Will Maher

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
BCT
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Wheldon Road End - The side bit next to the main stand

Will Maher

Post by BCT » 23 Jun 2018, 12:07

What's the situation with Will. He started last night and went off after 20 or so minutes. Didn't come back on. Is it a case of Powell bringing him on slowly and surely or is it just a case of he isn't good enough? He never seems to get big minutes when he is given chances which baffles me a bit. I'm not bagging him at all here but I'd have liked to have seen him given longer last night.

I thought Gadwin and Green did well last night too.
Cas Until I Die

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Will Maher

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 23 Jun 2018, 12:11

BCT wrote:What's the situation with Will. He started last night and went off after 20 or so minutes. Didn't come back on. Is it a case of Powell bringing him on slowly and surely or is it just a case of he isn't good enough? He never seems to get big minutes when he is given chances which baffles me a bit. I'm not bagging him at all here but I'd have liked to have seen him given longer last night.

Maher was alright to be fair but seems odd not coming on again.Clark seems streets ahead of both Maher and Green though in ability amd potential.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 23 Jun 2018, 12:19

Green played well weve got the deepest squad in the league weve been able to beat wire and wigan because of that
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 23 Jun 2018, 13:02

BCT wrote:What's the situation with Will. He started last night and went off after 20 or so minutes. Didn't come back on. Is it a case of Powell bringing him on slowly and surely or is it just a case of he isn't good enough? He never seems to get big minutes when he is given chances which baffles me a bit. I'm not bagging him at all here but I'd have liked to have seen him given longer last night.

simple like lion off wizard off oz no courage

Fumper27
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by Fumper27 » 23 Jun 2018, 13:11

flow wrote:

Don’t be daft. Anyone who pulls on a rugby jersey has courage. It’s probably the most physical contact sport there is.

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 23 Jun 2018, 13:13

Even though it was only like 15 minutes I thought Maher did a decent stint. No mistakes and ran the ball in hard. He's got another year left with us and is only 22. I know a hell of a lot of people take jabs at him but lets be more patient. People saying he's had enough chances but hard to show something in a 15 minute spell at a young age as a prop. Springer did well too, nothing amazing though which you'd be wanting from someone with a little bit more experience and game time than Maher. Wasn't impressed by Green though. For me I'd let him go come the end of the year.
Last edited by MØL on 23 Jun 2018, 13:16, edited 1 time in total.

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 23 Jun 2018, 13:14

Fumper27 wrote:
flow wrote:

Don’t be daft. Anyone who pulls on a rugby jersey has courage. It’s probably the most physical contact sport there is.

:clap:

Aid
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Aid » 23 Jun 2018, 13:23

MØL wrote:Even though it was only like 15 minutes I thought Maher did a decent stint. No mistakes and ran the ball in hard. He's got another year left with us and is only 22. I know a hell of a lot of people take jabs at him but lets be more patient. People saying he's had enough chances but hard to show something in a 15 minute spell at a young age as a prop. Springer did well too, nothing amazing though which you'd be wanting from someone with a little bit more experience and game time than Maher. Wasn't impressed by Green though. For me I'd let him go come the end of the year.
Maher was on for over 20 minutes.
Green is 27, Clarke and Springer 25, Maher is just 22. DP obviously sees something Maher. He has been a regular starter for top 4 championship side Halifax this year. Still work in progress,
cum on you Ford

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 23 Jun 2018, 13:24

Think the Halifax gig has helped him and will continue to help him massively.

Morrissey
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Morrissey » 23 Jun 2018, 14:24

Everyone put a heroic stint in last night, but I said at the game to have a chance we needed all our fringe players who have shown in fits and starts what they can do would need to have the best game in Cas colours for us to have a chance. I thought Gadwin and Mitch Clark were excellent, and James Clare ran in hard, looked for work and helped his forwards out.
I would put any of Green, Clark or Springer in ahead of Maher though on last night's evidence - not knocking Will because nobody deserves stick after the result, but he just lacks the aggression the other guys have and need at this level.

Andrew6666
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Andrew6666 » 23 Jun 2018, 15:14

When does this potential get realised?

I'm not a fan of Will at all as I don't think he has any aggression at all. But I'm not picking the side. I think with Wills size he should be tearing it up, he isn't.

I wish people would also stop saying he is still young. The guy has been playing rugby for years - he needs to step up!!! We cannot afford to be carrying deadwood due to sentiment - top teams are ruthless.

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 23 Jun 2018, 15:38

Andrew6666 wrote:When does this potential get realised?

I'm not a fan of Will at all as I don't think he has any aggression at all. But I'm not picking the side. I think with Wills size he should be tearing it up, he isn't.

I wish people would also stop saying he is still young. The guy has been playing rugby for years - he needs to step up!!! We cannot afford to be carrying deadwood due to sentiment - top teams are ruthless.
Jesus, seems like you've a real issue with Maher. He's far from deadwood. He's a squad player at the moment that Powell sees as a development project. Personally i thought he had a good stint yesterday and for me went better then Green. A great gritty arm wrestle of a win last night and you come on moaning about a player and not seeing the full potential of a young 22 year old prop. FFS. ](*,)

You say 'Top teams are ruthless' also top teams nurture and develop players.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 23 Jun 2018, 18:05

Fumper27 wrote:
flow wrote:

The truest most succinct post I’ve seen on here. Here here.
At any level, it takes courage to play Rugby League. Especially at super league level against people who could kill you. Yes. Kill you.
Audacter Et Sincere

Dez
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Dez » 23 Jun 2018, 18:17

Big Will was excellent whilst on the pitch last night he didnt do one thing wrong . Remember the first twenty minutes lays the platform for the rest of the team/game. Hes come on massively over the last twelve months at fax and is now there starting prop . All he can do is his best which he did and to be critical of him or any players from last night is ridiculous

Nobody
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Nobody » 23 Jun 2018, 18:59

The thing is as a prop it usually takes them until there late 20's to get to the top of their game.
🐯 COYF!

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 23 Jun 2018, 20:38

The jury still out on Will, and the main reason is about minutes on the pitch. To be one of those short stint props such as Fifita, Masoe etc, he has to have a massive impact whilst he's on. If he's not one of those, he has to do 40-50 mins in two stints, and for me he still falls somewhere between.

I hope he makes it, otherwise he's spent a long time at Cas for not very much.

Leeds tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Leeds tiger » 23 Jun 2018, 22:19

If he has the skill or not isn't the point really, to say he doesn't have the courage is pretty poor. He's playing against some big more developed, stronger, nastier people especially in that Wigan team who are pretty thuggish at the best of times. I saw nothing but a young lad doing his best, and doing a pretty good job at that. If he's only good for 20 minutes a game right now so be it. It's better than nothing with the situation we are in. Not everyone in the team can be superstars in a salary capped sport. We need people like maher, Clark etc who can come in and do the bit when they're needed, even last year we had some lesser players like larroyer who stepped in and helped, not world beaters but just do what they can for the team.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 23 Jun 2018, 22:27

People bashing the amount of minutes he played - I don’t see the same for Green, who only came on in the 2nd half for about the same amount of time too.

When your forwards are on top and doing the business, there’s no need to rotate too much. Massey, Cook, Springer and Clark were doing a great job and I’m pretty sure both Millo and Moors played 80 mins too or close enough.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 23 Jun 2018, 22:34

Agree wholeheartedly with both comments above. Glad there's other people supporting the big lad's career instead of ripping into him any chance they get. As soon as I saw his name on the starting team sheet would've put big money on someone slamming him afterwards.

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 24 Jun 2018, 06:07

How many minutes does Maher usually get when playing for Halifax?
CLASSY CAS FOREVER