“I know which team I’d rather be coaching at the minute”

All things related to the Castleford Tigers.
Lofthouse Tiger
Academy Player
Academy Player

Re: “I know which team I’d rather be coaching at the minute”

Post by Lofthouse Tiger » 24 Mar 2018, 12:56

It is all good and well to not like losing or be a bad loser but do it with dignity and give due credit. This clown always blames everything but his team when they lose.

Sky are just as bad. Their enthusiasm levels are through tge roof when Leeds do domething well. They were embarrassingly biased last night, more than usual. Its quite pathetic really.

Just a word on missing players, Cas had 6 missing, although Watts shouldnt really count, but this wasnt mentioned once all night.

I am also glad that he would rather coach Leeds than us. You have 1000s agreeing with you on that Brian.

tallguyx
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by tallguyx » 24 Mar 2018, 13:28

He's a average coach of a average team.. They only have 3 or 4 players that would get into our team. They only cake back in to the match after halls won penalties and a dubious at best video ref try. Like Wilkin alluded to last week they just stick to same plan. A bit of niggling and wrestling.

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 24 Mar 2018, 13:31

It’s a hard quote to understand but the impression that Leeds fans were getting is that he meant he’d rather coach a side that never gives up and fights until the very end than a team that plays for 25 mins and then nearly chokes.

To be fair, all I care about is the end scoreline and I’d rather be coaching a side that scored 25 and concedes only 24.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 24 Mar 2018, 13:43

I watched a Brian Mac interview after we put 60 past them last year. He said that his team could still win the Grand Final.
I posted this on the forum, with a smile, but he was the one laughing in October.

old cas lass
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by old cas lass » 24 Mar 2018, 14:21

HuddsTigers wrote:It’s a hard quote to understand but the impression that Leeds fans were getting is that he meant he’d rather coach a side that never gives up and fights until the very end than a team that plays for 25 mins and then nearly chokes.

To be fair, all I care about is the end scoreline and I’d rather be coaching a side that scored 25 and concedes only 24.

Didn’t Leeds choke in that first 25mins.
Looked to me like they did.

derbystiger
League One Player
League One Player

Post by derbystiger » 24 Mar 2018, 14:22

HuddsTigers wrote:It’s a hard quote to understand but the impression that Leeds fans were getting is that he meant he’d rather coach a side that never gives up and fights until the very end than a team that plays for 25 mins and then nearly chokes.

I'm forced to agree with Hudds again! :lol: Let's take it down to basics, its an 80 min game and the aim is to have more points on the board at the end of that 80 mins than the opposition. Simples! Our lads did their job again for the 4th game in a row, so whatever McDermott said or says I couldn't care less about. We won! :dance: :dance:

Squaddie86
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by Squaddie86 » 24 Mar 2018, 14:33

tallguyx wrote:He's a average coach of a average team..

You mean the grand final winners in 2 of the last 3 years?

As for McDermotts comment... he's backing his players. What's he supposed to do? Say he hates them and wants to be our coach instead?

People are reading far too much into this.

Cas won by the skin of our teeth, 2 points is 2 points but if i were Powell I'd be peppering our back 3 with high balls all day long on Monday until they learn how to defend them.

CasRus
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by CasRus » 24 Mar 2018, 14:54

Another thing I'd like to add in respect of what needs to be addressed apart from the high ball kick weaknesses we do not seem to be able to defend, is decision making.

When we had Singleton sin binned mid second half and we had the opportunity to take 2 more points and get the ball back from kick off with 7 minutes remaining against 12 men and to instantly make the lead 17 points instead of 15, why didn't we ??? sure it still remains three try scores and conversions to overcome us, but this was increasing our chances to win from the fact that all 3 efforts for conversions would have had to go over rather than two - it was lucky their last try was in the corner and Watkins was crap at kicking having missed 2 out of 3 in total from their 3 tries which is what saved us from defeat. Decision making at strategic points within the game is what they also need to learn in my opinion.

tigerfeat
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by tigerfeat » 24 Mar 2018, 15:00

When powell saw cameras on him at full-time he had the omg how bad were we face on ..underneath table he would have been pumping his fist and thinking get in there you little beauty
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have
Vince Lombardi

init
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by init » 24 Mar 2018, 15:19

McD might prefer Rhinos....We prefer DP.....lets all thank god we dont have McBannana.......Now thats how to take a team and turn them into a tier 3 conference squad ....... quality.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 24 Mar 2018, 21:34

ERG2012 wrote:There Noticeable Absentees
Garbutt
Cuthertson
Ward
Kienhorst
Petreau (though he's only made one appearance this year)
Ferres (he adds nothing to Leeds and he's a liability)

Leeds fans also add Galloway and Ormonroyd to the list....

They're just clutching at straws. Every team has injuries. Weren't complaining last week were they....
whilst I like keinhorst, handley has replaced him and got mom in leeds last 2 games so would he be in even if he was fit.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Mysterio
League One Player
League One Player

Post by Mysterio » 25 Mar 2018, 05:52

Genuinely in the past have thought handley was very nearly the worst Leeds player of all time, but he played incredibly well after looking out of his depth eselriee....resembling the entire le es team really!

Unless we made him look a world beater....
Audacter Et Sincere

da_jimbob_7
League One Player
League One Player
Twitter: Jimmothylad

Post by da_jimbob_7 » 25 Mar 2018, 09:25

I was unfortunate to be watching the game in the Leeds end and they hate ash handley, think he’s a liability and have a big issue that he doesn’t pass the ball. They couldn’t believe we made him look so good.

Long live the Tigers!!!

fords
League One Player
League One Player

Post by fords » 26 Mar 2018, 18:51

da_jimbob_7 wrote:I was unfortunate to be watching the game in the Leeds end and they hate ash handley, think he’s a liability and have a big issue that he doesn’t pass the ball. They couldn’t believe we made him look so good.
Our def was shocking on him tbf

Hiddentiger

Post by Hiddentiger » 26 Mar 2018, 20:21

As always have enjoyed reading posts following on from the Rhinos game - predictably they range from the astute / witty to the downright laughably blinkered. Comments on Leeds's forum just the same. Here for what it's worth is my attempt at a balanced view:

Both squads were short of around six players through a combination of injury and suspension so that sort of cancels each other out.
Most Rhinos fans I know dislike Elland Road and much prefer Headingley. I reckon it's almost like a neutral venue - not Leeds's and not Cas's.
Cas showed that they are the more dynamic, quick ball handling team.
Rhinos showed that they are the more resilient, methodical team (with the occassional touch of flair from esp. Joel Moon).
Gale's quality kicking / Watkins's average kicking was the difference on the night - other than that not a lot to choose between the teams.

Just a couple of things from other posts which made me laugh/cry/wonder

How is going the full length of the field ever going to be 'lucky'?
Why does Brian McDermott need media training - so he can trot out the usual innane platitudes and meaningless tosh most sports 'managers' seem to excel in. I think both he and Powell are good to listen to and generally honest in their assessments.
Surely an 'average' team would win about half their games and generally finish mid table - neither Leeds or Cas are therefore average.
Which four Leeds players would make it into the Cas team? If we start with full backs Golding and Walker make two already.

cogito ergo sum
Academy Player
Academy Player

Post by cogito ergo sum » 26 Mar 2018, 20:36

Hall, Moon, Singleton, Walker, Watkins

HuddsTigers
Verified
Grand Final Winner
Grand Final Winner

Post by HuddsTigers » 26 Mar 2018, 20:40

If we are talking starting 17, I’d have Roberts at 6 and Walker at full-back.

Think Millo, JSL, Moors and Cook are better than Leeds’ front row options.

I’d probably take Hall but don’t think Watkins has shown enough consistency to displace Webster or Shenton.

I’d have Cuthbertson at loose forward and Milner off the bench.
In the spirit of the final Blackadder episode - Goooodbyeee!

Hiddentiger

Post by Hiddentiger » 26 Mar 2018, 20:45

cogito ergo sum wrote:Hall, Moon, Singleton, Walker, Watkins
Yeah interesting - I agree and maybe add Myler (though not on Friday's performance) and Briscoe - really solid this season after a nightmare last year.

Funnily enough I'd put about the same number of Cas players into Leeds - horses for courses and all that.

lurcher
Verified
Super League Player
Super League Player

Post by lurcher » 26 Mar 2018, 20:53

having watched it back McDermott incredibly rudely decides he's had enough of the interview and with the words "I'm off, I've got a lot of people to talk to" he turns on his heel and walks away.
jo brand is eddie warings love child

Hiddentiger

Post by Hiddentiger » 26 Mar 2018, 21:03

lurcher wrote:having watched it back McDermott incredibly rudely decides he's had enough of the interview and with the words "I'm off, I've got a lot of people to talk to" he turns on his heel and walks away.
Exactly - some of the media deserves all the rudeness it gets. I know what you're saying but I'd far rather have a coach who has the balls to refuse to be a slave to the media's agenda - one of the reasons why I like both McDermott and Powell.