Ben Roberts

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
InTheKnow
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Ben Roberts

Post by InTheKnow » 25 May 2018, 07:38

Benny ain't good enough. He has only ever shown glimpses of how good he is. Never has he been consistent. Add to that his injury issues..... I think it's time to slowly take him out of the 17 until his contract is up.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 25 May 2018, 07:39

How long as benny left on his contract ? we as a club will have to honour it CAS with its limited financial clout can not afford to have people who are continually crocked, the lad is by his sell by date and should be released if the club can reach an agreement

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 25 May 2018, 08:17

Straight swap with Leeds for Joel Moon

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 25 May 2018, 08:48

HuddsTigers wrote:He must be as frustrated as us. Players have injuries. It’s a fact - we can’t just fire someone for being injured.

I look at Webster when we signed him who was injury prone. Roberts needs to be managed and get his body into a right place. His contract is up next season so maybe that will be that but he has my support until he does.

Players don’t need bagging when they are injured. It’s a tough place to be in when all you want to do is help your mates, teammates and repay the fans.
:clap:

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 25 May 2018, 08:54

ERG2012 wrote:Straight swap with Leeds for Joel Moon
Nobody will want Roberts on current form/injuries sad but true,remember he wasn’t even our first choice stand off last season.

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 25 May 2018, 08:56

Posted elsewhere when he was announced in the 19 man squad that we should def not play him this week and give him another solid week to build himself back up. Maybe he would've still injured himself but we can't keep rushing players back.

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 25 May 2018, 08:57

tallguyx wrote:
ERG2012 wrote:Straight swap with Leeds for Joel Moon
Nobody will want Roberts on current form/injuries sad but true,remember he wasn’t even our first choice stand off last season.
Think ERG just may have been joking.

alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Post by alftupper » 25 May 2018, 09:29

His time at Cas has been disappointing in the context of his NRL pedigree. He spent his first season playing second fiddle behind Liam Finn and since then has shown flashes of class between being sidelined through injury but he is as likely to find the 5th row of the main stand as throw a defence splitting pass. It’s going to be a long 18 months watching him see out his contract.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 25 May 2018, 10:22

I’m not bagging Roberts per se.

What I am saying is that a club especially like ours cannot afford to have passengers. To that end, action needs to be taken.

A conversation needs to take place at the very least. Along the lines of ‘have you/your body had enough’ and/or ‘can we pay you off’
Audacter Et Sincere

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 25 May 2018, 10:41

HuddsTigers wrote:He must be as frustrated as us. Players have injuries. It’s a fact - we can’t just fire someone for being injured.

I look at Webster when we signed him who was injury prone. Roberts needs to be managed and get his body into a right place. His contract is up next season so maybe that will be that but he has my support until he does.

Players don’t need bagging when they are injured. It’s a tough place to be in when all you want to do is help your mates, teammates and repay the fans.
I bagged him when he was playing because he’s poor.never been good enough and in no way deserve the 4 year deal he’s currently in the middle of.add to the that that he’s injury prone.time to get shut.probably taking up a big chunk of cap aswel

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 25 May 2018, 10:47

Thought he was quality yesterday, whilst it lasted. But there lies the problem, he's injury prone.

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 25 May 2018, 10:53

Ask yourself this..... When was the last time he won MOM
Your spine has the most influence on the match result so more likely that a spine player will be selected. Or at least up there in contention.

Shame he's not as durable and as consistent as Macca or Millington.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 25 May 2018, 10:59

ERG2012 wrote:Ask yourself this..... When was the last time he won MOM
Your spine has the most influence on the match result so more likely that a spine player will be selected. Or at least up there in contention.
I know what you mean, but I wouldn't be using MOM as a measure. Most choices baffle me, and even Barry Mac commented on they Sky MOM " Don't blame me, I don't pick it". I'm not sure how often Grant gets MOM, but he's my best Cas player currently.

ERG2012
League One Player
League One Player

Post by ERG2012 » 25 May 2018, 11:03

I'm not just referring to sky games....

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 25 May 2018, 11:34

Ben Roberts = Brent Sherwin the second

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 25 May 2018, 11:41

ERG2012 wrote:I'm not just referring to sky games....
Sorry, I realised that, but my comment about Grant referred to our own sponsors MOM. Using only Sky games is a very small sample.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 25 May 2018, 11:44

Think roberts has shown much more than Sherwin. He pinched a wage.
Audacter Et Sincere

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 25 May 2018, 12:42

Skulcrusher wrote:
ERG2012 wrote:

Do you think he's giving us Value for money and justifying what he earns? That includes his efforts when he manages 80mins.

Month off with a calf problem and then crocked with a hamstring now....is his body not up to it?
He's never given us value for money. You can count his GOOD games on one hand. Get rid!!
Think that's incredibly harsh on him again.

Roberts has been fantastic at times and had a really good season when he signed his new deal. He's excellent defensively generally and he has some great footwork and speed. His biggest issue is fitness, and playing gametime to get back up to speed, match fitness and find form.

Granted he's had some poor games too but which Castleford player hasn't? It's a team game and we can't rely on Benny in the same way we rely on Gale or a full-back.

How do you define value for money? Playing games? What about if a player turned up and played every game but was rubbish in every game?

It's a physical sport - players get injured. It's a fact of life. Benny is at the age where they become more prevalent but I thoroughly believe that we're desperate to try and get our players back fit given our circumstances.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 25 May 2018, 12:44

Mysterio wrote:I’m not bagging Roberts per se.

What I am saying is that a club especially like ours cannot afford to have passengers. To that end, action needs to be taken.

A conversation needs to take place at the very least. Along the lines of ‘have you/your body had enough’ and/or ‘can we pay you off’
It can't have passengers but it also can't run without solid squad players. I like Roberts, when he's on his game, he's class. I think there's still a role for him at the club.

Where the club has to learn is that it can't afford to waste wages on players who aren't going to provide competition or get game time (Maher, Clark, Egodo etc). That's cap space that could be used on 1 or 2 more decent players.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Flat Capper
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by Flat Capper » 25 May 2018, 13:44

Cruel to be kind...
Spreading the Cas gene pool