Ben Roberts

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
bane73
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: Ben Roberts

Post by bane73 » 10 Aug 2018, 16:34

Saw him up at junction 32 this morning and he looked fine, no limp, carrying one of his kids.
what doesn't kill me simply makes me...stranger.

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 10 Aug 2018, 17:43

Strikes me as the exact type of player who could suffer with nerves and anxiety etc. Hope he’s ok.
Audacter Et Sincere

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 11 Aug 2018, 09:43

If Ben Roberts was a race horse they would of shot him a long time ago
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 11 Aug 2018, 10:09

Wells said last night he could be back for the back end of the Super 8s.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 11 Aug 2018, 10:48

HuddsTigers wrote:Wells said last night he could be back for the back end of the Super 8s.
For how many minutes?! :roll:

SREGITSAC
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by SREGITSAC » 11 Aug 2018, 16:32

If people got their way and he and Jamie leave who will next years target be? Wonder if Gale will get another injury and take the honour

jackknife
Verified

Post by jackknife » 11 Aug 2018, 17:22

Young Trueman would be an easy target
CLASSY CAS FOREVER

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 11 Aug 2018, 17:55

SREGITSAC wrote:If people got their way and he and Jamie leave who will next years target be? Wonder if Gale will get another injury and take the honour
Can't recall a player having an injury record like Roberts at Cas before. Big money. Key position. Important player and must have missed virtually 2 seasons out of the 5 (?) He has been here. It's not like he is a bench fodder squad man. He must take up a chunk of cap and a quota spot we can't afford to carry him. I know it is not all his fault but the team suffers. On top of that he is so inconsistent when he plays. Can be class but can be dire/anonymous week to week.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 11 Aug 2018, 18:21

To be honest he didn't get off to the best of starts a player who's being starting for the Melbourne storm at half - back id expect to be selected over liam Finn
Last edited by tigerfeat on 11 Aug 2018, 18:29, edited 1 time in total.
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

Tigersbarmy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigersbarmy » 11 Aug 2018, 18:27

RonnieGibbs'forearm wrote:
SREGITSAC wrote:If people got their way and he and Jamie leave who will next years target be? Wonder if Gale will get another injury and take the honour
Can't recall a player having an injury record like Roberts at Cas before. Big money. Key position. Important player and must have missed virtually 2 seasons out of the 5 (?) He has been here. It's not like he is a bench fodder squad man. He must take up a chunk of cap and a quota spot we can't afford to carry him. I know it is not all his fault but the team suffers. On top of that he is so inconsistent when he plays. Can be class but can be dire/anonymous week to week.
Mate please get yours facts right , he’s been here since 2015 , hows that 5 years ?

Spanishtiger
Verified

Post by Spanishtiger » 11 Aug 2018, 18:30

He's appeared in 67 out of a possible 122 games over the last 4 seasons

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 11 Aug 2018, 18:38

Tigersbarmy wrote:
Mate please get yours facts right , he’s been here since 2015 , hows that 5 years ?
It isn't 5 years then is it. The 'fact' I put a question mark was a clue that I wasn't saying it was fact mate. Please check your reading. 2015 season to now is 4 seasons though. Are my 'facts' right that he has missed nearly 2 of those seasons? :-k

RonnieGibbs'forearm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by RonnieGibbs'forearm » 11 Aug 2018, 18:40

Spanishtiger wrote:He's appeared in 67 out of a possible 122 games over the last 4 seasons
So just over half. How many of those appearances were cameos and cut short I wonder? More than enough to justify concerns and some criticisms.

Tigersbarmy
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Tigersbarmy » 11 Aug 2018, 19:42

Tigersbarmy wrote:
It isn't 5 years then is it. The 'fact' I put a question mark was a clue that I wasn't saying it was fact mate. Please check your reading. 2015 season to now is 4 seasons though. Are my 'facts' right that he has missed nearly 2 of those seasons? :-k
‘Must have missed virtually 2 seasons out of the 5 ‘ mate , we didn’t sign him in 2012 , how long you been a fan ?

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 11 Aug 2018, 21:39

The simple way of putting it is that he has appeared in 55% of games in all the time that he has been here (4 seasons). That is not value for money in anyone’s book. On his day he can turn a game and is a pleasure to watch but can any club afford to have, presumably, a high earning player sat doing nothing for 45% of the time? I’m not saying he is at fault for getting injured, nobody does it on purpose, but it is a business and would anyone here stay in their job if they only turned in until Wednesday afternoon every week? Probably not. The flip side about Roberts though is that he is the type of player that is good enough to come back into the squad with 3 games to go, produce a few moments of magic and take us to Old Trafford. Peoples concerns about him are justified though, in my opinion, as he’s off the field for roughly the same amount of time as he is on it.

The Firm
League One Player
League One Player

Post by The Firm » 11 Aug 2018, 22:40

Tigersbarmy wrote:
Tigersbarmy wrote:
‘Must have missed virtually 2 seasons out of the 5 ‘ mate , we didn’t sign him in 2012 , how long you been a fan ?
He put 5 seasons with a question mark. He’s been here 4, so he was a year out. What’s 2012 got to do with it? He’s missed nearly half of the games during his time here, so about 2 seasons worth. If your going to be a pendantic prat get your facts right.

As for Roberts he’s been a waste of money. If he’d take a pay off i’d get shut of him tomorrow.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 11 Aug 2018, 23:02

I’d be intrigued to see how many games others have missed/not played in by comparison.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

MØL
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by MØL » 12 Aug 2018, 00:01

Appearances since 2015 (Super League only):

Milner - 105‎
Millington - 104‎
Gale - 95
McShane - 89 (from Super 8's 2015)
McMeeken - 88‎
Massey - 87‎
Cook - 85
Webster - 85
Moors - 84
Shenton - 76
Holmes - 72
Roberts - 68‎
Springer - 57 (from July 2015)
Last edited by MØL on 12 Aug 2018, 00:13, edited 2 times in total.

westerbeast
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by westerbeast » 12 Aug 2018, 00:03

Must be getting well paid for the picture of him eating the raw steak on the side of the beer tent. Made of biscuit to be honest. When he does play he's a better tackler than he is in attack. Time to get rid to be honest he's done well out of Cas no matter how long it is he's been here. You lot need to grow up.

duke street 10
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by duke street 10 » 12 Aug 2018, 07:57

We have certainly missed his defence this year.

However he has simply missed too many games to be counted on. I agree with The Firm if we can get shut we have to explore this.