Saints

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
alftupper
League One Player
League One Player

Re: Saints

Post by alftupper » 13 May 2018, 13:23

betts21 wrote:wardle to back row
But who would you drop, is it a case that because he was our one and only big signing we must accommodate him?

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 13 May 2018, 13:54

alftupper wrote:
But who would you drop, is it a case that because he was our one and only big signing we must accommodate him?
You accommodate the players who train best and are on top of there game regardless of names.

betts21
League One Player
League One Player

Post by betts21 » 13 May 2018, 14:04

old cas lass wrote:
alftupper wrote:
You accommodate the players who train best and are on top of there game regardless of names.
On form he'd probably drop out but I was more going towards if he's in the team play him in his strongest position and if oggys is out next week maybe he gets his shot then.

the happy hooker9
Academy Player
Academy Player
Location: Doing Spins, Backdrops and kicks on the dance floor

Post by the happy hooker9 » 13 May 2018, 14:14

Watching game from sunny SPAIN our left hand shift play is now well and truly overplayed...with Zac it was highly effective now we just stutter and fumble..we need an alternative how well did stains use inside ball to Barba v effective play.
Forget about McShane at half back as this restricts go forward from ptb...big rap to forwards as they held their own ..backs very poor...DP has fallen in into to old Cad mentality of when an established player is injured let's chop n change side rather than bring in player in HIS preferred position. Well never know if Turner is good enough for SL as he NEVER gets chance to play in HIS position. Trueman IS 8a half back so fed play him there....we've lost a game chopping and changing and we still are no further forward in developing/deciding if these guys will be the real deal

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 13 May 2018, 14:26

the happy hooker9 wrote:Watching game from sunny SPAIN our left hand shift play is now well and truly overplayed...with Zac it was highly effective now we just stutter and fumble..we need an alternative how well did stains use inside ball to Barba v effective play.
Forget about McShane at half back as this restricts go forward from ptb...big rap to forwards as they held their own ..backs very poor...DP has fallen in into to old Cad mentality of when an established player is injured let's chop n change side rather than bring in player in HIS preferred position. Well never know if Turner is good enough for SL as he NEVER gets chance to play in HIS position. Trueman IS 8a half back so fed play him there....we've lost a game chopping and changing and we still are no further forward in developing/deciding if these guys will be the real deal
i think this is right m8.no need to move everyone around-play them in their best positions and use the squad players to fill in.unfortunately we are looking dire in the halves but I would go with Truman and play turner at fullback.hoping if and when Roberts is back he shows us some of last years form.

Scoopage
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Scoopage » 13 May 2018, 17:08

Don’t hold your breath on that one mate

baldtiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by baldtiger » 13 May 2018, 19:38

I must admit Ive thought that for a while now . I would love to see the young lads coming though given a proper go in there rightful positions and now is the time ! Turner is a fullback ! Trueman should be in the halves ! yes there will be mistakes but there is no better way to learn and I recon we would still win enough games to be in the top 8 . I believe these 2 are going to be class players given time ! I would hate em to go else where because they feel there not given enough opportunities !

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 13 May 2018, 19:41

Nobody mentioned the potential impact of having Wells as director of rugby. He should come into his own as we begin to build for next year.

classysupercas3
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classysupercas3 » 13 May 2018, 21:14

flow wrote:
Fumper27 wrote:
Casmoley wrote:you sound like me Fumper, asking the same questions but you only ever get one answer! ](*,)
Exactly. People moan but have nothing to back themselves up. Since October, only Gareth O’Brien has become available but Toronto blew anyone out of the water on him
to be fare we have done this year what we have done most years trying to recruit on the cheap. And hope that they turn into good players but this year this as not happened apart from watts and wardle its being pretty much a disaster . powell went to Australia for two weeks and had chance to find full back. You cant tell me they were no up and coming fullbacks there biting at the bit for an opportunity instead gambled with Roberts another failed gamble. So I think people can moan a bit they do pay there money to watch every week. ](*,) ](*,)
Well said old lad. Some on here just listen to the clubs spin

Tamworth Tiger
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by Tamworth Tiger » 13 May 2018, 21:57

It’s a bit hard to listen to the club’s spin because they tell us so little. Most of us try and read between the lines just like you do but sometimes take a different view, that’s all

Show 'n' Go
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Show 'n' Go » 13 May 2018, 23:28

I thought Trueman started to look good in the halves. Comanded the ball a lot more in the 25 mins or so he was on than Ellis. I'd start with Ellis & Trueman 6&7 and move Macca back to 9. He works his plums off at 7, but we lost a lot of place at the PTB when he's not there.

For what it's worth, I thought Shenton looked good at Fullback, joined into the line nicely and his flick pass to Minikin was superb. Although I do agree with the Turner comments, he looked steady away against a big, physical Hull side. Surely if he's good enough for England U19's, he at least deserves a full 80 minutes in a Cas shirt?

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 13 May 2018, 23:33

init wrote:Im actually quite shocked at some of the posts on here ...

Yesterday i saw a patched up team give the 'best' team in the league a hell of a game.

In the first half we were the best team on that pitch by a country mile.....without the bounce of the ball and remember we were attacking at the time......Saints only managed to score two lucky long range trys.......on a normal day we would of scored or most likely saints would have been playing the ball on their try line.

After 3/4 gimme penalties from Child saints ended up going for two because they could not score.

I watched my team playing passionate committed rugby yesterday a team devastated by injuries ..... yes it was disjointed in attack.....that was to be expected....however that team ....my team gave 100%.... and that is exactly what we ask from them.

All of you having a go please watch the game back....the difference between us( patched up injury riddled) and best team in the leaque was ben barba.....he is world class...head and shoulders above anyone else in super league and did all the damage against us......without him yesterday it would have been a completely different game.
spot on for me mate, couldn't have put it better.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 13 May 2018, 23:42

aston is the biggest puzzle for me, I just can't understand why we signed him when he couldn't get a game for fev in the time he was loaned there from leeds. powells last comment on him was "he has to show me in training that he is good enough and at the moment he isn't". bottom line is we aren't the same team without gale and hardaker.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

classysupercas3
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by classysupercas3 » 14 May 2018, 07:33

Tamworth Tiger wrote:It’s a bit hard to listen to the club’s spin because they tell us so little. Most of us try and read between the lines just like you do but sometimes take a different view, that’s all
Tami by the clubs spin I mean nobody was available or we couldn't sign anybody to fill in until a permanent top class fullback is found.then Roberts will prove himself a good fullback along with Eden and trueman.well none has proved themselves to a satisfactory degree,and is part of the reason why we are not completing fully.

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 14 May 2018, 09:05

the only reason that young Turner is not being picked must be he does not show that he is ready in training, I would love to see the lad have a go at his position in the first team Benny and Eden have shown nothing when playing out of position Trueman is a better half back than a full back

heritage1926
League One Player
League One Player

Post by heritage1926 » 14 May 2018, 09:25

lurcher wrote:aston is the biggest puzzle for me, I just can't understand why we signed him when he couldn't get a game for fev in the time he was loaned there from leeds. powells last comment on him was "he has to show me in training that he is good enough and at the moment he isn't". bottom line is we aren't the same team without gale and hardaker.
I believe Leeds signed him due to helping easing Sheffields finanical struggles, maybe we have done the same? after all, Powell and Aston are good buddies...

Bramley Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Bramley Tiger » 14 May 2018, 09:30

gateman wrote:the only reason that young Turner is not being picked must be he does not show that he is ready in training, I would love to see the lad have a go at his position in the first team Benny and Eden have shown nothing when playing out of position Trueman is a better half back than a full back
still I think its time for him to play as we are really struggling especially in attack.before the hull match it was its not the right game to try him out and we ended up through injury playing him on the wing.don't try him against the best team st helens if we want a cup run.no doubt some will be of the opinion magic weekend is too big an occasion for him to play at fullback but I think he should be given the spot as our patched up versions are losing anyway.blood the kid and see what he's made of-if it doesn't come off are we really any worse off?if it does come off maybe our season takes off.

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 14 May 2018, 10:06

Really disappointed with the end result but thought for the majority of the game we were well in with a chance to win it. Our defence first half was strong and as you all know was only broken by two break away tries. At least for the second one we had someone sweeping and almost got to barba if only it was a better attempt at a tackle.

We had chances to tick the scoreboard over and didn’t take them. I may sound like stevo here but there were a few times we could’ve slotted a drop goal over, ball back and keep Saints defending in the first half. Thought we were also harshly done to with the protecting the ball catcher. Wardle penalised but had stood still, where as saints were stepping into minikins path. Sure one led to a 20 tap and another to one of the tries.

We seemed to panic on the last tackle if we got the ball back, Webster’s kick in, Shennys flick pass. We need to build pressure and not force it every set of 6.

Backs were light on quality and first choice players in their positions, with others moved around. I’d rather see the fit players play in their positions and blood a youngster in their position in a stronger squad ie Turner.

Wardle I don’t think is fit. Did he not pick up a rib/chest injury and he seems to struggle with that area.

Out of the cup now so let’s target league games and make these 2 in hand count.

Long live the Tigers!!!

gateman
Championship Player
Championship Player

Post by gateman » 14 May 2018, 20:01

the next time we play Saints it is the week before they play their cup round V Hull there is a good chance that they may rest one or two, I would like to play them without Ali Barber in there squad as I think we had there measure him aside