New league Format After 2019

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Fryston Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

New league Format After 2019

Post by Fryston Tiger » 12 Jun 2018, 17:53

What's everybody's thoughts?
Personally thought the Super 8s were ok and could've worked better with a few tweaks. Now we're going to be trying to sell yet another format change.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Re: New league Format After 2019

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Jun 2018, 18:17

Depends what the format is going to be. Not much has been said other than 1 up, 1 down.

If they're going to reduce down to 10 sides in Super League, then 10 teams in the next, and then a strong third division then it seems OK as long as the gaps aren't stupidly big.

However, we moan we have too many games so we're either going to run it as a 19 game season (H, A and Magic). Or we're going to have 28 and yet again another silly situation where we play each other 3 times.

Personally, I think we're better off sticking at 12 and having a 23 game season with play-offs, and more international games.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

orrsome
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by orrsome » 12 Jun 2018, 18:33

HuddsTigers wrote:Depends what the format is going to be. Not much has been said other than 1 up, 1 down.

If they're going to reduce down to 10 sides in Super League, then 10 teams in the next, and then a strong third division then it seems OK as long as the gaps aren't stupidly big.

However, we moan we have too many games so we're either going to run it as a 19 game season (H, A and Magic). Or we're going to have 28 and yet again another silly situation where we play each other 3 times.

Personally, I think we're better off sticking at 12 and having a 23 game season with play-offs, and more international games.
Probably expand Super League to 14 teams to accommodate Toronto, Toulouse and keep Catalans.

Sharlotiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Sharlotiger » 12 Jun 2018, 18:42

HuddsTigers wrote:Depends what the format is going to be. Not much has been said other than 1 up, 1 down.

The clubs wont stand for a reduction in games, they will want the 13 home games as per usual. So we either have a 10 team SL with everyone playing each other 3 times giving 13 home fixture, 13 away and a magic game. Or a 14 team league playing each other twice , 13 home , 13 away and maybe still have an extra for magic , again giving 27 fixtures.
They may well go back to the old format of 12 SL sides playing each other home and away then throw in a couple of sides you play 3 times to again give the magical 13 home fixtures plus a magic game to again reach 27 games in the regular season.
Personally I don't feel the game is strong enough to support 14 SL sides at present, the quality of player just isn't there and I can't see the money grabbing likes of Wigan,Saints and Wire wanting their cut of the SKY money spreading over 14 sides rather than the 12.
I suppose much will depend on what our paymasters at SKY want.

flow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by flow » 12 Jun 2018, 19:27

great fan off middle eights seems top teams cant handle ass twitching encase have bad season. Cant see championships clubs happy about it good money earner for them in middle eight playing super league teams . will turn into same couple off teams yo yo in up and down just swapping players over. we need that stadium believe me we are heading for a close shop again back to franchise system rich clubs what all the cake and eat it. ](*,) ](*,)

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 12 Jun 2018, 19:58

when you look over the years to justify their jobs and may I add their massive salary's, we change for the sake of it I am sure its made to look like the people at headquarters have their fingers on the pulse, if they could have had their way CAS would have ceased to exist on the implementation of super league , to cut the number of teams down to 10 is only to give the so called big clubs a bigger slice of the cake and bugger the consequences, cut a heartland club out you would lose the number of people at grass roots young lads watch their local heroes and want to follow in their footsteps

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 12 Jun 2018, 20:19

What I find myself stewing over is the fact Eamonn McManus is sitting smugly next to Róbert Elstone and is also flanked by Lenagan and Moran.

For once, I agree with Gary Hetherington, whom has a thinly veiled dig at that very situation.

Moran is loaded, Lenagan too, and McManus I suspect is also (despite looking to me like he spends his money on sinister things such as Hostel).

WHY...?
Audacter Et Sincere

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 12 Jun 2018, 20:46

Mysterio wrote:What I find myself stewing over is the fact Eamonn McManus is sitting smugly next to Róbert Elstone and is also flanked by Lenagan and Moran.

For once, I agree with Gary Hetherington, whom has a thinly veiled dig at that very situation.

Moran is loaded, Lenagan too, and McManus I suspect is also (despite looking to me like he spends his money on sinister things such as Hostel).

WHY...?
Exactly. No wonder the fans of those three treat us as second class. The message seems to be that those three run the show, although Elstone must have a soft spot for us.

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 12 Jun 2018, 21:02

They are totally self interested. The Super 8s ‘not working ‘ means they don’t work for Saints, Wire and particularly Wigan. They think they are entitled to always be in finals, that ‘small town teams’ need to be put in their place( unlike suburbs like St Helens and Wigan) and they will continually change formats and rules to ensure that their entitlement is extended.
Gary Hetherington IMO should be applauded for not joining the gang of bullies and standing up for the greater good of the game.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 12 Jun 2018, 21:13

GH, let's not forget, is a Cas bloke and supported Cas into adulthood. Yes, he's a Leeds CEO but he cares about the roots of the game.

Captain
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Captain » 12 Jun 2018, 21:31

Mysterio wrote:What I find myself stewing over is the fact Eamonn McManus is sitting smugly next to Róbert Elstone and is also flanked by Lenagan and Moran.

WHY...?
Who are those 3 to be sat at the top table with the boss like the 3 school swots sucking up to the headmaster. At least 2 of them bothered to put a shirt and tie on, Moran looks disinterested in his polo.

What must the other CEOs think of their preferential treatment? Thankfully one of them (GH) has had the courage to speak out over it.

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 12 Jun 2018, 21:46

There could be two ways they could go with the new structure. Expand it to 14 (or even 15/16 teams.) Then go with straight home and away fixtures (plus magic) then a top four play off) - with one or two teams going up and down. Negative is that the division below would be very weak. And would a small team (financial) survive in that for a season I know when we got relegated we needed straight promotion to avoid trouble.

Or my idea for the other way:

Four leagues of 10 teams. Each team plays each other three times plus magic. Top team goes straight to the final, which would finally bring meaning back to the league leaders shield. Then 2 - 5 play off for final spot.

2 up, 2 down with the championship playoffs working the same a super league with the 1st placed team gaining straight promotion and again 2 - 5 playing off for the last promotion spot.

Any relegated teams would still thrive in the league below

And you could have the bottom league of 10 (league 2) a sort of development league with teams in there like hemel, Nottingham, the two Welsh teams etc...

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 12 Jun 2018, 22:01

orrsome wrote:

Probably expand Super League to 14 teams to accommodate Toronto, Toulouse and keep Catalans.
So more cracking revenue brought in with all their away support...

TheSheriff
League One Player
League One Player

Post by TheSheriff » 12 Jun 2018, 23:10

Far too many games in the current format so all for getting rid of it.

sparky49
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by sparky49 » 12 Jun 2018, 23:13

To have a league that is fair to every team you have to play each team home and away and no third matches where you may play all the top teams away. Lets have a league of 13 then each team gets a free weekend at some point in the season. I know it would mean someone starting a week later and the teams getting a free weekend late on will benefit more but the only fair way to keep the same number of games is to have 14 teams. I would also do away with the magic weekend as a league fixture as again this makes it an unbalanced league. Either make the magic weekend cup matches or a 9 a side competition for all clubs.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 12 Jun 2018, 23:17

They won’t get rid of Magic and nor would I. It’s an event and rugby league needs events and big games.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 13 Jun 2018, 07:31

Agreed Magic ain't going anywhere. I would like to see a 9's tournament though, that would be really fun.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 13 Jun 2018, 09:16

I keep hearing two many games, in years gone by we had the league fixtures, john player, floodlight trophy, war of the roses, and the challenge cup played by part timers most of them in physically demanding jobs, to cut the number of fixtures the powers that be will want the same revenue hence an hike in season tickets and admission fee, you cant have your cake and eat it

WallTiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by WallTiger » 13 Jun 2018, 09:18

If Magic Weekend is to continue then the fixtures need to be more even rather than some of the gimmes that happen at the moment that make this extra fixture uneven and can provide an advantage/disadvantage to teams at the top/bottom.