Project Debut

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Project Debut

Post by Mysterio » 27 Jun 2018, 12:12

Ps. Always thought BJ was a big head who rated himself far higher than his ability actually was. Am I wrong?
Audacter Et Sincere

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 27 Jun 2018, 12:35

I'm not sure about his own view of himself, but he was one of the best ball handling props around. Fans from the 80's and fellow players certainly rated him highly. He was a target in those days, and a Featherstone player TS broke his jaw in what most viewed as a deliberate act. He was never quite the same again, and had it broken a second time.

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 27 Jun 2018, 13:19

It was absolutely deliberate - he nutted him on the floor after tackling him and stopping him getting up for a quick ptb.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 27 Jun 2018, 15:54

The Fox wrote:It was absolutely deliberate - he nutted him on the floor after tackling him and stopping him getting up for a quick ptb.
I know, I was attempting to be even-handed. The Featherstone player in question had quite a reputation for foul play.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 27 Jun 2018, 16:06

Just been researching the tackle in question. There is an interesting thread about it on RL fans in 2012 entitled "Worst Tackle Ever"

heppy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by heppy » 27 Jun 2018, 18:39

The worse tackle ever Dixon(halifax) on Shoebottom(leeds) which gave him brain damage

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 27 Jun 2018, 20:17

heppy wrote:The worse tackle ever Dixon(halifax) on Shoebottom(leeds) which gave him brain damage
Don't think it was a tackle, a kick to the head I believe. Shoebottom didn't deserve that, but I remember Shoebottom kicking Chuck Hardisty when he had touched down for a try and it broke Chucks' arm, when there was no reason to kick out.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 27 Jun 2018, 20:25

cogito ergo sum wrote:I'm not sure about his own view of himself, but he was one of the best ball handling props around. Fans from the 80's and fellow players certainly rated him highly. He was a target in those days, and a Featherstone player TS broke his jaw in what most viewed as a deliberate act. He was never quite the same again, and had it broken a second time.
I always thought he should have got a international cap he was one of best ball handling props around for a time
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 27 Jun 2018, 20:48

it was a fev player who was a taxi driver
jo brand is eddie warings love child

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 27 Jun 2018, 21:05

tigerfeat wrote:
cogito ergo sum wrote:I'm not sure about his own view of himself, but he was one of the best ball handling props around. Fans from the 80's and fellow players certainly rated him highly. He was a target in those days, and a Featherstone player TS broke his jaw in what most viewed as a deliberate act. He was never quite the same again, and had it broken a second time.
I always thought he should have got a international cap he was one of best ball handling props around for a time
Watched a few games on YouTube and he didn’t get involved a great deal but tried to be more of a pivot for others forwards to run the ball in. For me that’s all well and good if he would be willing to do the hard yards too - like Millo for example. Not my idea of a good forward

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 27 Jun 2018, 21:18

You cant compare probs then to likes of milo its a different game he was man opposition tried to rattle anyway
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 27 Jun 2018, 21:39

tigerfeat wrote:You cant compare probs then to likes of milo its a different game he was man opposition tried to rattle anyway
The comparison to Millington was only because he can distribute as well as do the hard yards. Something that BJ never tried to do.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 28 Jun 2018, 08:17

Bill Ashurst broke Chuck's arm in the act of scoring, in the cup tie 1969. Chuck returned for the semi-final.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 28 Jun 2018, 10:48

Yes, all I ever see from Barry Johnson on old clips is him trying to look like something dead special but all he is doing is handing th ball on lol.

Was this taxi driver called trev?
Audacter Et Sincere

fast hands
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by fast hands » 28 Jun 2018, 11:10

cogito ergo sum wrote:Bill Ashurst broke Chuck's arm in the act of scoring, in the cup tie 1969. Chuck returned for the semi-final.
I know at my age the memories get clouded but, I remember Shooie kicking Chuck, it was at Headingley, Boxing Day. I know your correct with the Ashurst incident.

Di
Verified
Twitter: @diddididi64

Post by Di » 28 Jun 2018, 12:27

Mysterio wrote:Yes, all I ever see from Barry Johnson on old clips is him trying to look like something dead special but all he is doing is handing th ball on lol.

Was this taxi driver called trev?
no Tim
Casforum is a non-profit website. We rely on donations and forum advertising to keep the site alive. If you'd like to donate please contact any administrator. In return we'll give you a shiny new forum rank!

The Fox
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by The Fox » 28 Jun 2018, 12:59

orrsome wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:
Watched a few games on YouTube and he didn’t get involved a great deal but tried to be more of a pivot for others forwards to run the ball in. For me that’s all well and good if he would be willing to do the hard yards too - like Millo for example. Not my idea of a good forward
You never got to see the famous "try" move that Cas used to do most games where BJ would go to the ptb (instead of Kev Beardmore) and would do numerous dummies and steps and then somehow find Kevin Ward at absolute full belt who invariably scored, often diving over the defenders near the line. In time they then had to adjust the move as other teams became aware of it, so they set it up exactly the same and then switched the ball out wide and usually one of the centres scored - either Gary Hyde or Tony Marchant.

But BJ was in a class of his own at that time, very few props could do what he could do, it's so different now but back then........

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 28 Jun 2018, 20:05

The Fox wrote:
orrsome wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:
You never got to see the famous "try" move that Cas used to do most games where BJ would go to the ptb (instead of Kev Beardmore) and would do numerous dummies and steps and then somehow find Kevin Ward at absolute full belt who invariably scored, often diving over the defenders near the line. In time they then had to adjust the move as other teams became aware of it, so they set it up exactly the same and then switched the ball out wide and usually one of the centres scored - either Gary Hyde or Tony Marchant.

But BJ was in a class of his own at that time, very few props could do what he could do, it's so different now but back then........
Having a ball playing prop is obviously a good thing and I saw BJ quite a lot with his set plays, but I still think that one of the main jobs of a prop is to make the hard yards, something that he just didn’t do.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 28 Jun 2018, 20:30

Different game then, 5 yards not 10 metres and teams usually kicking from within their own half. Props and hookers had to win the ball in the scrums and there were loads of them. Fullbacks had to catch and tackle, wingers had to be fast and were hardly ever faced with the high cross kicks. Halfbacks and loose made all the play.

I remember Cas losing one of the semis against hull simply because we didn't have a fit hooker and got murdered in the scrums therefore no possession. In those days there was a scrum after the sixth tackle so hull didn't kick in general play at all.

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 28 Jun 2018, 21:27

Spanishtiger wrote:Different game then, 5 yards not 10 metres and teams usually kicking from within their own half. Props and hookers had to win the ball in the scrums and there were loads of them. Fullbacks had to catch and tackle, wingers had to be fast and were hardly ever faced with the high cross kicks. Halfbacks and loose made all the play.

I remember Cas losing one of the semis against hull simply because we didn't have a fit hooker and got murdered in the scrums therefore no possession. In those days there was a scrum after the sixth tackle so hull didn't kick in general play at all.
So are you saying that one of the main jobs of a prop wasn’t to run the ball in in those days? If so that’s utter rubbish
I agree about contested scrums with props playing a major role in winning the ball but it was then and is now a prerequisite of a prop to physically take on the opposition’s forwards which BJ never did. In fact he generally played as a ball distributor only, not a prop forward. Had he been a bit quicker he would have been ideal as a hooker.