Will Maher

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Re: Will Maher

Post by gateman » 26 Jun 2018, 12:22

i bet Massey is pleased he is being left alone, now we have two more to pull down, if any of them improves like Massey as they will do for me

westyorkylad
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westyorkylad » 26 Jun 2018, 12:32

gateman wrote:i bet Massey is pleased he is being left alone, now we have two more to pull down, if any of them improves like Massey as they will do for me
Massey impressed from the second season for me Gateman, always finds his front gets good play the balls and has a good work rate.

I make my own mind up from what I see on the field. You need all kinds of players to make a side.

We've all got opinions on different players, doesn't mean we don't want them to do well.

As it happens I think Grant Millington is the best forward I have seen in a Cas shirt since Lee Crooks, but the first season he was here I wondered why the hell we had signed him, so players can grow into the team that's for sure. ;)

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 26 Jun 2018, 12:33

westyorkylad wrote:
MØL wrote:
Andrew6666 wrote:
MØL wrote:
Andrew6666 wrote:When does this potential get realised?

I'm not a fan of Will at all as I don't think he has any aggression at all. But I'm not picking the side. I think with Wills size he should be tearing it up, he isn't.

I wish people would also stop saying he is still young. The guy has been playing rugby for years - he needs to step up!!! We cannot afford to be carrying deadwood due to sentiment - top teams are ruthless.
Jesus, seems like you've a real issue with Maher. He's far from deadwood. He's a squad player at the moment that Powell sees as a development project. Personally i thought he had a good stint yesterday and for me went better then Green. A great gritty arm wrestle of a win last night and you come on moaning about a player and not seeing the full potential of a young 22 year old prop. FFS. ](*,)

You say 'Top teams are ruthless' also top teams nurture and develop players.
He goes to ground far to easily for a big lad. Just doesn't seem to have any aggression to bust a tackle or stay on his feet and drive when tackled.
22 years old and manages 20 minutes, it isn't a great return.
I want Maher to succeed at Cas, my opinion on the player is, he isn't showing anything that makes me think he will be anything other than an average Championship player.
My opinion (which you take issue with because it doesn't match your own) so we will have to see.
Great win against Wigan - which I didn't moan about if you could read. I stated an opinion on one player not the team performance. But hey ho, enjoy your evening Mrs Maher.
He only 'managed' 20mins because Powell took him off. Green is 27 and he only 'managed' a similar period of time in the second half knocking on 2/3 times during but you seem to just be intend on bashing Maher solely. You didn't moan about the win but proceeded to slam a player that did nothing wrong in the game (and actually put in a good stint from the kick off) the very next day. I don't take issue with your opinion but with how you portray it, calling a young Cas player 'deadwood'. I'd continue this debate but I'll think twice about responding to you in the future as towards the end of your last comment you started to show your maturity with high school insults suggesting that 'I can't read' and referring to me as 'Mrs Maher'.
All the guy is telling you is he doesn't rate him, you do rate him, get over it.

For what its worth I tend to Agree with the OP, don't rate Maher, not seen much improvement in him over the last few years, and personally I thought the first 20 mins he was on he was ineffective, makes poor contact with and without the ball and doesn't have a particularly high work rate.

Your argument for Green doesn't wash because he was equally ineffective.

Clark on the other hand impresses with his contact with and without the ball and his high workrate.

I have seen more to impress me with Clark in 1 x pre season friendly and 2 x spells of the bench that anything I have seen from Maher or Green.

Nothing against either of them hope all works out for them but I personally don't think either of them are good enough.

Theyre not the first Cas players I haven't rated and they wont be the last, Knuckles anyone............... :D
'get over it' thought this was a place for debates and a chance to exchange opposing views. I'm not saying he's the best player ever or even that he will make a starting super league prop just giving my opinion that he can improve and doesn't deserve to be called 'deadwood' and 'no courage' (by other posters).
My argument by mentioning Green was because the OP stated that at 22 years old, 20mins for Maher is not a good return, even though DP subbed him.

Anywho. Regarding Clark I agree, he's been very patient in playing for Featherstone and waiting for his opportunity and when it's come he's been very pleasing to watch. Def in front of Maher and Green in terms of the squad selection. Actually maybe even Springer too.

Andrew6666
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Andrew6666 » 26 Jun 2018, 13:08

MØL wrote:
Andrew6666 wrote:
MØL wrote:

I'm not a fan of Will at all as I don't think he has any aggression at all. But I'm not picking the side. I think with Wills size he should be tearing it up, he isn't.

I wish people would also stop saying he is still young. The guy has been playing rugby for years - he needs to step up!!! We cannot afford to be carrying deadwood due to sentiment - top teams are ruthless.
Jesus, seems like you've a real issue with Maher. He's far from deadwood. He's a squad player at the moment that Powell sees as a development project. Personally i thought he had a good stint yesterday and for me went better then Green. A great gritty arm wrestle of a win last night and you come on moaning about a player and not seeing the full potential of a young 22 year old prop. FFS. ](*,)

He goes to ground far to easily for a big lad. Just doesn't seem to have any aggression to bust a tackle or stay on his feet and drive when tackled.
I want Maher to succeed at Cas, my opinion on the player is, he isn't showing anything that makes me think he will be anything other than an average Championship player.
My opinion (which you take issue with because it doesn't match your own) so we will have to see.
Great win against Wigan - which I didn't moan about if you could read. I stated an opinion on one player not the team performance. But hey ho, enjoy your evening Mrs Maher.
He only 'managed' 20mins because Powell took him off. Green is 27 and he only 'managed' a similar period of time in the second half knocking on 2/3 times during but you seem to just be intend on bashing Maher solely. You didn't moan about the win but proceeded to slam a player that did nothing wrong in the game (and actually put in a good stint from the kick off) the very next day. I don't take issue with your opinion but with how you portray it, calling a young Cas player 'deadwood'. I'd continue this debate but I'll think twice about responding to you in the future as towards the end of your last comment you started to show your maturity with high school insults suggesting that 'I can't read' and referring to me as 'Mrs Maher'.
You didn't read my original post correctly and stated I'd moaned about the performance - you were wrong. I stated an opinion of a player you are very defensive of.
You tried to alter my opinion on a player who I do not think is SL level.
You have now gone defensive due to the fact I proved your first reaction to my original post was wrong.
Continue to answer the posts that you perceive instead of the post that is actually made.
I hope that you didn't take the banter as an insult as that would be very childish and 'precious'. Please don't take my post as condescending (that means talk down to people) as they are just my opinions. I do apologise that my opinion on a specific player does not match your own. Also remember, you felt the need to respond to my post, and are now taking your ball home because we disagree. I still stick to my original assessment of Maher, he has done nothing to prove he is worthy of SL player status, therefore in a SL squad he would be deemed 'deadwood'.

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 26 Jun 2018, 14:25

Andrew6666 wrote:
MØL wrote:
Andrew6666 wrote:
MØL wrote:

You didn't read my original post correctly and stated I'd moaned about the performance - you were wrong. I stated an opinion of a player you are very defensive of.
You tried to alter my opinion on a player who I do not think is SL level.
You have now gone defensive due to the fact I proved your first reaction to my original post was wrong.
Continue to answer the posts that you perceive instead of the post that is actually made.
I hope that you didn't take the banter as an insult as that would be very childish and 'precious'. Please don't take my post as condescending (that means talk down to people) as they are just my opinions. I do apologise that my opinion on a specific player does not match your own. Also remember, you felt the need to respond to my post, and are now taking your ball home because we disagree. I still stick to my original assessment of Maher, he has done nothing to prove he is worthy of SL player status, therefore in a SL squad he would be deemed 'deadwood'.
God damn, you come across as one hell of a d0uchebag. Trying to explain the word condescending to me. Lol. Congratulations you've used a big word. :clap: Anyway. Thanks for the apology. :D

Andrew6666
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Andrew6666 » 26 Jun 2018, 14:33

You think that me making you look stupid is an apology :D :D ](*,) You must have hit every branch when you fell from the dumb tree :D :D

You're original reaction to my post was also proven ridiculous, even by other posters on this thread :D

I said douchebag when I was at school, although I could spell it correctly - you fail again, not your day today :D

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 26 Jun 2018, 15:10

You got off lucky andrew he called me pretentious other day ... :-&
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 27 Jun 2018, 11:59

The question is this :

What does Maher have to his game that Daryl sees?
Audacter Et Sincere

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 27 Jun 2018, 12:03

Mysterio wrote:The question is this :

Not too much, if appearances are a measure.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 27 Jun 2018, 13:34

cogito ergo sum wrote:

Must have seen something though to give Wil a 4 year contract.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 27 Jun 2018, 14:15

V Wigan Will looked better than of late and I thought he went OK for the time he was on the field, nothing spectacular but did what was required of him, lets hope his spell in the championship as increased is energy levels , late developer hopefully

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 28 Jun 2018, 10:49

cogito ergo sum wrote:

If that is the case, why not just let him leave.
Audacter Et Sincere

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 28 Jun 2018, 14:12

Sharlotiger wrote:
cogito ergo sum wrote:

Must have seen something though to give Wil a 4 year contract.
All them maher lovers u have your answer powell not even put him in squad this week thats ow good one off best coaches in country things off him no heart dont say hes too young crooks played for england at 19

Aid
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Aid » 28 Jun 2018, 16:09

Bit of a childish post. I haven't read any posts from "maher lovers" just adults making the points; Will is still youngish, that DP clearly sees something in him and that we are content to see what happens. Time will tell! and
cum on you Ford

Crapbag

Post by Crapbag » 28 Jun 2018, 17:27

Will is young and DP obviously saw something in him that he feels he can develop and bring on, unless he just took a gamble on him because of his size and age.

Either way I stopped questioning DP signing many moons ago, 80 - 90% of his signings we've had value for money from.

TT Tiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TT Tiger » 28 Jun 2018, 22:03

DP has also not been afraid to off load players if they do not fit the bill. But if I recall correctly in a super league squad you have to have a certain number of players that are your own academy graduates so he fits the bill in that respect and probs isn’t a massive earner either.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 29 Jun 2018, 07:53

Aid wrote:Bit of a childish post. I haven't read any posts from "maher lovers" just adults making the points; Will is still youngish, that DP clearly sees something in him and that we are content to see what happens. Time will tell! and
so if somebody don't agree with you its childish , all this crap about give him chance is only 22 he is a giant off a bloke if not breaking pots now he never will my 74 year old mum could run it at line harder lets get rid and bring mitch clark into the squad more a lot more aggressive player and impact player ](*,)

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 29 Jun 2018, 08:52

Don't think is the disagreement which is childish, it's resorting to calling childish names like "Maher lovers".

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 29 Jun 2018, 09:39

[quote="cogito ergo sum"]Don't think is the disagreement which is childish, it's resorting to calling childish names like "Maha. Some people on here really cant handle a different opion in my eyes thats chidish and ways you sense off humour jesus