Jake Trueman

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Jake Trueman

Post by MØL » 17 Jun 2018, 21:25

smarty_tiger wrote:
MØL wrote:
old cas lass wrote:Not a patch on Richardson at saints. Both similar age but Richardson seemed to have come on better than trueman. He scored 3 tries on his debut at Wigan. Everyone thought him the bees knees. He needs a run in the championship with less pressure, seems to be telling on him now. I’m sure he’ll come good further down the line, sadly we need him on the pitch cos Roberts and gale are weeks away.

This isn’t a go at trueman , just an opinion.
Really don't think being of similar age means much. Shaun Johnson and Jamie Ellis are similar in age... (although not in weight :-" :lol: )
Disagree. I think two youngsters of similar age who are progression focused means more than comparing two guys who are already established.
I was joking regarding the Johnson/Ellis statement.

Just because of similar age for young players doesn't mean they should automatically be of similar ability. Some progress slower, some perform better due to their current group of player around them and some just have more of the raw talent.

smarty_tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by smarty_tiger » 17 Jun 2018, 21:28

Trueman will come good. Unfortunately he has no choice but be the main guy due to injuries, which is a lot for a young lad. The best guys have a bad day. He has been pretty good this season overall.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 17 Jun 2018, 21:36

Im sure powell would not have wanted to play him as much has hes had to this season but its all good experiance for him and if he looks on here i wouldnt worry mate luke gale won man of steel last year and played in world cup final and was getting it on here before he got injured
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 17 Jun 2018, 22:58

Let’s have some perspective.

The lad is playing two positions both left and right side. QLT is a stop gap and doesn’t possess a kicking game. He’s a half back not a miracle worker.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

mart0042
Championship Player
Championship Player
Location: behind the table in the lab deep under Racoon City.....

Post by mart0042 » 18 Jun 2018, 09:54

HuddsTigers wrote:Let’s have some perspective.

The lad is playing two positions both left and right side. QLT is a stop gap and doesn’t possess a kicking game. He’s a half back not a miracle worker.
Spot on.

One good win and Turner is the obvious choice for fullback and QLT a great number 6. We are doing it tough and still not losing. I'm pretty happy with that at this stage.

Come the super 8s we could be full strength.

StevieTheTV
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by StevieTheTV » 18 Jun 2018, 12:11

sparky49 wrote:On todays performance he should have a prolonged spell back in the under 19's. His passing and kicking game was dire at best and his age is no excuse, others seem to manage. That today has to rank with the worst displays of the season, all we had to do was control the ball instead of trying to play fancy dan rugby.
Worst comment on this forum. EVER.

He was the best half on the field yesterday.
Tigers for Life! Not just for SuperLeague!!

Tawera Nikau = Legend

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 18 Jun 2018, 12:28

"kicking game was dire " bit makes me laugh watching tries again it was a lovely kick he put in on the run for the second try and then dropped ball in perfect spot for jy to get third try
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 18 Jun 2018, 13:10

tigerfeat wrote:"kicking game was dire " bit makes me laugh watching tries again it was a lovely kick he put in on the run for the second try and then dropped ball in perfect spot for jy to get third try
I
I don't think Powell as helped Jake with how he as hyped him up and now everyones expectations of him are too high. Yesterday he did some good things and poor and you will generally get this with young players and this is what helps them grow.

The extra games Jake is getting this year as our controlling half will really speed up his development and his future looks btight we just have to live with the odd mistake here and there within his game at present.

Old one

Post by Old one » 18 Jun 2018, 21:17

Although I wasn’t at the game yesterday and so can’t comment on Jake’s performance I would like to make just one pretty glaring observation.

One of the posters seems to think that because Danny Richardson is playing so well, and in their opinion Jake did not yesterday (although the same age), I’d like to point out that Danny Richardson is in fact more than 2 years older than Jake (Danny Richardson d.o.b. 2nd Sept 96, Jacob Trueman d.o.b. 16th Feb 99).

Although Danny Richardson is a very good player, in a standout team, and that at a similar age to Jake he was also a very good player, he was not in the position of being a first team player in SuperLeague (and nor was he capable of being so at that stage).

Jake Trueman is currently of a very high quality (irrespective of age) and with all things being equal (no serious injuries, etc) will be a standout performer for many years to come.

The track record of posters on this forum ‘destroying’ young Castleford players is legend and for the sake of the development of ALL players then perhaps some caution should be used when commenting on ‘young’ players. They are your future.

Hope this post offers an opportunity for everyone to sit back and give further consideration before ripping into any player, not just the young ones.

P.S. Also remember that most posters on the forum are supporters and spectators, not experts in the field of performance coaching, but your opinions on a forum probably carry as much weight in the eyes of those supporters and spectators !!

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 18 Jun 2018, 21:40

You can also add Richardson has played with a very consistent spine of experienced players for the last 18 months which is a very telling factor in his development/progress/performance

PSTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by PSTiger » 18 Jun 2018, 22:33

Trueman is 19 years old. In 5 years he will be winning the man of steel and a regular international. I hope it is at Cas not that some of our “fans” deserve it.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 18 Jun 2018, 23:10

sparky49 wrote:On todays performance he should have a prolonged spell back in the under 19's. His passing and kicking game was dire at best and his age is no excuse, others seem to manage. That today has to rank with the worst displays of the season, all we had to do was control the ball instead of trying to play fancy dan rugby.
My dad once told me that the human brain is a very complex and diverse organ, now I finally understand what he was trying to say.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 19 Jun 2018, 08:07

Jake at this moment in time is doing it tough with no regular half back partner, nice kick for the Hitchcox try when Minikin broke through, whether he is a future GB half back the jury is still out for me the lad as some improving to do

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 19 Jun 2018, 09:25

Back when I started watching, stand offs such as Chuck had pace, supported the forwards and provided a link. Full backs rarely scored tries.
In the modern games it seems the job has changed in that full backs take much of that role and stand offs seem to direct play. George Williams has no great pace just lays off ball, kicks etc.
John Wells made a point on the screen after Warrington that QLT's try was a full back's try. Not in the 60's and 70's, it was a stand off's try. Albert Lunn wouldn't have scored one like that if he'd played until today!

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 19 Jun 2018, 10:25

cogito ergo sum wrote:Back when I started watching, stand offs such as Chuck had pace, supported the forwards and provided a link. Full backs rarely scored tries.
In the modern games it seems the job has changed in that full backs take much of that role and stand offs seem to direct play. George Williams has no great pace just lays off ball, kicks etc.
John Wells made a point on the screen after Warrington that QLT's try was a full back's try. Not in the 60's and 70's, it was a stand off's try. Albert Lunn wouldn't have scored one like that if he'd played until today!
Remember Derek Edwards - terrific attacking full back, who started as a stand off.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 19 Jun 2018, 10:42

orrsome wrote:
cogito ergo sum wrote:Back when I started watching, stand offs such as Chuck had pace, supported the forwards and provided a link. Full backs rarely scored tries.
Remember Derek Edwards - terrific attacking full back, who started as a stand off.
I do, great player, but to illustrate the point, he scored 38 tries in 309 games for Cas. over 8 seasons. Less than 5 a season. Luke Dorn scored 45 tries in 59 games as Cas full back over 3 seasons.

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 19 Jun 2018, 11:16

cogito ergo sum wrote:
orrsome wrote:
I do, great player, but to illustrate the point, he scored 38 tries in 309 games for Cas. over 8 seasons. Less than 5 a season. Luke Dorn scored 45 tries in 59 games as Cas full back over 3 seasons.
I understand, but I reckon that Derek would have scored lots of tries with the current style of play in RL, as his background as a stand off would have enabled him to read and take opportunities.
My point is that there were attacking full backs back then but it was the style of play that limited the number of tries they scored.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 19 Jun 2018, 11:47

Exactly the original point I made. The role is different, that's why it's not as important that Jake may lack pace. Look at Liam Finn for example.

As you say, Derek started life as a stand off, so did Luke Dorn. I think Rachford did, and so did Ben Barba.

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 19 Jun 2018, 14:16

Anyone doubting Trueman, watch the highlights back. He was directly involved in 3 of Jy's tries. The talent is definately there, the rugby brain is there. He is just lacking at the minute consistency. You will see a better Jake when Gale returns, at the minute he is having to do too much and alot of emphasis is being placed on him at the minute to step up and be the leader in the halves, something at the moment he isnt ready for.

Anyone comparing him and Richardson right now, is like apple and oranges. Richardson is playing in the best team in the league around world class players. Trueman has had about 4/5 different half back partners so far this year. Imagine what he'd f been like last season given a run in the team when it was us blowing teams away.

heppy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by heppy » 19 Jun 2018, 18:14

For me it,s confidence,he,s a young lad in with the big boys.He cant feel easy telling old pros where he wants them to run.He has the raw talent believe me it will come good.