Ben Roberts

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Ben Roberts

Post by cogito ergo sum » 25 May 2018, 11:41

ERG2012 wrote:I'm not just referring to sky games....
Sorry, I realised that, but my comment about Grant referred to our own sponsors MOM. Using only Sky games is a very small sample.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 25 May 2018, 11:44

Think roberts has shown much more than Sherwin. He pinched a wage.
Audacter Et Sincere

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 25 May 2018, 12:42

Skulcrusher wrote:
ERG2012 wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:He must be as frustrated as us. Players have injuries. It’s a fact - we can’t just fire someone for being injured.

I look at Webster when we signed him who was injury prone. Roberts needs to be managed and get his body into a right place. His contract is up next season so maybe that will be that but he has my support until he does.

Players don’t need bagging when they are injured. It’s a tough place to be in when all you want to do is help your mates, teammates and repay the fans.
Do you think he's giving us Value for money and justifying what he earns? That includes his efforts when he manages 80mins.

Month off with a calf problem and then crocked with a hamstring now....is his body not up to it?
He's never given us value for money. You can count his GOOD games on one hand. Get rid!!
Think that's incredibly harsh on him again.

Roberts has been fantastic at times and had a really good season when he signed his new deal. He's excellent defensively generally and he has some great footwork and speed. His biggest issue is fitness, and playing gametime to get back up to speed, match fitness and find form.

Granted he's had some poor games too but which Castleford player hasn't? It's a team game and we can't rely on Benny in the same way we rely on Gale or a full-back.

How do you define value for money? Playing games? What about if a player turned up and played every game but was rubbish in every game?

It's a physical sport - players get injured. It's a fact of life. Benny is at the age where they become more prevalent but I thoroughly believe that we're desperate to try and get our players back fit given our circumstances.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 25 May 2018, 12:44

Mysterio wrote:I’m not bagging Roberts per se.

What I am saying is that a club especially like ours cannot afford to have passengers. To that end, action needs to be taken.

A conversation needs to take place at the very least. Along the lines of ‘have you/your body had enough’ and/or ‘can we pay you off’
It can't have passengers but it also can't run without solid squad players. I like Roberts, when he's on his game, he's class. I think there's still a role for him at the club.

Where the club has to learn is that it can't afford to waste wages on players who aren't going to provide competition or get game time (Maher, Clark, Egodo etc). That's cap space that could be used on 1 or 2 more decent players.

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 25 May 2018, 13:44

Cruel to be kind...
Spreading the Cas gene pool

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 25 May 2018, 15:19

HuddsTigers wrote:
Skulcrusher wrote:
ERG2012 wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:He must be as frustrated as us. Players have injuries. It’s a fact - we can’t just fire someone for being injured.

I look at Webster when we signed him who was injury prone. Roberts needs to be managed and get his body into a right place. His contract is up next season so maybe that will be that but he has my support until he does.

Players don’t need bagging when they are injured. It’s a tough place to be in when all you want to do is help your mates, teammates and repay the fans.
Do you think he's giving us Value for money and justifying what he earns? That includes his efforts when he manages 80mins.

Month off with a calf problem and then crocked with a hamstring now....is his body not up to it?
He's never given us value for money. You can count his GOOD games on one hand. Get rid!!
Think that's incredibly harsh on him again.

Roberts has been fantastic at times and had a really good season when he signed his new deal. He's excellent defensively generally and he has some great footwork and speed. His biggest issue is fitness, and playing gametime to get back up to speed, match fitness and find form.

Granted he's had some poor games too but which Castleford player hasn't? It's a team game and we can't rely on Benny in the same way we rely on Gale or a full-back.

How do you define value for money? Playing games? What about if a player turned up and played every game but was rubbish in every game?

It's a physical sport - players get injured. It's a fact of life. Benny is at the age where they become more prevalent but I thoroughly believe that we're desperate to try and get our players back fit given our circumstances.
I appreciate its a very physical sport and injuries occur. However I see this as value for money.

Its a guide of quality that assesses the cost/outlay of the product or in our case player against the quality of performance

Influential in the outcome - he's a senior player in the spine.
Gives direction and guidance to compliment the team game plan - as he's bags of experience and an international standard half.
Plays at a 7+/10 weekly we can all a have an off day granted

I'm just not seeing any of it.....

Its nothing to do with his ability or commitment it's no point in having a decent chunk of the salary cap sat in the stands or performing one game in six of notability.

I could list a fair few players giving VOM alas Benny ain't one.

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 25 May 2018, 15:22

Mysterio wrote:Think roberts has shown much more than Sherwin. He pinched a wage.
Very similar with the exception benny has been playing in a better team that shifty was they both show glimpses but always out weighed by the fact they have there own space on injury beds. Both very frustrating players probably very frustrated themselves they want to achieve but the body isn't holding up.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 25 May 2018, 15:29

My only other point to throw into here is why aren’t people slagging off Eden in the same vein? Great year last season but been injured all this, as well as for the back end last year. Not saying we should but seems a bit hypocritical to slag off Roberts when he played 25 games out of what, 34 last season?

And 11 out of 15 this season too. A Grand Total of 13 out of 59.

The Badger

Post by The Badger » 25 May 2018, 15:35

Normally he is very reliable in defence and rarely misses a tackle. Last night he was often shooting out from the line leaving gaps for Sts to exploit. I can only think he was put in at center for his D and shooting out of the line was something that was practiced all week to close down Barba. But either the timing was wrong or his team mates didn’t move across and cover him (this was most obvious for the Peyroux try). What I am saying is he may have looked bad but he was trying to carry out his role in a defensive system designed to stop Sts that in reality just didn’t work the whole team got it wrong but Roberts here is being unfairly scapegoated for me.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 25 May 2018, 15:44

thought he was having a decent game until he came off. he certainly looked dejected whenever the camera went on him in the dug out.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 25 May 2018, 16:29

HuddsTigers wrote:My only other point to throw into here is why aren’t people slagging off Eden in the same vein? Great year last season but been injured all this, as well as for the back end last year. Not saying we should but seems a bit hypocritical to slag off Roberts when he played 25 games out of what, 34 last season?

To reiterate injuries aside...
Eden is paid to score tries and start sets
I think he offers value for money.

Its a debate on whether he offers value for money not how many appearances he makes.
O'Loughlin doesn't play week in week out for Wigan but tell me he doesn't have impact or influence....

So in a nutshell "I don't think Ben Roberts offers castleford tigers value for money"

the happy hooker9
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Doing Spins, Backdrops and kicks on the dance floor

Post by the happy hooker9 » 25 May 2018, 16:31

As I've banged on on this site time and time again one of the major faults throughout my time of supporting Cas is when have an injury crisis its Square Pegs in Round Holes.......in past years when Chuck was injured Derek Edwards played 6 or Heppy moved to 6 and a whole team shuffle ensuded............... I know we had little option but.........
FFS last night we had (to start) a Centre at FB, a Forward in the Centre, a Half Back at Centre, then when Benny was injured god knows, against a pretty decent Saints back line, is there any wonder we got crucified in the backs

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 25 May 2018, 16:34

the happy hooker9 wrote:As I've banged on on this site time and time again one of the major faults throughout my time of supporting Cas is when have an injury crisis its Square Pegs in Round Holes.......in past years when Chuck was injured Derek Edwards played 6 or Heppy moved to 6 and a whole team shuffle ensuded............... I know we had little option but.........
FFS last night we had (to start) a Centre at FB, a Forward in the Centre, a Half Back at Centre, then when Benny was injured god knows, against a pretty decent Saints back line, is there any wonder we got crucified in the backs
Correct To much mixing and matching.
It just won’t work in the modern game.
There’s a natural fullback at the club and for some reason Powell won’t try him.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 25 May 2018, 16:41

Unfortunately, injuries are part of RL. However. Roberts just seems to pick up so many.
My biggest issue with Ben is that he has more anonymous or poor games than good ones. When he’s good he can be very good, but it’s just not often enough I don’t think.
I think Trueman offers a more rounded game in the halves. I’d wouldn’t be disappointed to see Roberts go at the end of the year, but it’s based on his erratic performances rather than his injuries.

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 25 May 2018, 19:13

ERG2012 wrote:
HuddsTigers wrote:My only other point to throw into here is why aren’t people slagging off Eden in the same vein? Great year last season but been injured all this, as well as for the back end last year. Not saying we should but seems a bit hypocritical to slag off Roberts when he played 25 games out of what, 34 last season?

Its a debate on whether he offers value for money not how many appearances he makes.
O'Loughlin doesn't play week in week out for Wigan but tell me he doesn't have impact or influence....

So in a nutshell "I don't think Ben Roberts offers castleford tigers value for money"
Agree

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 25 May 2018, 19:45

Can’t work the maths out on that mate

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 25 May 2018, 19:56

Tamworth Tiger wrote:

He played 25/34 last season - missed 9 games
Played 11/15 this season missing 4 games

9+4 = 13. He’s missed 13 games out of 59 we have played in across last season and this.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 25 May 2018, 20:04

ERG2012 wrote:

Eden is also paid to do a lot more like keep them out, catch high balls too.

Fact is, every player has strengths and weaknesses, good days and bad. He hasn’t hit form lately but I don’t think he’s ever been fit to and being shifted around the team from FB to SO to C can’t help either. He’s got a year to get fit and prove his worth but I’d like to think we support a player when he needs it. He must feel like crap as it is without fans turning against him too.

It’s time for him to prove the doubters wrong and I hope he does it. I genuinely believe a fit on form Benny is better with us than against us.

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 25 May 2018, 20:23

HuddsTigers wrote:
Tamworth Tiger wrote:

He played 25/34 last season - missed 9 games
Played 11/15 this season missing 4 games

9+4 = 13. He’s missed 13 games out of 59 we have played in across last season and this.
34 + 15 = 49 Hudds. His full record at Cas is :-

2015 - pld 26 of 31 games
2016 - pld 05 of 32 games
2017 - pld 25 of 34 games
2018 - pld 11 of 15 games

Total of 67 appearances from a possible 112.
Which is just under 60%.
Now he'll be out for another 6 weeks.
Of course this doesn't tell the full story, if you add in all the minutes he's missed in games that he has appeared in, either through being injured or coming back from the bench then I don't think it's unfair to class him as injury prone or question whether his salary is a wise investment.

nottinghamtiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by nottinghamtiger » 25 May 2018, 20:37

Fit or not, he’s been overtaken by Trueman in the halves and his stint at full-back was nothing short of a disaster.
It’s important we have competition for places, but in a salary-capped it has to be balanced by how much of the cap a back-up player takes up, particularly one who is injured so much of the time.