul 2018, 09:38

Tbf Wigan weren’t brilliant last night.
Saints only scored 2 tries against an ordinary Wigan defence.
Without barba there attack seemed a bit lost.

Take barba out and saints are not as potent.
Saying that Roby was immense last night, tackled his heart out.
He’s another one, if saints lost him for a few games they would be ordinary.

Would love a cas v saints GF. still a lot of if’s and buts to go yet.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 20 Jul 2018, 13:21

thought wigan looked lost last night mainly due to lockers being missing (he was still trying to ref the game from the stands though) lol. I couldn't understand their tactics of continually throwing the ball from one wing to the other with each player in turn catching the ball standing still and thus losing ground. their forwards tried hard but their line speed was too slow. bateman and ratboy went well and didn't deserve to be on the losing side.
when saints have barba missing they include fages who drags their game down. any body else think richardsons success is starting to go to his head and his form is dropping off. he made a couple of bad decisions last night.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 20 Jul 2018, 13:50

lurcher wrote:thought wigan looked lost last night mainly due to lockers being missing (he was still trying to ref the game from the stands though) lol. I couldn't understand their tactics of continually throwing the ball from one wing to the other with each player in turn catching the ball standing still and thus losing ground. their forwards tried hard but their line speed was too slow. bateman and ratboy went well and didn't deserve to be on the losing side.
when saints have barba missing they include fages who drags their game down. any body else think richardsons success is starting to go to his head and his form is dropping off. he made a couple of bad decisions last night.
Have thought for the last few weeks that Richardson's form is dropping, not sure it can be put down to self admiration though!! I would have thought more to do with it's his first full season and he's played all the way through and could maybe do with a break.

totally agree with your assessment of Fages - have never rated him, he's very slow in thought and deed.

As for Wigan - think they desperately need a proper hooker, and a proper halfback. Sam Powell must have some compromising photos of Wane to keep getting picked and Josh Woods is hopeless.

Long may it continue!!!

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 20 Jul 2018, 14:16

The Fox wrote:
lurcher wrote:thought wigan looked lost last night mainly due to lockers being missing (he was still trying to ref the game from the stands though) lol. I couldn't understand their tactics of continually throwing the ball from one wing to the other with each player in turn catching the ball standing still and thus losing ground. their forwards tried hard but their line speed was too slow. bateman and ratboy went well and didn't deserve to be on the losing side.
Have thought for the last few weeks that Richardson's form is dropping, not sure it can be put down to self admiration though!! I would have thought more to do with it's his first full season and he's played all the way through and could maybe do with a break.

totally agree with your assessment of Fages - have never rated him, he's very slow in thought and deed.

As for Wigan - think they desperately need a proper hooker, and a proper halfback. Sam Powell must have some compromising photos of Wane to keep getting picked and Josh Woods is hopeless.

Long may it continue!!!
Just hope your assement of Cas isn't as damming after tonight lol.