New league Format After 2019

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: New league Format After 2019

Post by HuddsTigers » 13 Jun 2018, 12:54

I don't necessarily see that as a case. For me, there will always be a Castleford Tigers for example. Even if we got relegated or had to start all over again, the will of the fans is too strong. We'd just start afresh as a semi-pro club with 7,000 fans and build ourselves back up again.

The issue is that with lack of away fans, you either have to pull in more home fans/neutrals, or make up the shortfall with commercial income.

The vision to me is that any new clubs have to demonstrate they can improve Super League and bring something to the table. The NRL seems to get by with having strong foundations of local clubs as feeder clubs.

In terms of players, if they have a reserves grade again next year then clubs will just stockpile 40-50 players each of varying age ranges.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 13 Jun 2018, 17:28

Hold on it seems Elstone got a bit carried away yesterday and let his mouth run away with him. The RFL has denied that any changes have been confirmed for next season. Amateur hour.

Captain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Captain » 13 Jun 2018, 18:22

alftupper wrote:Hold on it seems Elstone got a bit carried away yesterday and let his mouth run away with him. The RFL has denied that any changes have been confirmed for next season. Amateur hour.
Fev chairman Mark Campbell pretty much says the same thing here:

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/fe ... al-change/

How can SL announce rule and structure changes without any communication with the RFL - the ones who (supposedly) run the game?

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 13 Jun 2018, 18:47

Fantastic response from Campbell and should be echoed throughout the championship and league one sides. Hetherington is right that a few people are trying to hijack our game for their own gains and I for one am disappointed Cas are backing this.
Time for the RFL to get a grip and ensure no change takes place without a democratic vote involving all stake holders within our game.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 13 Jun 2018, 20:34

Any club that dosnt back the hearn elstone vision of how they want the game to go will end up playing championship teams every week
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 13 Jun 2018, 20:54

If it’s a 14 team super league with one down and one up I’m generally okay with it.
The idea of SL1 and SL2 is flawed. What would be created is a top flight of 10 teams and a lower tier. In reality it’s cutting the top division to 10 teams, which isn’t enough to create an interesting competition in my view.

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 13 Jun 2018, 20:59

I’m a bit bemused at the Mark Campbell response to be honest. If he had genuine aspirations to be a super league outfit I would have thought he would jump at a chance to a play off with another championship team for a place in super league. With Fevs budget as it is and being part time they have absolutely no chance of promotion through the middle eights. Maybe he is more interested in a few lucrative games against super league opponents in the eights series as it is even though they have little chance of winning them. I like the new proposals by Elstone as they are easier to understand and give a genuine chance for an ambitious Championship team to be promoted. For too long certain championship teams with poor attendances have been riding on the coat tails of the bigger clubs relying on a good away support to boost gate figures, rather than doing their own marketing and attracting more of their own fans. York are one shining light in league one showing it is possible to attract big Home gates with the correct marketing skills and some damn hard work.

St Albans tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by St Albans tiger » 13 Jun 2018, 21:47

It has nothing to do with the position Featherstone find themselves in the short term.. But more to do with the lack of consultation offered to clubs outside SL.

How can 12 teams in SL determine the future of the game without consulting the governing body or the lower league teams which ultimately these decisions affect.

It would be like changing the rules of the game to 15 players without consulting the governing body.

Total shambles

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 13 Jun 2018, 22:28

Sharlotiger wrote:Fantastic response from Campbell and should be echoed throughout the championship and league one sides. Hetherington is right that a few people are trying to hijack our game for their own gains and I for one am disappointed Cas are backing this.
Time for the RFL to get a grip and ensure no change takes place without a democratic vote involving all stake holders within our game.
I am very disappointed that we have thrown our lot in with the shysters at Wigan,Saints and Warrington. They have no genuine interest in the expansion of the game or local growth all they care about is playing matches for the highest bidder no matter where they are located.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 13 Jun 2018, 22:40

St Albans tiger wrote:It has nothing to do with the position Featherstone find themselves in the short term.. But more to do with the lack of consultation offered to clubs outside SL.

How can 12 teams in SL determine the future of the game without consulting the governing body or the lower league teams which ultimately these decisions affect.

It would be like changing the rules of the game to 15 players without consulting the governing body.

Total shambles
I agree with this.

daytona
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by daytona » 13 Jun 2018, 22:43

St Albans tiger wrote:It has nothing to do with the position Featherstone find themselves in the short term.. But more to do with the lack of consultation offered to clubs outside SL.

Total shambles
I agree it should have been a joint announcement with the RFL, but they have shown absolutely no leadership.They seem to be continually in negotiations but never have the crystals to make a decision. The tail has been wagging the dog for far too long in Rugby league and I find it refreshing that someone has come in and made a decision for once. You will never please everyone but super league is the pinnacle and deserves the biggest say I my opinion. I also agree that if you finish bottom you deserve to be relegated.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 14 Jun 2018, 07:09

the stronger clubs in my opinion are looking to their own interests , as a CAS supporter first I can be seen at FEATH Hunslet and amateur games through out the year, we keep saying we are a family game lets prove it, with our stronger teams doing more to help the ones below , to coin a phrase we are stronger together

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 14 Jun 2018, 09:16

gateman wrote:the stronger clubs in my opinion are looking to their own interests , as a CAS supporter first I can be seen at FEATH Hunslet and amateur games through out the year, we keep saying we are a family game lets prove it, with our stronger teams doing more to help the ones below , to coin a phrase we are stronger together
Strength comes from the bottom up. We need more schools playing and more amateurs. The flowers attract the attention, the roots make the strength, and the plant is a whole, not independent parts.

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 14 Jun 2018, 10:48

daytona wrote:I’m a bit bemused at the Mark Campbell response to be honest. If he had genuine aspirations to be a super league outfit I would have thought he would jump at a chance to a play off with another championship team for a place in super league. With Fevs budget as it is and being part time they have absolutely no chance of promotion through the middle eights. Maybe he is more interested in a few lucrative games against super league opponents in the eights series as it is even though they have little chance of winning them. I like the new proposals by Elstone as they are easier to understand and give a genuine chance for an ambitious Championship team to be promoted. For too long certain championship teams with poor attendances have been riding on the coat tails of the bigger clubs relying on a good away support to boost gate figures, rather than doing their own marketing and attracting more of their own fans. York are one shining light in league one showing it is possible to attract big Home gates with the correct marketing skills and some damn hard work.
To be fair, it is hardly suprising that most Championship/NL 1 teams find it difficult to attract fans. For most of the season what have they got to play for?

For most there is very little chance of promotion and one up one down will reduce further the number of teams with a chance. The format of the Challenge Cup was changed in favour of the top teams making it virtually impossible for non SL teams to progress in the competition and there are no other competitions available to them that they might have realistic chance of winning. Add to this fans don't know what sort of team they will be watching from one week to the next thanks to the nonsensical DR system, again created for the benefit of SL teams who want to save money by not running a reserve side.

Personally, I don't mind the idea of one up one down, provided that it will continue long-term and it is not a short-term fix to ensure that SL engineers the teams that it wants in the top league. There also needs to be support for the lower divisions both financially and in terms of giving them meaningful competitions to play in which they may have a chance of winning.

Marketing is useful but success on the field attracts support and that is what the lower leagues need as well as SL.

JIN JER
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by JIN JER » 14 Jun 2018, 11:49

It's all up in the air by the looks of it, we've been involved in the million pound game and it's horrific, nothing like losing in a grand final (I know I know), the pressure for us was if we'd lost we'd be down, never to return........But as a concept it works, the games in the middle 8's are generally interesting to watch, it also gives teams out of the top 8 something to play for. If the proposed one up one down does get introduced then what have the bottom four got to play for, that's the problem we had before the middle 8's were introduced.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 14 Jun 2018, 12:23

year after year the rl have done little to progress the sport to where it should the sl clubs exept leeds and hethrington have had enough and said ok we will do it ourselves
Vince Lombardi

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 14 Jun 2018, 13:23

tigerfeat wrote:year after year the rl have done little to progress the sport to where it should the sl clubs exept leeds and hethrington have had enough and said ok we will do it ourselves
Leeds and Hetherington as far as I can see are standing up for democracy and the little people. How the game is structured should be voted on by all parties.
The way Lenigan and his cronies have gone about things is to say you only get a vote if you sit at the top table, of which some of them voting may not be at come next season.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 14 Jun 2018, 13:27

i think your spot on it is what it is there will be change and theres nothing hethrington can do about it ...maybe try and form a breakaway league i dont know
Vince Lombardi

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 14 Jun 2018, 14:02

Sharlotiger wrote:
tigerfeat wrote:year after year the rl have done little to progress the sport to where it should the sl clubs exept leeds and hethrington have had enough and said ok we will do it ourselves
Leeds and Hetherington as far as I can see are standing up for democracy and the little people. How the game is structured should be voted on by all parties.
The way Lenigan and his cronies have gone about things is to say you only get a vote if you sit at the top table, of which some of them voting may not be at come next season.
The decision has been promoted by Super League Europe via the new CX who is directly responsible for the success/failure of the Super League. Whilst there may be a moral argument to consult the rest of the RFL, the new CX is not directly responsible.

I'm not suggesting there's is or going to be a split but for me, the SL CX's first responsibility is to the member Clubs.
Spreading the Cas gene pool

Tiger53
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tiger53 » 14 Jun 2018, 14:20

Flat Capper wrote:
Sharlotiger wrote:
The decision has been promoted by Super League Europe via the new CX who is directly responsible for the success/failure of the Super League. Whilst there may be a moral argument to consult the rest of the RFL, the new CX is not directly responsible.

I'm not suggesting there's is or going to be a split but for me, the SL CX's first responsibility is to the member Clubs.
And the RFLs first and only responsibility is to ALL clubs including, but not exclusively, SL clubs.